What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of Cash

Cash is preferred but we can also take card payments. We pay out the comp prizes in cold hard cash you see, and I pay the transport in cash if the van hirers don't mind that.

Cash is a total pain in the **** to deal with but cashless transactions have thrown up some stupid ideas.

I saw a festival advertised recently. All cashless but clearly struggling with Wi-Fi etc. As such they wanted people to pre order bar tokens on their phones. BUT the initial preorder was £30.
David and I went to Arctangent last year and it was 'cashless' - you had to top up an account and use your wristband to pay. After the festival, you could claim back any outstanding balance - as long as you claimed within a week or two. Unfortunately some people were not able to get into their online accounts within the time limit so couldn't get their money back, and as it was run by an outside company, the festival organisers didn't want to know. There were also a lot of people who didn't get their promised refunds. At the festival, my wristband ran out of money - and topping it up was meant to be 'easy' but was a total nightmare. There was no mobile signal onsite (or very, very little) and they told us 'do not bring cards with you'. :) Luckily David was able to use his card and got his remaining balance back - but it was a huge headache.

We're going again this year, and funnily enough, because of all the complaints they have gone back to just standard 'pay by card' method...

Cash and using card only both has its pros and cons for me I think.

Going out for beers with the mates I prefer to take cash so I roughly know what I have spent when I wake up in the morning with change. Though the last time I was out I had a few coins in change and still had transactions on card.

Today I also had to take cash back out at the supermarket, paid for shopping with card and but also got cash back as it was my son's friends birthday and he wanted to put cash in the birthday card.

I was in Norway a few months ago, you'll never see people with cash. Well you will but it's very rare you do and it's been like this for years. I asked Norwegians about this and they said if you are going about with cash its looked upon the person is quite wealthy.

Paying for high value items buying and selling, back transfers and card payments is for sure the way to go.

A lot of the time when food shopping I see people faffing about taking forever paying with phones and watches, cash appears would be way quicker at times.

Last year I took Scottish notes to Pinfest, paying at the bar was no problem with Scottish notes. The delay was them trying to count and work out what the change was.

If cash appears quicker to pay with than tapping a watch you have on your wrist, then that is the person not the technologies fault.

Last edited:
About 5 years ago all the student pubs near us went onto an app system. Since Covid so many others have followed suit. Not having to go to the bar or cope with being able to talk is a dangerous route in terms of regulating drinking.

I’ll admit to never knowing how much drinks are now as it’s just tap and go. There’s far more of a manual check when you hand over a note and you see how little change you get.

We’re not there yet but the time of the £10 pint in a pub isn’t far away (I’d guess maybe 3 years time as £6.50-£7.50 is now common near work). If I paid in cash I’d be horrified and think twice about paying it. Putting it on a card I probably won’t even notice.

Automatic tipping is also coming in to app purchases at some local pubs so that adds another 10%. I don’t miss waiting at the bar counter though. When I was young I loved the random conversations you’d have. Now I’m older and grumpier I don’t want to talk to drunks. 😉

Cash, and the ability to transact anonymously are absolutely fundamental to a free society. Like anonymous voting.

Many folk will only realise this when it has gone and a Chinese social credit system has been introduced.

Conspiracy theory ? Some banks are already estimating your carbon footprint.

What happens when you are de-banked and you can't even use cash ?

Or when the government (as per Trudeau) freezes your bank account for disagreeing with him and you can't use cash ?

My youngest son finished his exams in Exeter and went to Weatherspoons with his mates down there. He told his Newcastle mates that he was out at spoons so they asked him his table number to send him a few table served drinks in celebration, which they duly did. Then they started to have a bit of fun sending random small stuff like a pack of nuts. Breaking point for spoons happened when the manager came over with 2 fried eggs on a plate and told them they would all be kicked out if there were any more stupid orders. They wouldn't have had that fun without the app.

Why would a pub manager kick people out for ordering stuff? If you offer 2 eggs and someone buys it then it’s not the customers fault. Presumably everything ordered was paid for.

I would still see that as a pub problem rather than a customer’s. Similar to people ordering a cup of tea for 99p.

(Although the chances of you being served a “chef’s special” is probably worryingly high 😂)

Corrected:
I don’t agree the conspiracy theory that the drive for a cashless society is by a higher power to control you. However, the legitimacy and the value of the currency you have, either cash or digital, is controlled.
That isn’t to say we shouldn’t be concerned of the impact from a cashless society on some people or how such a society could be misused by a bad government.
But the benefits to securing transactions and protecting people are massively beneficial. Cash is great but is insecure, that lack of tracking leads to currency lost or stolen.

Last edited:
The term "conspiracy theory" was coined by the CIA I believe in the 60s to discredit people that thought outside the box and for themselves.

It's used far too frequently for my liking. End of the day as I see it cash as we know will be fazed out and we will goto the digital pound.

You could reply to the consultation for that early in the year.

The term appears in recorded use in 1863, predating the CIA. With pretty much the same meaning as now. I used the term as DRD did.
Obviously, all information sources could have been faked.

Even the term 'conspiracy theory' has a conspiracy theory behind it? Love that :D

I agree that Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) are the next evolutionary step. It's basically crypto currency, but controlled by the government. The downsides are they can track every transaction you make. The upsides (mainly for them) are easier integration to things like benefit payouts, tax refunds etc.

If people object to the control that CBDCs give to the government, then there are other forms of crypto payments that are not centrally controlled.

Cash is dead. I stopped taking a wallet out with me about a year ago. I realised I only need my phone (and contactless payments) and there's no point carrying anything else. I only keep a small amount of change in the car if I bump into an antiquated parking meter

The banks are trying to close crypto down .....

Restricting your ability to pay for stuff. In the 1930s the Americans made holding gold an imprisonable offense. 1930s saw the rise of some other nasty political elements too.

The lessons of our grandparents' era have been forgotten......

The usa more or less had to do that to recover their economy. they needed to devalue the us$ and they also needed to prevent individuals and organisations from profiteering on the suddenly hike in the gold price expressed in us$.

on the face of it it seemed crazy, but it was the right move, imho

I've noticed more and more small businesses especially around the coast are going cash only and when asked it's due to the charges.

Anyone wanting to be cash only are going to lose a **** load of sales. It’s the flip side of being cash free.

I suspect over 50% of people now carry little to no cash. There’s probably a big generational divide.

I've noticed more and more small businesses especially around the coast are going cash only and when asked it's due to the charges.
Thing is, all card purchases incur a fee to the vendor. In turn, the vendor can offset that cost against his business running costs, if he or she made a profit to offset against of course. So the purchaser is actually paying more. On the flip side, if I sell a machine for cash and bank it, I get charged for that by my bank. But I in turn, offset that charge as a business cost , assuming I make a profit that financial year.

Thing is, all card purchases incur a fee to the vendor. In turn, the vendor can offset that cost against his business running costs, if he or she made a profit to offset against of course. So the purchaser is actually paying more. On the flip side, if I sell a machine for cash and bank it, I get charged for that by my bank. But I in turn, offset that charge as a business cost , assuming I make a profit that financial year.
It's not worth the time and effort if most of your transactions are for very small amounts . Unlike selling a machine. Give the gov and banks total control of your money as in a cashless society and they have control of you.

Corrected:
I don’t agree the conspiracy theory that the drive for a cashless society is by a higher power to control you.

Yeah controlling you would be a conspiracy. Most people are already there anyway with just a card or like China it's phone everywhere.

In Sweden people did the hand chip or they do the hand chip "because it's easier". If you're in Tescos you just swipe your palm over, not for me.

Digital ID, currency (Gov Coins) then transhumanism (integrating with computing) < none of that is a conspiracy

1699814425409.png

Yeah controlling you would be a conspiracy. Most people are already there anyway with just a card or like China it's phone everywhere.

In Sweden people did the hand chip or they do the hand chip "because it's easier". If you're in Tescos you just swipe your palm over, not for me.

Digital ID, currency (Gov Coins) then transhumanism (integrating with computing) < none of that is a conspiracy

View attachment 237446

People in Sweden are not chipped. I was living in Stockholm around 2015 when this emerged as a news story. It's horse ****. Everyone does have a personal ID number however, which is needed for a lot of basic transactions like buying a phone etc

People in Sweden are not chipped. I was living in Stockholm around 2015 when this emerged as a news story. It's horse ****. Everyone does have a personal ID number however, which is needed for a lot of basic transactions like buying a phone etc

Yeah well I didn't say that. There were a few thousand people (3000+) that have already tested a similar hand chip which was in Sweden. It's an example of cashless forms making their way in.

Yeah well I didn't say that. There were a few thousand people (3000+) that have already tested a similar hand chip which was in Sweden. It's an example of cashless forms making their way in.
I'm not disagreeing with you about cashless society becoming a thing. Along with total government control and oppression. Just saying people in Sweden aren't paying for anything with chip implants as a norm. They are very sheep-like as a nation though, so a great place to introduce it.

Just saying people in Sweden aren't paying for anything with chip implants as a norm. They are very sheep-like as a nation though, so a great place to introduce it.
No of course not and I think it's long way off for full cashless societies anyway. In the future or even now for some people something like that's just going to be more convenient for them.

There has been a 7% increase for the first time in 10 years in cash transactions. Maybe people are getting wise to what a cashless society actually means.

Back
Top Bottom