What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early 90's Data east MPU help

Banzaipinabll

Site Supporter
Alias
Mike
Data east early 90's MPU board, the circled resistors are getting very hot, you can see some heat damage to the board.

Having done some research it seems this maybe normal, does anyone here have the same situation, mine is very hot, to hot to touch

Have also read that you can maybe swap out the TIP42 for something else and remove the resistors, does anyone have experience of doing this

thanks

IMG_6223.JPG

I have a DE machine looking very similar and I am sure someone said this was usual. Burnt dust and stuff from years of heat.

It just seems so hot, very strange design. Maybe will give the mod a go to reduce the heat

Specification was changed around 1995 this board was out of a batman forever but all early boards with big white resistors are usually toasty. I recall reading of modifications to earlier boards to stop this issue. Maybe on pinside?

Attachments

• 20221022_211031.jpg
    20221022_211031.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 9
The below was on Pinside, I couldn't find what I recalled reading, but expect similar. Never done it myself, my boards already came as toasty as yours and never relished prospect of working on toasty boards. Own risk! Maybe somebody has actual experience of this on group?

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184674
Thanks, read all the text on Inside, wondering if anyone has done this mod or if it's even worth the hassle, some off the traces on some of the TIP42's don't look great, so I imagine the mod could be a pain, might just leave it.

It’s a normal effect, has been suggested to fit new ones but leave the legs longer to give more space between them and the board for increased cooling/ air flow

Well today when I turned it on, they all went hot, one resistor got so hot it's desoldered itself and started to smoke, what would cause that?

Back
Top Bottom