What's new

Color DMD in GBLE-Advice

Dave Bishop

Site Supporter
Can anyone shed some light on this

Took a colour DMD out of CONGO to put in GBLE, bought the Stern kit, stand offs, clear perspex, ‘Y’ cable, and bought the 12V cable that plugs into CN6 and into the male Y connector

Fitted, but no power going to the DMD, definetly no power as no lights on board on DM (and worked in I500 after)

Is the stern SAM/WHITESTAR kit the same as a SPIKE kit, as this is what the supplier sent me?
Anyone else have this problem?

I’m not sure if it’s the cables or nothing coming out of CN6, but why/how could that be?

Thanks

Which version board does the colordmd have David? I am about to install a new LCD colordmd to my GB pro, its a chroma rev A2, and exchanged a few emails with Randy the other day. Newer boards only need 12v, they generate their own 5v. CN6 in a spike machine has 12v only, hence the colordmd spike adapter only having 2 wires. If you're fitting an older board you need to supply a separate 5v from somewhere. Places like mezelmods and pinball life sell 5v accessory supplies for such purposes, although I'm sure there's a few other ways you could generate 5v. Just be carefull, it's Spike afterall! :mad:. Going to fit mine tomorrow or Monday.

If you have a few colordmd's in other machines including one with a new board maybe you could swap them around, save all the messing around trying to get 5v.

Newest board revision Chroma A2....( only needs 12v supply )

26638485_10155851967899693_545331432_n.jpg

Last edited:
Did Randy say whether the GB code will be compatible with older boards? GOT will only work with 1.3b revision old boards and Chroma (same as SM and TF). Worth bearing in mind.

Fitted mine today, no problems. One thing I noticed is the 2 pin pass through accessory connector on the chroma board outputs 5v despite the boards only using 12v input. Seems an odd decision to output 5 rather than 12v, as far as I know the most common use for this is to power speaker leds and aren't they usually 12v? All mine are.

Bring on the code.. :)

20180114_160230.jpg

I was about to order another colordmd in anticipation of this release but then just before hitting pay realised by GB is tombstoned and will be for another month at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was about to order another colordmd in anticipation of this release but then just before hitting pay realis:(ed by GB is tombstoned and will be for another month at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yeah, but it could be more expensive by then...

Was looking through my Pinball Palace PayPal receipts for the last few years... it's definitely never gone down in price, and I've had at least 10 of them! :cuckoo:

Have you gone for LCD, or LED? Where is the best place to get one of these? as i really fancy one for my GB Pro.

So do I need a different power cable for spike? Got a colorDMD I took out of X-Men which I'm hoping to fit.

So do I need a different power cable for spike? Got a colorDMD I took out of X-Men which I'm hoping to fit.

If you have a Chroma board it only needs 12V, which is ideal as GB only has 12v from CN6. If it's an older model you'll need to get 5v from somewhere. There's no standard 3 pin molex accessory connector on GB like Sam machines so you'll have to sort a cable out one way or another. ColorDMD's suggested way of connecting it is to use the standard long cable that you already have, and use a 12v adapter cable to connect between the long cable and CN6, seems a bit odd, why didn't they just make a cable to go straight from CN6 to the board input? that's all I did.

Actually, which spike machine Phil? According to Randy GOT and GB are the same, but WWE and Kiss are different, you have to pull power off a node board.

Had a look and mine has 5v too. I'll waiy and see if it even works with this rev board. May have to sell it and buy another.

Update:
Turns out the cable bought from Pinball life had the 12v & ground the wrong way!!

Noticed this last week, but only got round to fitting it after my buddy switched them back..

New issue- the screen is kind of flickering different colours. Probably because I have the CONGO product key installed.

How do I get rid of the key to make the screen 1 colour.
Download and install new firmware? Or can I just delete the product key to nothing and the display will automatically display one colour?

Thanks

Wow regarding the pinball life cable, would that have caused damage if you hadn't noticed?

Not sure about your problem but Randy is pretty quick at replying to emails.

Back
Top Bottom