What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contents insurance including Pins...

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Anyone any advise as to where they get their house contents insurance that covers pins at a reasonable price?

Mines up for renewal in a few weeks, and wanna do a bit of shopping around.... Especially with Pin prices now on the rise...

Cheers

Try Barclays Home Insurance, I declared them, they asked if they needed to have cover when they left the house, I told them that they would rarely be leaving the house as they don't fit through the door easily. Didn't change my quote. He told me to advice them if any were considered worth more than £10k.

You looking for new-for-old cover or reimbursement of SH value? Those with ceiling limits as the sum insured for Contents tend to be better value.

They wanted a declaration of an individual item that was worth more than £10k, £2500 for jewelry. He would not consider the Pins as antiques or art.
Renewal time is soon so I will ask the questions again though I don't quite think my collection tops £10k or comes close but if they did replace the three with AC/DC and a Metallica I would just play those two until I got bored and then swap them for another TAF, IJ and CFTBL. ;)
I do consider them as part of the total sum insured and make sure that they are covered in that. I see there being two main threats to my collection, house fire (caused a pin or otherwise), an attempted theft ends up with a trashed backbox, wedged in the kitchen door way. The first situation they are covered, in the second situation I could repair them if the Wife didn't then kill me.

They wanted a declaration of an individual item that was worth more than £10k, £2500 for jewelry. He would not consider the Pins as antiques or art.
Renewal time is soon so I will ask the questions again though I don't quite think my collection tops £10k or comes close but if they did replace the three with AC/DC and a Metallica I would just play those two until I got bored and then swap them for another TAF, IJ and CFTBL. ;)
I do consider them as part of the total sum insured and make sure that they are covered in that. I see there being two main threats to my collection, house fire (caused a pin or otherwise), an attempted theft ends up with a trashed backbox, wedged in the kitchen door way. The first situation they are covered, in the second situation I could repair them if the Wife didn't then kill me.

Who are you with Matey?? i.e. who are you insured with? Sounds like a reasonable plan :)

^^^^ Second post. Barclays Home Insurance, they were trying to tempt me from my previous supplier and managed a 40% saving.

Spoke with them earlier. they confirmed that Pinball machines are not "valubles" and therefore are not part of the £2k/£10k limits (2k per item, 10k valubles total) and are covered as items with no specific limit. I was advised that if i purchased online then called them afterwards then even if not specifically required they could add onto the policy that the machines were definitely confirmed as covered as wording on the document to avoid any confusion.

However following through a little, they seem rather expensive compared to others. Initially they wanted to charge me £300+, however the total contents value was £50k, so understandable, brought this down to a more reasonable £35k and it was much better - Still £45 more expensive than others tho (my own bank wanted to charge me £50 less, this covered up to £50k, however whilst it mentions "valuble items (tv/av equipment etc)" it's not too specific (Barclays was "basically is it an antique.. no", however did double check), so will follow this up in the morning :)

Pinball machines are just treated like any other item of furniture in the home. Just make sure the sum insured you buy for contents is enough. When claims arise, generally people over insure their buildings, and under insure their contents mainly because people forget buildings is the rebuilding value, and contents needs to be the value of the item new (New for old basis insurance)

I'd also recommend getting clarification on the coverage if you keep the games in a garden building/shack/outhouse/garage whatever......which reminds me I must do exactly that, I spoke on the phone to the insurers ages ago and they assured me it was fine but I would really like something in writing.

Sounds like I have expected the overall cost of home and content insurance to be higher than you. Must be the area I live in but it is ages since we got to watch a car burn from the bedroom window. :(

One of my businesses build household rating engines for insurers, what postcodes are you, I can check how high/cheap the areas are and then might be able to point you towards company to access those prices ;)

Probably best to PM

Sorted. Lloyds TSB £50k cover, Single item limit £7.5k, Pinball counts as a standard item (they dont "do" named items).

Back
Top Bottom