What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data east, is it supposed to sound like this?

Blake7

Site Supporter
I've got a Data East lethel weapon 3, the sounds ok and can go way louder that my ears or the speakers can take. The thing I'm not sure about is it's got quite a large sub/speaker in the cab that doesn't seem to do much. It's working and out putting a little sound but hardly noticeable and next to no base which I would expect is it's function. Is this normal?

Not sure on LW3 but the previous DE game Hook has a cardboard tube next to the cab speaker which is all about the bass

farm9.staticflickr.com_8877_16711192094_457f64c67b_c.jpg

That tube isn't present on my R&B which is odd because Hook predates that machine. I can only presume they ditched it as a cost saving method or because it's didn't have that much effect

@ronnie63 I've noticed you have one what's your sound like?

It's never been switched on due to it's state but have had 2 before and the sound should be very good, I believe each speaker has it's own amp on the sound board it could be an issue 3with that one?

That tube isn't present on my R&B which is odd because Hook predates that machine. I can only presume they ditched it as a cost saving method or because it's didn't have that much effect

My ST25 has the tube but LW3 doesn't

The sound out of the top 2 speakers in fine but those are all you hear, you need to go up close to the one in the cab to hear it. It does look like the cab speaker has been changed and it looks slightly larger than it should be could that effect it at all?

Have you been into the menus and ran a sound test?
Yes but it will only test left right or both, no option to test cab speaker.

I've just disconnected the top 2 speakers and I can turn the cab speaker right up and it sounds alright, probably better than with the other 2 attached due to the extra low end. It seems like a balance issue with the top speakers getting very loud before the cab speaker barely gets going.

I've got a DE Time Machine (1988). Just tried it, the sound from the cab speaker is at least as loud as the top 2 speakers if not louder. Strong on bass too. I'm sure your speaker should be the same.

Isn't the cab speaker only really there for the bass though?
That's the thing though it's not even doing bass it's doing next to nothing while the other 2 are very loud. I might try changing the caps on the sound board, if only I could find a list of the values it's hurting my brain trying to find them all on the schematics.

I just paid special attention to the cab speaker on my DE Hook - it's super loud and if anything drowns out the top speakers.

Back
Top Bottom