What's new

Color DMD LCD or LED

You could remove the THING lightboard, that's what I did in mine when I had one, then it fits properly. The DMD then lights the THING inserts instead but it's dim compared to incandescents, so that is a problem too.

Unless you buy one of these:

http://pin-mods.com/product/taf-thing-light-board/
I wish those existed about 5 yrs ago!

I removed a few white SMD LEDs from their plastic casing and soldered their legs directly on to the original boards... it worked a treat, created a very thin light board, but fiddly.

100 times better than using the LCD screen to shine through the THING lights though.

I think the LED’s are bright and suit Stern pins. But LCD all the way in keeping with the original plasma panels of the Bally/Williams machines. The bonus is that LED’s fit perfectly in the newer Stern backboxes..

You could remove the THING lightboard, that's what I did in mine when I had one, then it fits properly. The DMD then lights the THING inserts instead but it's dim compared to incandescents, so that is a problem too.

Unless you buy one of these:

http://pin-mods.com/product/taf-thing-light-board/
Ehh.. it's not a big deal really. I think the newer LCD OCDs don't do that anymore anyway (the simulated THING lights). Mine didn't, and the instructions specified installing it above the original THING light board.

It is a little bit annoying having to lift the speaker panel out, but to be honest I can't think of many jobs where I would be opening the translite board without lifting the speaker panel out too.

I've definitely never seen an LCD display that's glass?
Nope, but still closer in looks than the LED.

Edit: just dug out on an old plasma realised you can see the dots thought they were plain like lcd’s. My bad :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wish those existed about 5 yrs ago!

I removed a few white SMD LEDs from their plastic casing and soldered their legs directly on to the original boards... it worked a treat, created a very thin light board, but fiddly.

100 times better than using the LCD screen to shine through the THING lights though.

Just what I done.

Back
Top Bottom