What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Customs charges non pinball

daveyp

Site Supporter
Just after a bit of friendly help.

Bought a light from a company called Markslights.com (who are a Uk company and address is Leeds) and an expensive one at £323 after discounts back at start of December.

Payed by PayPal and never had any tracking or anything supplied so raised a case with PayPal then finally was given a tracking no.

The reason I ask for help is I have been sent a letter from Parcelforce for Import VAT at £9.96 and a clearance fee of £12.00.

Now I was reading all the comments about charges about pinball bits but don’t think I should be liable to pay these charges as I presumed the light was based in this country and not sent from China.

I have raised it with PayPal again and wondered if I get my money back as I feel I have been conned.

I payed on PayPal using my Amex if that makes a difference eg claim from them!

Any help appreciated.

Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just looked at the FAQs on the websites - it does say they come direct from suppliers

Think it is just bad luck, dont think you can do much about it.

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 19.55.44.png
I bet you are not the first or the last mate.
It is not great practice but it didnt take long to find this info.
I have been caught out by this kind of thing before.

If cust has absorbed additional costs and they weren’t notified on website or payment process they have a case.
Unfortunately however, in this event, shipping policy does mention the additional charges.
30443441-4A63-45F2-BA8B-8927CD0E40BC.jpeg

Well I feel a right idiot for this now and in there message it says if I don’t pay the customs charges then I lose the item and no come back on them.

Will see how PayPal deal with it then take it from there.

Thanks for the help guys I knew from pinball that people would have good advice.

Dave.

There are lots of websites purporting to be UK companies, using a .co.uk address, or have UK in the site name. When we were in the EU, and the item was coming from somewhere in EU it wasn't much of a problem (still annoying being deceived) as there were no additional charges, but now I can forsee a lot of people getting caught out like this. There are still lots of Chinese companies doing this though

Looks like an entrepreneurial 23 year old an his Mum set up the company in September. The one thing you could raise is that they say Tax included when it obviously isn't. 1610277425346.png

The company does not appear to be VAT registered at present.

There are lots of websites purporting to be UK companies, using a .co.uk address, or have UK in the site name. When we were in the EU, and the item was coming from somewhere in EU it wasn't much of a problem (still annoying being deceived) as there were no additional charges, but now I can forsee a lot of people getting caught out like this. There are still lots of Chinese companies doing this though

And this is the problem. Dropship companies.

I have a Wine fridge that i ordered from Amazon last week. Didnt have a clue where it was being shipped from. Seems that (according to the tracking) it has been shipped from China. Was supposed to be delivered on the 8th, and havent a clue as to where it is currently..... certainly not here.

I'm sure it will be hit for customs. If thats the case, they can have it back and i'll have a refund thank you - as far as i was aware it was coming from the UK!!

Am I better paying the customs charge or letting it get sent back to China.

Anyone know how PayPal works?

My thoughts are if it doesn’t get delivered then I’ll have a stronger case with them?

Dave.

I would pay the fees but contact the company as they state tax included. You might not have any luck but you never know.

David

Amazon do not support drop shipping. Though that directly gave me little help as Amazon like to deal or not deal in private.
I went down the GDPR route as the UK seller had shared my name and address with a 3rd party outside of the EU in contravention of “collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes”.
Took a week to get to the right person and then got a full refund. And keep the item and a gift voucher.

What does that supplier say about GDPR?

pay it, you might lose 323 or lose 30quid. put this down to experience and move on.
Yeah - It is one of those things.

It will never get returned to china, will sit in a warehouse for weeks and it will take your time and hassle to get a paypal refund.

Best thing to do is contact them and say you want the money for the customs, or simply write rakes of bad reviews on their facebook/google review site etc...

Also if it looks chinese rubbish - return it to the UK business -or if you really want to catch them out, ask them for the verification it is electrically safe. This could put the shytes up him to play ball. They just can not say 'it is marked with a CE sticker' as I can buy thousands of these on ebay and put them on any product.

e1f9b597b9274305b489bf0a903b33f2.jpg
Quick update I payed the customs charge and got the item delivered as recommended by people on here. Continued with the dispute and got this today in my favour. Still got the item unopened so unsure what to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom