What's new

Colour DMD

Probably the colordmd led version .
I have the LCD version in mine and have had to modify the Thing lamp pcb to fit.
The LCD is considerably larger and overlaps that area.
You can shift it up but it get in the way of the led board.

LCD.

LED is easier to fit though. LCD will block the translite light board (whatever that's called) from opening without dropping the speaker panel, and will cast a shadow on the translite at the bottom, because you have to mount it above the THING light board.

I have LCD and don't really find the above a deal breaker, mainly since if I'm ever doing work in the backbox I'll invariably need to drop the speaker panel anyway.

LCD.

LED is easier to fit though. LCD will block the translite light board (whatever that's called) from opening without dropping the speaker panel, and will cast a shadow on the translite at the bottom, because you have to mount it above the THING light board.

I have LCD and don't really find the above a deal breaker, mainly since if I'm ever doing work in the backbox I'll invariably need to drop the speaker panel anyway.

If it’s the same prob you get installing one in a bsd (light board connector in the way) just remove the connector and solder directly to the board where the pins were

If it’s the same prob you get installing one in a bsd (light board connector in the way) just remove the connector and solder directly to the board where the pins were
As I understand it it's a bit more nuanced than that. I think you have to fit the THING light board in front of the LCD to do it properly, which means no bulb holders, disassembled LED bulbs, etc.

As I understand it it's a bit more nuanced than that. I think you have to fit the THING light board in front of the LCD to do it properly, which means no bulb holders, disassembled LED bulbs, etc.

I think I also flipped the board so the holders sat in the recesses

As @RudeDogg1 said, you can re-solder the thing lamp board (take LEDs out of their case and solder them straight on). There is a tutorial for this. However, I went with LED. Addams isn't the best ColorDMD IMHO...

As you’re asking around, I’d probably say LED, as cheaper and easier.

Personally I’d go LCD, because it's better, but slightly more expensive and has some minor complexities when fitting.

Both will be miles better than standard.

To distort a quote from Lock Stock:
LED for show, LCD for a Pro.

Back
Top Bottom