What's new

External Subwoofer vs This?

Damm, what a PITA.....why does something so simple have to turn out to be a nightmare.
Hope you have better luck with next one......

Last edited:
This guy on Pinside had an external Polk10 + Flipper Fidelity - ripped both out in favour of Pinwoofer. I guess if the Pin was a keeper then maybe the way to go......DD51667C-3FF1-4711-89AB-80BBDAADFF3F.png

@JWG9999 I've read a few places where people have used subs and had similar issues you experienced. Guys who have Polk 10 with no issues then purchased additional subs for other Pins in their collections and ran into issues identical to yours so seems some subs have issues with the line level setup tapped off the base speaker. Just emailed these guys, think a cleaner Subwoofer install is the way to go with the PinSub SAM Stern Kit and will take the risk out of any incompatibility issues, uses the RCA.
It taps straight from the sound card. The PINsmx allows proper sharing of the Sub up to 4, though I will just want the convenience of a tidy install and 1 pin using the sub anyone time.
http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

Last edited:
@JWG9999 I've read a few places where people have used subs and had similar issues you experienced. Guys who have Polk 10 with no issues then purchased additional subs for other Pins in their collections and ran into issues identical to yours so seems some subs have issues with the line level setup tapped off the base speaker. Just emailed these guys, think a cleaner Subwoofer install is the way to go with the PinSub SAM Stern Kit and will take the risk out of any incompatibility issues, uses the RCA.
It taps straight from the sound card. The PINsmx allows proper sharing of the Sub up to 4, though I will just want the convenience of a tidy install and 1 pin using the sub anyone time.
http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

Like that idea!! (http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58)

Subs as we know are non-location critical... and it would also mean that glass-rumble is non-existant.

Saying that, I'd be at a loss if "SHOWTIME" on TAF didnt include Glass rumble ...

That does look good.
Top tip for people who don’t know, put your sub in the corner of a room to get deeper louder bass. Can make a big difference.

Think I’m convinced with this, looks like a good enough solution - I’ll give the headphone kit a miss but the direct connection from the Amp to the Sub with the PINsmx looks a safe bet to me:-

Response from Pinnovators:
Hi Tony.
Some people say it’s better to tap the amp how I do it.
I attenuate the signal a bit so a short circuit won’t damage the amp if the subwoofer cable ever gets shorted.
To me, the sound is the same. I try and supply a clean plug-and-play solution so you don’t have to build anything.
The PINsmx will mix up to 4 machines into one subwoofer.
It also lets you tweak the levels and it keeps the grounds of the machines completely isolated from each other.

Consider a headphone kit for AC/DC! It will sound amazing!
We used to take an AC/DC BIB LE around for pinball shows.

Here is the link to the sub kit that is used in both machines.

http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=38

Here is the link to the PINsmx mixer.
http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58

If you are interested in a headphone kit, I just need to know what type of coin door(s) you have.
The headphone kits also have a subwoofer output (sub cable is $10)

Thanks for asking!

Mark

One thing to note folks. The settings for sterns out of the box on volume/sound are rubbish. TG posted his settings for b66 on pinside and I adjusted mine to his setup and wow what a difference.

Going to tinker with some of the the other games in the same light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I find Spike is actually pretty good sound to be honest. It’s the SAM that I find is p*** poor.
I’ll just be adding Subs to those....but yeah, I’ll try and have a play around with the settings 👍

Ordered 2 x SAM kits and the PINsmx, I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives from US ...
Now just to get a reasonable sub with RCA inputs as can't be ****d moving my 500w Cambridge Audio Sub back + forth off my AV Receiver location, weights a ton :)

Subs as we know are non-location critical... and it would also mean that glass-rumble is non-existant.

For this to be true in the "can't tell where it is" sense, you need to make sure you're using a steep low pass filter so there's nothing above about 60-80Hz going through the sub. The problem there may be that the small, rubbish speakers in most pins won't produce much decent output below 120Hz, so you may have quite a gap, or be tempted to allow the sub to go all the way through to 150-200Hz, in which case you may find you have more bass output, but it sounds odd.

Location in the room will affect perceived sound output quite considerably and that will vary at different locations in the room, so don't be surprised if it sounds great stood in front of one pin, but is almost inaudible as room mode cancellations kick in.

Best plan is put it 12-18 inches from a corner (usually, if you can't be bothered to muck about). Or if you put it right in the corner, it will probably 'boom' and sound really loud and maybe you can save the cost of adding a shaker motor ;)

Best plan is put it 12-18 inches from a corner (usually, if you can't be bothered to muck about). Or if you put it right in the corner, it will probably 'boom' and sound really loud and maybe you can save the cost of adding a shaker motor ;)
My 15” subs don’t boom from being tight in a corner, tried them in all sorts of positions and sounded deepest there. But yes shakes the f..k out of the house😂

Ordered 2 x SAM kits and the PINsmx, I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives from US ...
Now just to get a reasonable sub with RCA inputs as can't be ****d moving my 500w Cambridge Audio Sub back + forth off my AV Receiver location, weights a ton :)
Well it works as described.
I’ve hooked up my Cambridge Aero 9 500w - which is now doubling up as a shaker motor - p****ing the Mrs off as it really is shaking the ground on MET and AC/DC.
I’ve borrowed my sub from my AV system so will be ordering another from Richer Sounds tomorrow @ £179, pay an extra 16 quid for the 6 year warranty........
Bit over kill for the Pins but don’t care as it sounds awesome and shakes the very ground I stand on.
Install is simple.
Pictures attached.57255E66-AA4B-44E4-A7B7-8C4A5B03EDC1.jpeg9C96F546-96A1-4ADA-A191-46CC2CAED334.jpegBD00EA64-746B-483C-A8F3-7AD4EB3B597D.jpeg72005492-7E99-4FA2-A5EF-4B4AFB95C293.jpegECCC37C9-890A-464A-B6B4-FC0210EC90CD.jpegF561EA3E-E5D6-4F86-8453-A0F53939D562.jpegC6C1ABA1-59F9-4AD9-BF47-188E70C2420E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom