What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of Cash

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
A quick tale from this morning to pay in cash in my local town...

My HSBC bank shut awhile back, as did most others inc nat wast etc. There used to be an HSBC in horsforth (the next closest town) but that shut in july this year, so the only one left is in the centre of leeds. A 20 min train ride or 35 min bus journey...

So i thought Post Office, went to pay the cash in there this morning, an old dear in front of me paying in 5p's, handed the cash over, english notes ok, but the scottish notes were rejected as they cannot verify them apparently (i thought rubbish but anyway) ...

So scottish money in england is almost impossible to use now.. and cash generally is becoming more and more a hassle from pinball jobs. A shame

A quick tale from this morning to pay in cash in my local town...

My HSBC bank shut awhile back, as did most others inc nat wast etc. There used to be an HSBC in horsforth (the next closest town) but that shut in july this year, so the only one left is in the centre of leeds. A 20 min train ride or 35 min bus journey...

So i thought Post Office, went to pay the cash in there this morning, an old dear in front of me paying in 5p's, handed the cash over, english notes ok, but the scottish notes were rejected as they cannot verify them apparently (i thought rubbish but anyway) ...

So scottish money in england is almost impossible to use now.. and cash generally is becoming more and more a hassle from pinball jobs. A shame
They haven’t liked taking £50 notes around here for years😂

They haven’t liked taking £50 notes around here for years😂

There's another opposite tale about me trying to get some new £50 notes with alan turing on in my local town when they were first released.

The faces on the people in the banks and the post office.... hahahahahah

'A £50 note, what do you want one of those for.....'

IMG_8362.JPG

Last edited:
As someone who doesn’t work in the trade etc.. cash is useless to me. I never carry it.

I understand the argument for it but on a personal level it’s dead to me.

I pay for everything on a card. Just returned from a week in the Peak District and found it frustrating that the tiny middle of nowhere car parks are all cash. So paying for parking was a pain. Toilets needed cash to enter.

If someone wants to pay me in cash I find it an inconvenience because i then have to make a real effort to go into town and pay it into my bank.

The only good thing about cash is there is no associated “transaction fee” when you use it to buy something. Compared with a card transaction that results in a small transfer of wealth to the financial institutions.

Reactions: JMP
My Mum struggles without cash. She can't use banking apps and the telephones are automated. The constant prompts for new passwords that include symbols and numbers are a massive issue because what she ends up with is an unmemorable password. She's just too old for all this new stuff.

We've lost the last bank from my town. The last time I spent any actual money was in Norway in April.

I'm afraid I'm the opposite! Hate the fact that all prices are going up (charges on each transaction gotta go somewhere) and I often cannot find an actual person to ask advice of /pay etc.
More relevant to my folks - both parents are unable to go out now - blind /disabled - so much modern 'online' life is now restricted from them ( getting worse when everything is done via internet and all human staff disappear. My dad has no 'phone, my mum uses hers as a 'phone but no more. Cannot expect 80/90+ to suddenly get tech savvy and navigate the scam-laden internet - or even the auto supermarket checkouts.
Enabling cost cutting but lowering quality of service is not the way to go in my 'curmudgeonly' book!
Feeling old!

Few months ago, everything including my sim card, bank acc and cards were hacked. Well... they tried so I rang bank etc. to block it. It took them seconds to gain access to my bank app but over two weeks for useless HSBC support (based in some India village, had dogs barking on me over the phone - really) to put it back to life. If not cash that I had saved, I would be not able to make food shopping, buy fuel or pay my rent.

We'll be trading chickens and livestock for bags for sugar and beer next. I loves advances, me. So if anyone will accept cows and pigs for Scared Stiff / Safecracker, give me some notice so I can go out midnight rustling.

Maybe a minority view here but I have embraced the decline of cash as a way to speed up the whole buying process and quite frankly save a load of hassle that comes with it.

Having someone turn up to buy a 4K pinball by cash then having to count the notes and feeling like a criminal when the bank ask where your new found wealth has came from!
Or the simple things like standing in a Coffee shop Q behind the penny brigade where a tap on my watch pays instantly.

The only negative I feel is the fact it’s too easy to spend money now but the bonus is the speedy transactions, cash back on the cards I use and the freebies the Apps give you in the form of free coffee or slight discounts.

