What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concert/gig attending thread.....

Got to see QOTSA at Download next year. Line up currently isn’t exactly inspiring. Headliners are ok but the smaller bands are a bit lacking. Fingers crossed for a lot of heavier bands announced in the second wave.

I've done a few versions.
Fire one in Coventry last year (which was great aside from phones in the air)
From centre of pitch in Brussels and from the front in Newcastle and Manchester (before fire one was a thing)
Prefer the front cos I like to jiggle around - but yeah from aways back has it's merits.
Sadly only 1 night so going to have to peddle the tickets for sure.
First time was Manchester Apollo - great too see em in such a small venue. Then NEC, MEN and recently the Pricipality in Cardiff. Killer shows

Got to see QOTSA at Download next year. Line up currently isn’t exactly inspiring. Headliners are ok but the smaller bands are a bit lacking. Fingers crossed for a lot of heavier bands announced in the second wave.
Saw QOTSA in Dusseldorf the other week (think it was 5k or 7k arena); brilliant gig; Homme crowd surfed and everything:)
Sure they will add some more good bands to downloads line up - think TOOL are over here next year turning, so likely they'd be added to the bill?

This popped up on my feed.

Just looking at the flyer actually hurts my head. Can’t work out what the festival is called or who 99% of the bands are. Not even certain a lot of them are real words.

I vaguely know Triptykon are some Celtic Frost offshoot but zero idea of anyone else.

I know I’m not the target audience but I kind of feel there should be some cross over with stuff I like but, nope. I’m feeling very very old.

7CE071B7-6D91-439A-81A7-DD223279EA57.jpeg

The more I look at it the angrier I get.
My brain is trying to decipher some meaning from chaos.

If you squint it’s not quite so painful.

I keep thinking it’s like one of those magic eye books from the 90s. If you look out of the corner of your eye you occasionally catch sight of a letter.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the audience will mainly be male.

That is some pretty difficult to read fonts. Maybe the joke is on us and it is all made up.
There is one, 3rd line from the bottom on the left, that has a normal font but then you realise it must be in another language.

Fortress festival

To be honest black metal logos like that have been around since the 90s.
I only really know Triptkyon, FellWarden and Panticipon (although I can't spell it), from that lineup.

It's good that scene can have their own festivals, id rather go to that than Download even if I don't know most of the bands 😄

Nowadays I prefer a mixed eclectic lineup if I'm going to a festival. Arctangent is perfect 👌🏻

They use another terrible font on the line up page.

Oh my god now I realise I know more of them 🤣 Wolves in the throne room are amazing! Misþyrming are alright but Blackbraid are even better 😲

Seems I don't know band logos because I haven't bought physical media in years 🤣

Still it's too much black metal adjacent stuff in one night, it's far too fatiguing(sp?)

I even find bloodstock too extreme for my tastes. I’ve been a few times but it’s hard work.

I can maybe do one black metal band occasionally but a whole weekend would be way too much for me. I need more of a melody and a groove.

There’s a great video out there that proves Emperor are just playing distorted surf rock 😂

I even find bloodstock too extreme for my tastes. I’ve been a few times but it’s hard work.

I can maybe do one black metal band occasionally but a whole weekend would be way too much for me. I need more of a melody and a groove.

There’s a great video out there that proves Emperor are just playing distorted surf rock 😂

Try Arctangent 😄 way more chilled and interesting. Nothing that's just a straightforward genre, if there is metal there it's usually proggy or avant garde stuff and only a few artists
Bloodstock is too samey for me now, last time I went was 2012. Not a fan of the metal scene much anymore.

To be fair Emperor are pretty technical for Black Metal, I had to learn a few riffs when studying music and I struggled, quite intricate!(my guitar tutor now plays for Mayhem which definitely could be surf rock if not for all the murder and drama).

Helmet gig last night in a tiny border joint between Spain and France. So good.

Attachments

• IMG-20231202-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20231202-WA0000.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231202_000915.jpg
    20231202_000915.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 4
I’m off with my boy to see Sleaford Mods at Ally Pally tonight.

It’s not the greatest venue for music and i do wonder whether their style of music will translate to such a big place, but I’m looking forward to seeing them again.

Game of two half’s today.

Very pleased to snag tickets to see Jane’s Addiction at the Roundhouse 😀

Briefly toyed with seeing the scorpions as they be never seen them. All seated venue 😢. Then ticket price £340 plus booking fee. What the actual hell?

Game of two half’s today.

Very pleased to snag tickets to see Jane’s Addiction at the Roundhouse 😀

Briefly toyed with seeing the scorpions as they be never seen them. All seated venue 😢. Then ticket price £340 plus booking fee. What the actual hell?
Good good.
What the fudge? Few bands should command that price, so how is that reasonable?

I can’t think of any bands I’d pay £300 to sit down and watch. Presumably people do though. It’s not like the band would pull a corporate crowd like say a Madonna or Taylor Swift.

I might have paid £60. £65 at a push. I only really like “the zoo”. It would have simply been one to tick off the list.

If it sells out then it makes you question the cost of living crisis.

I thought the £35 total admin fee for the JANE’S gig was bad enough

These prices also help to explain why young people tend not to see bands as much.

Around £50 is my limit for sure. (With the exception of the crazy Germans - at least theres some justification there though - must cos a chunk to put those shows on !)

I also dislike the notion of paying and extra £10+ to be at the front - if you cant get to the front under your own steam you probably dont want to go down there !

I’m still bemused about how many people go to gigs and stand way back. I can understand not wanting to be in the mosh pit but there’s plenty of room at the front. Why would you chose to have a deliberately **** view?

Saw PWEI a couple of months ago and the band had to ask people to step forward as people were being crushed at the bar 😂 there was literally masses of space at the front but an impenetrable line of fat old men standing 2/3rds of the way back

I’m still bemused about how many people go to gigs and stand way back. I can understand not wanting to be in the mosh pit but there’s plenty of room at the front. Why would you chose to have a deliberately **** view?

Saw PWEI a couple of months ago and the band had to ask people to step forward as people were being crushed at the bar 😂 there was literally masses of space at the front but an impenetrable line of fat old men standing 2/3rds of the way back
Amen to that, always the mosh pit down the front! I think the only gig I’ve had seats for was the Monkees in Manchester in the 90s. We stood up to have a boogie and got told off by a steward for dancing! Suffice to say we moved and grooved!

I saw PWEI in a pub garden in Twyford a fair few years back. A few of us got a pit going down the front and in the end there were a few hundred people bouncing around going crazy. The band said they had been dreading it but it ended up being one of their favourite gigs because of the intimacy, interaction and spontaneity.

I gotta get a bit sweaty at a gig else it don't count

Agreed. One of my annual St Patricks trips to Glasgow Barrowlands was 2 months after major surgery. Still had the huge wound an everything.. But I had to go. Had to sit at the back. Was really depressing sat back there.

Back
Top Bottom