What's new

Demolished man !!!

I swear I posted on this thread later imploring Kev to work his magic on this, not because it's an awesome title but because it would be such an interesting project and shop log.

How far do you gave to go to fix a game in this condition without just throwing $$$ of new parts at it?

I know I'm an extremist for restoration but I'd love to sink my teeth into this!

@newdos, if you do as @DRD suggests and pick off the best bits I might be interested in having a go at the remaining project. Maybe it's about time I upgraded to the DMD era!!!
The plan is to have a go at this, but once I start if the rust just proves too much I may part it out but if you are interested @Nedreud I would give you first shout before I pull it to bits for parts.

CHeers Kev

I swear I posted on this thread later imploring Kev to work his magic on this, not because it's an awesome title but because it would be such an interesting project and shop log.

Yep, you did. I read it. @Paul has been messing again... or his host service had to switch to a backup copy of the site for some reason... :rolleyes:

May of just been a senior moment you may not of pressed send lol

To the contrary I posted the same time as two others beating them by seconds about something. It showed my post followed by their two posts and I was tempted to comment about my beating them to it. Later went back and notice my post was missing but the other two remained... So not a senior moment plus I do remember Peter's post earlier in this thread as does he...

OK help needed guys - Thanks to @Paul for supplying me with a U3 ROM for my sound issue but to no avail i'm afraid :( New chip in and the test still say bad U3 chksum error. I also get the three beeps on power up to confirm it as well. I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with the checksum on U3 as it is new so looks like ghost error of some sort ?

Anyone any ideas ???

Cheers Kev

Thats strange! It's a sound Rom, so completely virgin and unpatched - Checksum is verified when the Rom is burnt, so that should be fine.... :(

Thats strange! It's a sound Rom, so completely virgin and unpatched - Checksum is verified when the Rom is burnt, so that should be fine.... :(
I know I thought that paul but with either the original or your new ROM same error ????

ok update on soundcard issue - its not the ROMS surprise surprise - realised my STTNG has the same soundboard, so swapped the roms into that and it works ok. so the fault appears to be on the soundcard. if I take all the roms off the board I dont get the U3 checksum error, just an sound board interface error and guess thats because there are no ROMs present. If I just put U2 ROM in I still get the U3 checksum error - very weird!!!

Does anyone have any idea or may off seen this before ?? @pinballmania @replicas @Nedreud

Cheers in advance

kev

Ermmmm, the condition of my Corvette machine is about twice as bad as this matey lol!! In fact prob worse! Everything on the underside of mine is rusty, the playfield needs work, my cabinet has collapsed, I have missing/broken parts....the list goes on lol!

But, I'm not phased, even though this is my first pinball resto, it's gotta be easier than restoring rusty cars! I have contacts to blast and zinc coat all the metal and the rest is a bit of woodwork. It'lol be alright LOL

Go for it, restore that demo man!!

Dunc

sure is well shagged mate!! - now your contact for plating, may he be off any use to me Dunc ? ;)

Cheers Kev

haha! yeah it is! But watch this space, im on a mission to restore it. I bought it 4 years ago as my first pinball. Bought it blind off ebay, but it was only about £400. I have a set budget and will have it really tidy for that ;)

As for plating, these guys in derby :)
http://derbyplating.co.uk/

Dunc

haha! yeah it is! But watch this space, im on a mission to restore it. I bought it 4 years ago as my first pinball. Bought it blind off ebay, but it was only about £400. I have a set budget and will have it really tidy for that ;)

As for plating, these guys in derby :)
http://derbyplating.co.uk/

Dunc
Thanks Dunc - keep me posted on progress!!!!

@Dunc - have you used their services before? Just wondering if you had some idea of prices for the zinc plating and samples of the end result?

I'm following you on this one pal, i don't like to see any machine die the death, it just makes the others go up in value and I can't afford them as it is!! So keep it alive!!

I'm following you on this one pal, i don't like to see any machine die the death, it just makes the others go up in value and I can't afford them as it is!! So keep it alive!!
Gonna try my best matey!!!!

it's worth doing all this to get a pin going sometimes.My frank n pin aka Genesis wasn't even a pinball.I haf a populated playfield,power supply,loom and transformer.Ramps were mega mullered,and unobtainium at the time.Nearly every screw under the playfield had to treated or replaced due to rust.So after loads of work sourcing cab,backbox,translight,glass,llegs,cpu board,sound and driver boards and various other stuff it's fully working and been to many shos,and will be at NLP this year,coming from it's temporary home @Wizards_Hat .Sure it ain't mint,and i still ain't sorted the artwork but its now had about 1000 plays since coming back from the grave Sometimes it's good to do summat foor the experience even knowing full well,you'll never finanancially recoup the hours/money spent.Keep going Kev,and continuity check out the boards sockets traces to their destinations

Sometimes it's good to do summat foor the experience even knowing full well,you'll never finanancially recoup the hours/money spent.
Isn't this the story of all pinball machines? They'r ea labour of love and a total money pit really. Even at minimum wage if you quickly shop a pin by replacing all the rubbers, lamps, polishing the plastics, playfield and glass, and fettling any parts not working at their best you'd easily blow out 10 hours and made your pin "worth" £67 more ;)

I have completely lost all track of the time spent on my machines. I probably fettle, fix or polish most days (I work in my pinshack so temptation is always near!). If I do an hour one day, miss a day then do a couple the next I probably average 10 hours a week without any effort. Over the last two and half years that's well over 1,200 hours! Not sure my machines are worth £7k more and that doesn't include what I've spent on parts :p

Isn't this the story of all pinball machines? They'r ea labour of love and a total money pit really. Even at minimum wage if you quickly shop a pin by replacing all the rubbers, lamps, polishing the plastics, playfield and glass, and fettling any parts not working at their best you'd easily blow out 10 hours and made your pin "worth" £67 more ;)

I have completely lost all track of the time spent on my machines. I probably fettle, fix or polish most days (I work in my pinshack so temptation is always near!). If I do an hour one day, miss a day then do a couple the next I probably average 10 hours a week without any effort. Over the last two and half years that's well over 1,200 hours! Not sure my machines are worth £7k more and that doesn't include what I've spent on parts :p
Thanks Chris - certainly gonna see what I can do with it !!!

Cheers Kev

Back
Top Bottom