I may be in a lucky minority here but all my accounts are free and I don’t own have a Credit Card.
In fact my online only Chase App is my new goto with cash back on purchases and all my utility bills + a lot lot more.
It also has 1% interest on my spending account and 4.1% on anything I sweep over into the savings one with instant access should an elusive pin turn up.
I feel for the older generation but let’s face it this was always going to happen when we like it or not.
Cash is no longer King and I bet the majority suffering now apart from the elderly are black market traders, drug dealers and worse!

Recently sold a few bits off and had a pile of cash, chase bank don’t accept cash? Starling only accepts £1000 cash each year? And my wife’s Halifax’s only accept £2995 cash per month? Wow when did all that happen?
Don’t get me started on cheques? Recently had a cheque forced on me should be easy to cash right wrong! chase don’t accept cheques? I had to wait for it to be posted to me then had to post it on then had to wait for it to clear all in over two weeks to receive my money??

Recently sold a few bits off and had a pile of cash, chase bank don’t accept cash? Starling only accepts £1000 cash each year? And my wife’s Halifax’s only accept £2995 cash per month? Wow when did all that happen?
Don’t get me started on cheques? Recently had a cheque forced on me should be easy to cash right wrong! chase don’t accept cheques? I had to wait for it to be posted to me then had to post it on then had to wait for it to clear all in over two weeks to receive my money??
yeah I was surprised about these ‘cash limits’ that have appeared to. And I had to check the chase rules, lol. I mean I don’t get much cash these days anyway but it does build up over 6 months/year etc from various things. Might just knock it on the head completely now even though it’s still a perfectly legal and normal payment method lol

Imagine a £5k pin sale then only being able to pay 1/5 in each year , wtf.. ha ha just drives it underground

Annoyingly HMRC always refund my VAT by cheque. But I recently discovered I can pay them in just by taking a photo of the cheque with the bank's app on my phone.

Annoyingly HMRC always refund my VAT by cheque. But I recently discovered I can pay them in just by taking a photo of the cheque with the bank's app on my phone.

I bank with Barclays, their banking app will let you deposit cheques via a picture, but only up to £1K.

That said, I feel Barclays seem to be up there with the worst of banks! Inept in so many ways! Their latest was cancelling my overdraft, the letter explained as I haven’t used it in many years and also if I was now assessed for an overdraft I would no longer be offered this amount on an overdraft! And that princely sum was 1.3% of my annual income 🤪🤪🤪

Banks, they’re up their with some of the most annoying things in society 😡

Chris.

but the scottish notes were rejected as they cannot verify them apparently (i thought rubbish but anyway)
I visit Scotland fairly reguarly - and always use card/nfc where i can. The reason? Cannot find anywhere south of blackpool-ish that accepts them...
Most note acceptors in Fruit machines can be programmed easilly for both (Just a different dataset). Suspect the reason is that people just cant be bothered with the extra hassles...

Better warn Daventry that Scottish money is coming.

A few years ago I nearly convinced a vendor at the motor show that a Scottish pound was worth £1.20.

I bank with Barclays, their banking app will let you deposit cheques via a picture, but only up to £1K.

That said, I feel Barclays seem to be up there with the worst of banks! Inept in so many ways! Their latest was cancelling my overdraft, the letter explained as I haven’t used it in many years and also if I was now assessed for an overdraft I would no longer be offered this amount on an overdraft! And that princely sum was 1.3% of my annual income 🤪🤪🤪

Banks, they’re up their with some of the most annoying things in society 😡

Chris.
Bank of Dave is a great watch to see how rigged the system is..

Cash is a total pain in the **** to deal with but cashless transactions have thrown up some stupid ideas.

I saw a festival advertised recently. All cashless but clearly struggling with Wi-Fi etc. As such they wanted people to pre order bar tokens on their phones. BUT the initial preorder was £30.

That would be a straight no from me. I don’t want to commit to drinking 5 pints. It may well happen but I want to be the one making that decision.

Regarding beggars they all have card readers on the underground now. As do bootleg sellers etc. Anyone stupid enough to pay this clearly it at massive risk of rogue transactions.

Please bring cash to pinfest
Is cash preferred at pinfest?
I also need to ask Chris B his preferred payment method?
Gets complicated. I’m actually at an all inclusive in Lanzarote at the mo, my Mrs’ 9 yr old wanted a slushy last night but was told €2 as only free in the day.
No problem, produced a €10 but no the whole complex is card only.
I miss the good old days of cash 😐

Back
Top Bottom