What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concert/gig attending thread.....

Just played a track on youtube. It’s exactly what you’d expect isn’t it ? 😉

I used to see loads of the anarcho punk stuff at venues like the counterpoint in Bletchley at the end of 80s.

Always felt a bit of a fraud going back to my parents middle class house while they all lived in squats 🤣

I’ve still got a soft spot for a lot of the bands but do wonder if a lot of them look back and regret some of their lifestyle choices. Worked with bands like Chaos UK and ENT in the 90s as well as a lot of the 70s bands. Always admired how together a lot of the scene was
Ha ha . Exactly that . Was also in and around squats . The book is all about how DIY the scene was . We had to arrange so much but made so many connections and friends . I certainly don't regret my lifestyle choices but then I ended up an accountant !

On a concert related note - are there any decent places to sell tickets - I have a couple of Rammstein tickets for Dublin I need to sell (largely because the insurance ticketbas**** sold me is worthless).

I believe you cant put em on flea bay now

With the AC/DC tickets in the general standing area approx £150 - I am out!

The only way I will go is if I can get some freebies in the band hospitality area (my pal is Stevie Young) - but I am not holding my breath as he is a pal but not 'high on the besties' list.

Got to say nowadays gigs are getting to be generally £100+ for the big bands, and it is pricing a lot of people out.

Went to see AC/DC loads of times before and dont think I have paid over £20. my lowest ticket stub says £7 but I had hair then, and was thin.

I am in the industry and I get why tickets are so expensive - the fact the albums bands record have zero monitary value to most people. Only a few buy CDs/Vinyl etc.

Back in the 80s/90s - bands used to loose money touring - but they almost used them for promo for the album sales.

I suppose everyone downloading of Napster/Limewire etc - and then streaming has absolutely RUINED the music business.

I logged on for AC/DC tickets and was quoted £300 each for standing! I saw them before Covid in Arnhem and it was only about £60.

Stuff that, I can see a smaller band every month all year for less.

£300 is insane. It’s Ticketmaster ripping people off.

I thought £140 for the front area seemed relatively fair given the size of the band and only two uk gigs.

It’s getting harder to find sub £40 tickets for any name bands now 😢

I remember about a decade ago - you could buy concert tickets on ebay.

They were sold for profit but sometimes doubled up for real good seats Not really anymore than that. A couple of days before the show - they used to sometimes be lucky and get them for less than face value. Ebay put a stop to this.

Now ticketmaster have got rid of the touts and become touts themselves. It does not shock me that tickets for general standing have doubled in cost already.

No wonder tribute bands are doing so well as only people with lots of disposable income can afford to go to these shows now.

I wanted to go to Billy Joel in New York this year, and even for the rubbish seats they wanted over $1000. This does not include flight, hotel etc.....

Also I am not a fan of going to 'Wembley Stadium' / 'Hyde Park' etc shows now - the NEC is as big as I want to go now. These stadium sized shows are just rip offs and you can't even go for a pee without joining a queue.

So glad my favourite band is The Fall - their gigs were never expensive, never in huge stadia, always different, always the same. MES sadly missed

Can’t you resell the Rammstein tickets via Ticketmaster? I ended up with a spare ticket for a festival a few years ago as one of Becca’s friends backed out. Stuck it up for £20 less than face value and it went in mins.
Ticketmaster then held the cash for about 2 months and took 20% ish. I suspect they also charged an admin fee for the buyer.

Most gigs I do are in small venues. Even there though prices are going through the roof. Didn’t WASP recently get crucified for playing Nottingham with no support and charging £70 for a shirt. Hard to see the value there.

I bought membership to the Roundhouse to try and get easier access to tickets. It’s a tiered thing with the cheapest fee being about £40. I briefly looked at the higher tiers. It went up to £2500 and that still didn’t give you any discount on ticket prices 😱

Sometimes large gigs are unavoidable though. The AC/DC show is a case of that. The girl child has never seen them and in all likelihood they won’t play again. One venue in the country is not a UK tour but it’s all that’s on offer.

Ultimately high prices are bad for longevity. Without teenagers the music industry is eventually going to implode. If they can’t afford gigs then there are no future customers.

If the opera etc are given national subsidies then maybe it’s time to look more seriously at state funding for grass roots venues.

Can’t you resell the Rammstein tickets via Ticketmaster? I ended up with a spare ticket for a festival a few years ago as one of Becca’s friends backed out. Stuck it up for £20 less than face value and it went in mins
yes.. and no. there's a tab for that which says 'not available at this time'. I thought maybe it was because there were tickets left but there isn't now so it's not that.
not looking to make anything either - face value and would be happy. (they are feuerzone seats too so you would expect be easy to move on but...)

Speaking of "concerts" (in this case auditorium visits), Went to see Frankie Boyle on Wednesday night. Good to see he's still about (second time i have seen him live), however he did say it would probably be his last tour.

Still scandelous and bloody funnny tho - laughed from start to finish!

Saw the Bar Stool Preachers in Newcastle Friday. Was an excellent show. (Apparently was their first headlining gig with more than 1000 people and the crowd was on top form... )
1709546968990.png

Seeing Enslaved on Wednesday 👌🏻 A band I've been a big fan of for nearly two decades now, time flies 🙈. Started in the early 90s as one of the second wave of Black Metal bands in Norway but have evolved into a more experimental, progressive band, think Rush, Tool etc but from Norway with viking mythology and black metal roots. 😄

Svalbard are a great UK band on the rise, seen couple times and always good energy
IG_SQUARE.jpg

Just popped on a train to Wembley to see Skindred with my daughter. We last saw them in a small club last year so they’ve had quite the journey.

It should be good fun!

I found myself looking for a likely pinhead at the gig. Too many guys in their 50s there 😂

I blend in.🤪 There was a guy standing to the left of me who was an absolute mountain. Must have been easily 5”s taller than me so well on his way to 6’8” plus. Absolutely solid build. Had to feel sorry for the people behind him.

You got any gigs coming up Geoff? Is Project Pitchfork your thing?

Another year, another St. Patrick's day so soon be Glasgow o'clock and off for the annual S. L. F. Barrowlands gig.
See you up there 😁

Good all-dayer happening at the Hop&anchor in Islington today (Sunday) Couple of my mates bands; Sabatta and Splitworms (headlining I believe) are worth checking out if you like a bit rock music 👍

I saw what I imagine will be ELO's last concert at the weekend in San Diego. - part of Joe Walsh's veteran fundraiser - Jeff Lynne's voice was surprisingly good for his age but seemed frailer in himself.

Also featured Lucius who were very good, Flaming lips who weren't but The War on Drugs were simply phenomenal.
Well I got that wrong :)

I’m off to the Albert Hall to see the Chemical Brothers tonight in a gig for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

I think I’ll head up soon and spend a few hours in the Brunswick Centre first. :)

Back
Top Bottom