What's new

Color DMD LCD or LED

John Taylor

Site Supporter
I am thinking of getting color DMD's for my ST Pro and TZ. Any thoughts on whether to go for the LED option (which I have never seen) or the LCD option ?

I have the very first release of the LCD's in my AFM and MM so thinking of sticking with LCD variants unless there is anything significantly better about the LED version

I've got an LED in my GB Pro, and an LCD in my MET Pro. I really like them both.
I run the LCD in HD mode. I really dont like the dots XL mode which I think most people prefer.
For me I'd you want dots go for LED. If you want something different go for LCD in HD or Scan mode

I like the LED one because its like the dots from a plasma. All my games are LED - Only TNG isn't.

Spiderman and GoT and those with lots of video captures do better as LCD, apart from GB where the LED is better in my view. If you like what you have - stay safe and keep LCD though,.

LED one for me and most mates that have played side by side both pinheads and non pinheads have all preferred the LED.
For me it has a more original retro look and the brightness leaves the washed out look of the LCD far behind IMO.
I’ve also got to add I hate the paint daub effect with a vengeance and much prefer big dots XL as the default LCD setting

That said each to their own.

I like the LED one because its like the dots from a plasma. All my games are LED - Only TNG isn't.

Spiderman and GoT and those with lots of video captures do better as LCD, apart from GB where the LED is better in my view. If you like what you have - stay safe and keep LCD though,.
Agree whole heartedly on TNG the colours just match so well and I’ve been told they quite good on the likes of the simpsons and family guy.

All LCD for me.
Do the LED ones have drop out?

They don't suffer from drop out.

Here is a close up of TZ, camera's don't capture the color well on the LED version, they are super vibrant which is what I like about the LED version:

Neil.

Do the Color DMD guys "paint" true, sympathetic to the original animations? I've seen examples using the 3rd party editors where some animations are being completely replaced.

no they paint the existing - as its how the system works.

Got led in my CV and looks good but the others have lcd and they look good too. Can't go wrong with either is my answer:p

I fitted an LED display in my Cirqus Voltaire yesterday and am really pleased with it. Love the vibrancy of the display but then again I've never actually seen an LCD one in the flesh. If I could afford to I would choose to fit my games with LED over LCD all the way. I like to keep the machines as authentic as possible and still being able to appreciate the fact that each dot was programmed/drawn by somebody - plus on this day and age it's kinda nice to go to pinball and escape from a screen

They don't suffer from drop out.

Here is a close up of TZ, camera's don't capture the color well on the LED version, they are super vibrant which is what I like about the LED version:

Neil.

All led systems will suffer from drop out .

I fitted an LED display in my Cirqus Voltaire yesterday and am really pleased with it. Love the vibrancy of the display but then again I've never actually seen an LCD one in the flesh. If I could afford to I would choose to fit my games with LED over LCD all the way. I like to keep the machines as authentic as possible and still being able to appreciate the fact that each dot was programmed/drawn by somebody - plus on this day and age it's kinda nice to go to pinball and escape from a screen
But the original plasma's have glass fronts, just like a tv screen? Surely then the LCD is more authentic as the LED type doesn't look like any display I've seen, not even the post-plasma Stern where you can also see the LED blocks, and the dots even when switched off.

Appreciate you have to put one in a CV, as you can't fit an LCD in. The only LED I own is in DESW, where you have to alter the speaker panel to fit an LCD, that would be a pain, all my others have LCD on dots XL. The programming of the dots isn't changed, except to make the dots slightly bigger (if you prefer there is standard dot mode that replicates the original programming exactly).

I've got LCD in my TAF, which means I can't open the translite without putting the speaker panel down. That's the cross I have to bear to have the better version ;)

I've got LCD in my TAF, which means I can't open the translite without putting the speaker panel down. That's the cross I have to bear to have the better version ;)
You could remove the THING lightboard, that's what I did in mine when I had one, then it fits properly. The DMD then lights the THING inserts instead but it's dim compared to incandescents, so that is a problem too.

Unless you buy one of these:

http://pin-mods.com/product/taf-thing-light-board/

But the original plasma's have glass fronts, just like a tv screen? Surely then the LCD is more authentic as the LED type doesn't look like any display I've seen, not even the post-plasma Stern where you can also see the LED blocks, and the dots even when switched off.

Appreciate you have to put one in a CV, as you can't fit an LCD in. The only LED I own is in DESW, where you have to alter the speaker panel to fit an LCD, that would be a pain, all my others have LCD on dots XL. The programming of the dots isn't changed, except to make the dots slightly bigger (if you prefer there is standard dot mode that replicates the original programming exactly).
I've definitely never seen an LCD display that's glass?

Back
Top Bottom