What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

data east dmd ***FIXED***

deathrow

Registered
Having a little fun with the the DMD on a Hook.

Its not outgassed but complete randomness. Garbled nonsense!

I have tried re-seating chips and the ribbons etc. Any help and pointers gratefully received :thumbs:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2433_zpsbe4ba56e.jpg

Last edited:
Done some PSU testing and I have a couple of issues.

Banded side of d5 according to pinwiki should be +68v I have +163v!!

I took all new caps off and checked all traces on the pcb for shorting. Nothing. I checked the caps and they seem to be fine. I even popped the old caps at C10 and C11 back on and still gives the same reading. Surely its not the new transistor I bought at TR3 is it?
Comes from a reputable supplier but I cant find any other reason for the fault other than this.

I cannot change the transistor back at TR3 as this was binned.

Help? :confused:

Last edited:
Check voltage at IF/M2 that feeds CN1 - looks like pins 1 and 8 for the DMD according to page 44 of the manual (48 of 95 in the pdf). page 45 (50 of 95) shows pin outs for CN1 pins 7 and 9.

Not familiar with the circuit off the top of my head, but yeah, if you have that high a voltage on the output, it has got to be a shorted transistor or regulator (definitely no shorted tracks?)

Not familiar with the circuit off the top of my head, but yeah, if you have that high a voltage on the output, it has got to be a shorted transistor or regulator (definitely no shorted tracks?)

Deff not shorted tracks. I have triple checked due to the board repairs. Even pulled things off the board again to get a real good check with the multimeter. All is ok.

MJE15030 on order just in case.

Going to look at all components of 68v section...

Last edited:
Pin wiki...

Measurements are with respect to ground. You should now have a HV +DC reading at the banded side of D5. Test for +68v output. You should also have a HV -DC reading at the non-banded side of D7. Test for -100v and -98v DC output.

Do not be concerned if measured voltages are not exact without a DMD connected, they will read lower under load. It can also be that the DMD display itself is faulty and taking down the PSU.

Capacitors C10 / C11 are important, if you can't test then replace them. Especially if it looks to bulge at ends, old capacitors dry out and then fail. C10 and C11 are both 100uF @ 200v. You should be able to use 150uF at a higher voltage for these, so 150uF @250v is fine.

D5 / C10 are for the +68v HV DC to the DMD Display. D7 / C11 are for the -98v and -110v HV DC to the DMD Display.

As you can see I have followed this and got nothing of the sort.

I unplugged the dmd and tested the pins at CN5, results are interesting.

1, e
2 -101.8
3, -113.9
4, +60v
5, +11.8
6, +4.9
7, -

Pin 4 is low. this should be 68v +/- 10%. I don't have a dmd connected.

Dont know what to think now lol

Last edited:
Done some digging on t'net and have found a repair guide thats looking just like my issue...

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm

"A very common problem on the small 16x132 displays (as used on five games, Checkpoint to Batman) is a failed R95 resistor. It is very common for this 33k, 1/2 watt resistor to go out of spec, or even open. This will cause the display to look garbled (see picture). Often the display itself is fine; it's just this resistor that needs to be replaced."

Off to see where I can dig me up one of those :hmm:

Got hold of a resistor from maplins, fitted and no difference.
Its got to the be the low 68v. 60 is just too low.

That rottendog is getting mighty tempting!

Last edited:
The 68v is set by a Zener diode. Don't have diagram to hand. It's worth switching your meter to AC and measure the 68v again. If you have large AC you have a problem elsewhere. If it's low then try replacing the Zener.

Done some PSU testing and I have a couple of issues.

Banded side of d5 according to pinwiki should be +68v I have +163v!!

I took all new caps off and checked all traces on the pcb for shorting. Nothing. I checked the caps and they seem to be fine. I even popped the old caps at C10 and C11 back on and still gives the same reading. Surely its not the new transistor I bought at TR3 is it?
Comes from a reputable supplier but I cant find any other reason for the fault other than this.

