What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electroluminescent (EL) paper - any experience?

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
I'm considering sticking some of this stuff behind the laser cut side rails that came on my tron.

Anyone got any general tips from using it?

Does it run off the standard 12v DC you can find in the Stern SAM era games?

Does it shine on both sides, or just one?

Can it be cut any way i want?

Draw much current?

Good uk suppliers?

etc...

I'm considering sticking some of this stuff behind the laser cut side rails that came on my tron.

Anyone got any general tips from using it?

Does it run off the standard 12v DC you can find in the Stern SAM era games?

Does it shine on both sides, or just one?

Can it be cut any way i want?

Draw much current?

Good uk suppliers?

etc...

I've got my cut outs on the side rails and the apron cards illuminated with EL paper. I'll post a pic once I can find it, or you can see in person at Swavesey, and take a look at the wiring inside.

Runs off a 12v feed
Only lights one side
I got all mine from http://elpanelandtape.co.uk/
Obviously didn't need a power supply, just the transformer, cables and EL paper itself.

Make sure you get the paper with soldering points on it, not the connectors. The connectors will be too bulky to fit under the side rails.
It can be cut almost anyway you want, it must still have at least one soldering point on any pieces you cut.

Also make sure you match the transformer to the size of paper you are going to illuminate (not the size of paper you buy). Too small and it won't light up, too big and it'll burn the paper out. All guidelines are on the site

Before you cut any of the EL paper, cut templates out of cardboard, so you can maximise the usage of the EL paper, and also ensure all of the cut out is covered.
Very simple to fit. Even I managed to do it.

EL MET.jpg MET EL2.jpg

Both pics show it powered up, one at night, one in daylight.

Notice that the size of paper I bought (A4) wasn't quite big enough to do both cutouts without leaving the tips not fully lit.

I've got my cut outs on the side rails and the apron cards illuminated with EL paper. I'll post a pic once I can find it, or you can see in person at Swavesey, and take a look at the wiring inside.

Runs off a 12v feed
Only lights one side
I got all mine from http://elpanelandtape.co.uk/
Obviously didn't need a power supply, just the transformer, cables and EL paper itself.

Make sure you get the paper with soldering points on it, not the connectors. The connectors will be too bulky to fit under the side rails.
It can be cut almost anyway you want, it must still have at least one soldering point on any pieces you cut.

Also make sure you match the transformer to the size of paper you are going to illuminate (not the size of paper you buy). Too small and it won't light up, too big and it'll burn the paper out. All guidelines are on the site

Before you cut any of the EL paper, cut templates out of cardboard, so you can maximise the usage of the EL paper, and also ensure all of the cut out is covered.
Very simple to fit. Even I managed to do it.

Thanks Wayne. Pictures will be very useful as I can't make Swavesey.

So did you use the 12vdc supply from the machine, or is the transformer you mention required to take power from mains or 'somewhere in the machine' to 12vdc?

I was assuming i could wire the paper directly into the 12vdc power source down by the near/right side of the cabinet, like the ColorDMD, Speaker lights, and other random stuff.

Guessing the transformer size is calculated by the surface area of the paper/tape?

I'll need:

(2x) 280mm x 25mm - for the side rails. Probably EL tape.
&
(2x) 150mm x 60mm - for the backbox hinges. Probably EL paper.

Probably going to contact the people behind that website!

Thanks Wayne. Pictures will be very useful as I can't make Swavesey.

So did you use the 12vdc supply from the machine, or is the transformer you mention required to take power from mains or 'somewhere in the machine' to 12vdc?

I was assuming i could wire the paper directly into the 12vdc power source down by the near/right side of the cabinet, like the ColorDMD, Speaker lights, and other random stuff.

Guessing the transformer size is calculated by the surface area of the paper/tape?

I'll need:

(2x) 280mm x 25mm - for the side rails. Probably EL tape.
&
(2x) 150mm x 60mm - for the backbox hinges. Probably EL paper.

Probably going to contact the people behind that website!

The transformer is required. It takes its power from the 12v feed inside the cabinet. No need for any "external" power.

Make a template of what you need to light, and fit it like a jigsaw onto a piece of paper the same size as the EL paper you were considering. Remember that you could do with a slightly larger piece of EL paper, as the edges don't light up (as can be seen from my pic above)

Once you calculate the total area you will need, including the potential of any further add-ons that may come in the future, you can choose the transformer required. Everything is listed on the site - it's very simple to understand.

PS EL tape is EL paper. just a long thin shape

Back
Top Bottom