What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dim GI - where should I start looking for the cause

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
Basically the GI on my Taxi is really dim. The same bulbs put into Earthshaker are about twice as bright. So is this likely to be a poor connection on the power board connector, or where else should I be looking for the source of the dimness?

Any advices greatfully received!

Yes I would start with the connector.

I recently had this exact thing in a T2. After I fitted a new connector it fixed the issue. 👍🏻

I tend to change connectors and the header pins.

Also check the connector on the transformer in the base of cab that does the GI.

What you can do is use a 5v power supply and drive the GI strings directly off those (leaving them unplugged from the PCB of course). This will show if it is the GI strings themselves or an issue in the electronics side.

On top of the advice so far, what voltage reading are you getting across the bulb? Are the LED or filament bulbs?

I’m thinking this GI input connector on the Interconnect board is not good.

IMG_6685.jpeg

The first two pin sockets are really burned. Would this affect all the GI strings?

Last edited:
I’m thinking this GI input connector on the Interconnect board is not good.

View attachment 239413

The first two pin sockets are really burned. Would this affect all the go strings?
If they're that burnt then it'll likely be affecting the ability to pass current and isn't great.
I suggest you replace the connector (and potentially the male end on the PCB too depending on how burnt it is.) After doing so, monitor it when first turning on to make sure it's not a current fault (i.e. it doesn't smoke or smell or discolour when plugged in after replacing.)

Got to be cautious of the fire risk too if that melted.

On top of the advice so far, what voltage reading are you getting across the bulb? Are the LED or filament bulbs?

Filament. I would change
all to LEDs but the bulbs can only be accessed for topside which means dismantling half the playfield to get to them. They are not the normal bulb holders underneath that are screwed to the underneath of the playfield.

I’ll defo change the plug and header pins on the interconnect board and see what happens

I’m 90% sure that’ll solve it Paul. The current increases massively when burnt like that. Drop the current and your voltage should stabilise.

Back
Top Bottom