I cannot change the transistor back at TR3 as this was binned.

Help? :confused:

I still have the 163 at d5.

Pinwiki was a little misleading. I read it as a measurement point at the banded side of D5. I think you are just supposed to look for HV at D5 if the 68v is missing at the pin or DMD.

Im going to rebuild the 68v section. Including the zener.

Can you help with these parts in your shop?

+68v circuit

MJE340†NPN transistor TR3 Sourced
MPSA92PNP transistor TR1 Required
1n4760B68v zener diode D9 Required
1n52283.9v zener diode D6 Required
1n4004diode 400v @ 1A D5 Sourced
47Kresistor 1 Watt R8 Required
330Kresistor 0.5 (1/2) Watt R11 Required
1.5Kresistor 0.5 (1/2) Watt R12 Required
500 ohmresistor 10 Watt Ceramic R15 Required
100uF @200vCapacitor C10 Sourced

Last edited:
Ok, I now have a dmd 68v thats within tolerance. at 65v. (68 +/- 10%)
Replaced TR3 and 68v D9. psu now lurvelly :clap:

So what do I have? A nice and very bright but completely garbled dmd lol

Is there anyone I can post my dmd to that would be willing to try it in a working machine please? (beer token sent to anyone who can help me get this sorted)

Anyone on here have the power to produce a set of roms for me?

Going to replace the display rom so may as well have a full set.

Last edited:
Go back and check R95 again - replacing it before the HV circuit was fixed might not have been a good move as this may have been damaged by the 163v you found...

The dmd never got the 163v. It was getting a low 68v at just 60v.
I have read that the low voltage can effect the roms so Im going to look at that too.

I will however check R95 again as this was a metal film resistor from Maplins. How good they are is questionable.

Go back and check R95 again - replacing it before the HV circuit was fixed might not have been a good move as this may have been damaged by the 163v you found...

Gone back and checked R95 and found it open.
Took it off the board and checked it..

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2446_zps5803ba0a.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2448_zpsce9b326e.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2449_zpseae34afc.jpg

Now with it being a sunday I Pikey'd it and pulled a 33k from an old Bally board.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2450_zps454fd2a7.jpg

AND.......

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2447_zpsfe1a71a2.jpg

So @Moonraker you have saved me from buying a replacement and wasting money. Please PM me your PP so I can send you a couple of beer tokens! :thumbs:

To you guys searching this issue on a well known G search engine and found yourself here....
Check and re check R95 on the data east small DMD.
Get a decent quality resistor as a replacement. Don't go cheap!

Re-folow the power connector pins and the Ribbon pins. (easily done without removal of the glass)

If this thread helps you fix this issue then please donate a small thanks to the site!

Got my Hook set up there, dmd works fine but I have a problem where it's blowing a fuse.

Guess you don't need to send you dmd over now, happy days.

To you guys searching this issue on a well known G search engine and found yourself here....
Check and re check R95 on the data east small DMD.
Get a decent quality resistor as a replacement. Don't go cheap!

Re-folow the power connector pins and the Ribbon pins. (easily done without removal of the glass)

If this thread helps you fix this issue then please donate a small thanks to the site!

Not in front of it at the moment but I think it's the bottom one on the power supply board .. F5 is it ?

I will double check when I get home, causes no flipper or eject to plunger etc left my multimeter in work so will check high voltages tomorrow

Not in front of it at the moment but I think it's the bottom one on the power supply board .. F5 is it ?

I will double check when I get home, causes no flipper or eject to plunger etc left my multimeter in work so will check high voltages tomorrow

If you need me to check/match values etc when you take some readings just let me know.

Hi all, thought I would ask on this thread rather than start a new one, display went out on my hook today, checking voltages at CN5 pin 4 (+68v) has only got +20v , no AC voltage, am I likely looking at a diode, if so which, is it D5?

Thanks, Andy

Back
Top Bottom