What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External Volume control mod for Stern Spike 2

Bertwav

Site Supporter
Does anyone know why US sellers say that this won't work on non-USA games? I haven't found a UK seller either, so considering making my own.
The connections/wiring and diagnostic/volume buttons board have the same part numbers I think 🤔

Not a very helpful response.

The OP is suggesting looking into making a non-USA version. Asking the question - they seem to be the the same electronics… is it wiring challenge or something more technical.

Maybe some Spike 2 gurus can help answer this question?

Not a very helpful response.

The OP is suggesting looking into making a non-USA version. Asking the question - they seem to be the the same electronics… is it wiring challenge or something more technical.

Maybe some Spike 2 gurus can help answer this question?
I thought it WAS a helpful response

I’ll be more helpful by confusing the situation!

Same part #. Says North American cabinets only and NOT spike 2. How’s that for muddying the Waters? 😂

Personally, I’d email Pinball life and ask them for a copy of the instructions

Not really, my UK machine also has a six pin connector, I think they all do.
Euro machines used to have the tournament button installed maybe that’s why, but just email Terry and ask for a copy of the instructions (I looked quickly online didn’t find them)

It fits in the tournament button hole, I'm pretty sure UK machine don't have it. So it's compatible just you have no where to put it

It the same as stern spike 2 headphone plate, fits in the dollar bill hole on the coin door, which up until recently UK machines didn't have.

The thread is getting more helpful :)

If it’s about where to mount the toggle switch without messing the cabinet - perhaps something with the coin slot could be designed and 3D printed?

Collywobbles did something similar to retro mount Insider Connect the Turtles I bought off him. Just an idea

Thanks for the replies.
The instructions are simple, replace tournament hole blanking with new button, insert cables/connectors into existing loom.
My Rush Pro has the tournament hole, so if that's the only issue, it'll work I guess 🤔

Doesnt it say on the actual sales page that is not compatible due to a missing 6 pin plug/socket and nothing to do with the tournament button hole.

Please note: This kit WILL NOT WORK on non-USA games! Only domestic (USA) machines have the six-pin connector required to install this unit.

I think I want a couple of these now 🤦🏼‍♂️, US postage is ridiculous though.

Saying that, I'm sure some clever person on here could start knocking them up, looks like its just an up/down toggle switch in a round mounting plate, and then the wiring is just straight through for the 2 service buttons and then goes via the terminals on the rocker switch for the volume up, volume down and ground cables, so just need the 2 x 6pin connectors and a back to back for one of them.

Doesnt it say on the actual sales page that is not compatible due to a missing 6 pin plug/socket and nothing to do with the tournament button hole.

Please note: This kit WILL NOT WORK on non-USA games! Only domestic (USA) machines have the six-pin connector required to install this unit.
That's one reason I asked because I have the 6 pin connector

Saying that, I'm sure some clever person on here could start knocking them up, looks like its just an up/down toggle switch in a round mounting plate, and then the wiring is just straight through for the 2 service buttons and then goes via the terminals on the rocker switch for the volume up, volume down and ground cables, so just need the 2 x 6pin connectors and a back to back for one of them.
That's my assumption, but I didn't want to put something together and take out a board, not sure if I'm missing something.
But, I can't see why it shouldn't work.

You could always heath robinson it, drill a couple of holes in the coin door and have some form of mechanical button lever that when you press it presses down on the original volume buttons, either that or just two bigger holes above the buttons you can poke you fingers through and operate them.

Yes for spike 2 only but you don't need the pinsound board as I haven't got one in any of my machines.. 6 pin connector to node board and a setting to menu allows to adjust volume witb headphone in/out or both

I know this doesn’t help but I had one fitted to an IMDN pro I had and it was a great addition/mod, and something I’d really like on my Metallica.
No idea how to do it though 🤔 😆

If someone lifts up their playfield so they can get to the buttons with the door closed.
Will the volume up and down work??

Do modern sterns have that hole drilled on the front. I honestly can not remember!

The buttons do connect with a 6 pin molex plug with 5 of the pins being used.

This would be very easy to make if the answer to the question at the top is yes!

You could even make an inline adaptor to where the door buttons plug into the cabinet node to break out these cables - which I think would be easier.

If someone lifts up their playfield so they can get to the buttons with the door closed.
Will the volume up and down work??

Do modern sterns have that hole drilled on the front. I honestly can not remember!

The buttons do connect with a 6 pin molex plug with 5 of the pins being used.

This would be very easy to make if the answer to the question at the top is yes!

You could even make an inline adaptor to where the door buttons plug into the cabinet node to break out these cables - which I think would be easier.
Yes to all the above.
I've seen versions that plug into the loom at the node board and others at the coin door buttons.

At $30 in the US they're cheap enough to buy rather than make, but would be 3 times that if imported I guess.

It's got to be well under £10 in parts.

1 x Rocker switch
1 x Button blank (or use the one already in cabinet)
3 x spade connectors for switch
2 x Molex connectors and pins
1 x header pins for back to back to original connector.
Wire.

Why would anyone want one though? It’s not exactly a hardship opening the door to access thee buttons.

I don’t think I’ve ever thought during a game that I wanted to adjust the volume for the next 30 seconds or so. Do people turn them down for a quick chat with their other half’s?

Having previously had kids party’s and pinballs the last thing I’d ever want is to give them access to turn the bloody things up.

Why would anyone want one though? It’s not exactly a hardship opening the door to access thee buttons.

I don’t think I’ve ever thought during a game that I wanted to adjust the volume for the next 30 seconds or so. Do people turn them down for a quick chat with their other half’s?

Having previously had kids party’s and pinballs the last thing I’d ever want is to give them access to turn the bloody things up.
For me it’s mainly for my music pins, when Fear of the Dark kicks in I can turn it up and sing along….. until I get told to shut the **** up - then I can turn it down 😂

I can see the advantage of it for music pins so you can do it mid ball without loosing the 48v when opening the coin door and end up draining.

I've had a fee occasions after turning Rush on and starting a game where I've thought the music was either too loud or quiet and wanted to adjust it straight away and either have to wait for the ball to drain or time it perfectly with getting in the scoop.

Yeah reason I put them on mine is mostly I have music on in the background and sometimes I turn the pins down when playing other times I'll turn up the pin and the music down just saves me faffing about and the pinsound ones are relatively cheap and also have the headphone socket if I want to pop one in

Back
Top Bottom