What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crinkle finish paint

edsr

Registered
Anyone know of a paint / technique for touching in that Matt black ‘crinkle’ finish on legs and side rails etc?

Mine are a bit chipped and scuffed in places but don’t fancy buying new, powder coating or spraying them from scratch unless I can help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know of a touching in technique but I've done @PeteB's BBQ paint and heat "painted" method with good results, I did try a crinkle paint but wasn't really happy (although it did recommend baking which I don't have facility's to do) I have had talks with a power coating chap and he wasn't that expensive but I've yet to actually do it, but the ones I've seen do look great but it ends up like a kid in a sweet shop, what colour finishes do you want do you just get the legs done? What about side rails lockdown bar etc etc... some do look good some end up more of a personal taste @chris b's RFM at the NLP looked superb on the metallic black

Thanks Tony I found the BBQ thread you were referring to. Powder coating does sound like the way forward and surprisingly cheap.

There are a few bits on my coin door that may need some Car body filler where it’s been mangled with a crow bar or similar. Do you know if PC will work over filler?

To be honest I don't know? Question for the powder coating guys? Might be worth putting a want ad on here to see if anyone's got a spare going cheap if your gonna have it painted then might be worth trying to find a un-mangled one, be sure to post up some before and after pictures most of us love a mini shop log

Thanks Tony, I’ve done just that.

As for the shop log I’ve got my first load in the tumbler at the moment so I’ll start one imminently. [emoji106]

Have to say I’m not overly impressed with the cleaning. I had some alu plate from the coin mech holder in there for a day and it’s hardly touched it. So I’ve used a dremel with wire brush head. I’ve got two media grades with it - think it’s crushed shells. I’m using the larger grains but wondering if perhaps the smaller stuff would be more aggressive? [emoji848]

Your slightly ahead of me with the tumbler I've just got one but not used yet! I used to do it all by hand real ball ache!! I think someone suggested walnut shells and a couple of squirts of autosol
Looking forward to the shop log!

you could try this paint it's used for MG/MGB metal dashboards or Lotus cam covers ect

VHT Black Wrinkle Finish (310ml) from Frost.co.uk

There are a few bits on my coin door that may need some Car body filler where it’s been mangled with a crow bar or similar. Do you know if PC will work over filler?

You would need to use some sort of filler that can resist high temperature, something like JB weld or all metal. Best checking with your local powder coater who will have a preferred choice of filler through experience

Thanks Tony, I’ve done just that.

As for the shop log I’ve got my first load in the tumbler at the moment so I’ll start one imminently. [emoji106]

Have to say I’m not overly impressed with the cleaning. I had some alu plate from the coin mech holder in there for a day and it’s hardly touched it. So I’ve used a dremel with wire brush head. I’ve got two media grades with it - think it’s crushed shells. I’m using the larger grains but wondering if perhaps the smaller stuff would be more aggressive? [emoji848]

Your not leaving it in the tumbler long enough for a start 2-3 days minimum. And I'm not sure aluminium would work in a tumbler anyway

Your not leaving it in the tumbler long enough for a start 2-3 days minimum. And I'm not sure aluminium would work in a tumbler anyway

Thanks, RudeDog I tried Tony’s tip of adding a good squirt of autosol (10cm ish) and it seems to be working much harder already - suddenly getting grey metallic dust forming inside.

Also some of the parts are pitted so I’m probably expecting a bit much from it.

Pretty pleased with how the aluminium came out though...

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171125_e0b21ab2b7240fdec365ad5634546131.jpg

The bit in the middle is steel but the other two are alu. I put insulation tape over the sticker and cut round it with a scalpel to stop it getting abraded in the tumbler.

For the alu I used a wire brush on a dremel to get the worst off but that left swirl marks, so took some 00 wire wool and some autosol to polish those out and then finished it off with some brasso.

Last edited:
you could try this paint it's used for MG/MGB metal dashboards or Lotus cam covers ect

VHT Black Wrinkle Finish (310ml) from Frost.co.uk

Thanks Peanut.

Great info. Led me here:

https://www.frost.co.uk/how-to-use-vht-wrinkle-finish-paint

Was totally sold on it after looking at google images for “VHT wrinkle finish paint” but...

The whole oven thing looks like a bit of a faff. A patio heater would probably work a treat - needs to be c.95 centigrade.

But by the time I’ve stripped it all, then I think cost/hassle wise a powder coat is actually the best option. I could however do the coin door as it would fit in my oven! :)

So I heard back from the powder coating place. They do classic cars. Apparently this finish is called Crackleback and they can do the whole machine for £80+vat. (They also have a massive ultrasonic cleaning tank and can do the loom for £40)

Back
Top Bottom