What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted ColorDMDs wanted, new or used.

cooldan

i like pizza
Who sells these colour DMDs? The older ones that Sean at Pinball Palace used to handle.

Or has anyone got one on and fancy dropping back to standard old DMD to make some fast cash?

I’m after 3-4 of these so will have 3-4 spare working standard ones to sell, pref as part exchange but otherwise afterwards. Old working ones go for £80-120 depending on condition (eg scratches, lines out or lines stuck on). Old gassing-out ones are £30 each I think.

Anyone?

The official ColorDMD is still sold by Pinball Palace.

They’re not cheap, but if you sell your original DMD for £80 afterwards it’s overall about £300 a piece. Just watch out if you then sell the game later as you’ve got to leave the ColorDMD in there, or sell sans DMD (which is a bit harder).

I really disliked the LCD display one.... then I borrowed a Metallica with one in - stuck it in hi-res mode and must say I am converted!

Grabbed one off Nik to try in my family guy (that I will be returning soon). It looked really good.

Of course the Pin2dmd or pinballsp's own ones are much cheaper and are rgb LEDs. They now run without a power supply. Will cost you about £200.

Only thing I found with the colordmd lcd is that it needed a perfectly clean power supply! So make sure your bridge rectifiers and caps are good on the +12v and +5v.

Just make sure they do the software for your game as they look a little bland without the colourisation files.

The colordmds dont forget will cost you £8 plus 23% if the customs get you (and they normally do).

i bought one from pinballsp and i'm sorry but i can't recommend them, i sent it back as it was physically so tall that it impacted on the driver board, acually had components that touched the heat sinks and caused some problems that took a while to get sorted. i ended up going the tried and tested ColorDMD route through Sean at PinballPalace, there's a reason they're the most expensive. i prefer the original over the LED ones and cannot stand the colours in the new ones i've seen around recently. most obvious example was the horror show DMD in Colin's Batman at NLP (@ailsaclunie is he not on here? can't find him to tag him in) .... those yellows and purples, cyan and even thr black were just awful and made me avoid looking at the ****ing thing.

the reason for this thread was if someone wants to downgrade to original orange plasma to free up a couple hundred quid, as i gradually pimp my final stable of games to all have colour screens, invisiglass, NVRAMs, mirror blades, headphone sockets, better speakers, and gradually maybe also some aethetic non-essentials that generally i avoid as they don't do anything for gameplay - nicer legs and bolts, lighty up buttons etc.

i'm even thinking of getting my AFM redecalled, something i never thought i'd entertain, but i can't find them for sale. anyone got a set?

Dan - I thought you said you got yours from the other guy - not Pinballsp.
He goes under the name of Rappelbox ?

I didnt have any problems with dimensions of mine in Sterns or Bally/Williams. In fact it was the only one way I could put a colordmd in a Cirqus voltaire.

It is one of those - some prefer LCD some like LED some like plasma !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom