What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coin Mech Help

stoptap

Registered
Alias
Andy
For no particular reason other than having nothing better to do I am trying to set up a coin mech in a modern Stern.
It accepts all the coins but they are not giving the correct inputs per coin.
According to the manual coins should activate as follows.

10p switch D1
50p switch D2
£1 switch D3
20p switch D4

When I put coins in and check in switch test mine comes out like this.

10p switch D4
£1 switch D1
20p switch D3
I don't have a 50p but presume that would be correct as D2

Can I change which coin triggers what switch ? The dip switches are set correctly for UK. The coin settings in adjustment is set to UK5 (£1 per game, 3 games for £2).

I've tried another coin mech but it is exactly the same. Coin mechs are C120.

https://www.pinball.co.uk/set-the-pricing-on-your-machine/

STERN GAMES (& Data East)

Select “Custom” pricing from the GAME PRICING MENU. Set as follows…

LEFT UNITS (10p) – 1 pulses
CENTRE UNITS (50p) – 5 pulses
RIGHT UNITS (£1) – 10 pulses
4th SLOT UNITS (20p) – 2 pulses

Various price of play set as follows..

50p = 1 credit, £1 = 3 credits.

One credit = 5 pulses
Bonus 1 = 10 pulses
Bonus 2 = 0
Bonus 1 credit = 1
Bonus 2 credit = 0

£1 = 1 credit, £2 = 3 credits

Data East games

One credit = 10 pulses
Bonus 1 = 20 pulses
Bonus 2 = 0
Bonus 1 credit = 1
Bonus 2 credit = 0

On Stern Pinball Machines use pre-set “UK5″

I've seen that Paul but this game seems to pulse different coins on different inputs.
I think I will try it another game and see if it is the same in that.

Tested a different coin mech in 3 different games now and they all register coins on different inputs to those stated in the manual (as Paul's post above).

Can you manually change which coin triggers which switch on a Stern ?

I think (and could be wrong here) Some of it is down to how the C120 is set up... so trying in a different game may well prove this :)

I'm beginning to think the same Paul.
There are some dipswitches inside but I think they are coin inhibitors and not for programming the outputs.
I presume this would need re-programming to output correctly to match the game ?

Sounds like the plug is pinned for a SR3 when I've had this problem b4 I altered the bottom 4 pins until I got the correct config the top 2 are the 12V and 0 V and don't need moving
Check with a fluke first don't plug a mech in live this screws them

if the mech is programed correctly then it should just work you can adjust the pricing in the menu
you must have been bored today
Mrs had gone out to collect a new car and the Grand Prix had finished.

I looked at the other coin mech and it lists what coin outputs where. They are different from the ones in the Stern manual.

Sounds like the plug is pinned for a SR3 when I've had this problem b4 I altered the bottom 4 pins until I got the correct config the top 2 are the 12V and 0 V and don't need moving
Check with a fluke first don't plug a mech in live this screws them
I've thought about doing that. It looks like the pink wires are the coin inputs. Is that right ?

Anyone got a pointer to anywhere else that explains setting up the pricing on a Williams pin ?

I'm hoping to setup a machine to bring into,work during October to raise some money for our nominated charity.

What I should have asked was are there any idiot guides as I got lost as my menu options didnt match the suggested.

I will have another look tonight and probably put up some questions...

For future reference.

I got it to work correctly by swapping around the coin input wires in the connector. The connector has numbers on each hole.

I swapped Pink/Orange from 9 to 7
Pink/Brown from 7 to 10
Pink/Yellow from 10 to 9

I have two mechs with the same outputs so this might be quite common. Useful info to know.

Anyone got a pointer to anywhere else that explains setting up the pricing on a Williams pin ?

I'm hoping to setup a machine to bring into work during October to raise some money for our nominated charity.

Ian,

With Wms games up to Road Show (which introduced a new 'line editor' set-up apparently known as the 10/94 scheme), the pricing scheme uses a totalising 'counter' in memory, to which all coin switches/inputs contribute.

The adjustment for each of the three (or four) inputs, Left, Centre, Right, with Wpc games also having 4th, selects how many 'units' are added to the pot for each coin inserted.

The adjustment 'Units/Credit' defines what value in the pot will establish 1 credit, without clearing the counter.

The adjustment 'Units/Bonus' allows an extra credit to be posted if the pot reaches a particular value. It's useful sometimes for providing a bonus credit at a point where the logical progression of the counter can't, such as 50 pence 1 play/ £1 3 plays.

When devising pricing settings, I used to plot them out on paper; on a table with ten columns (each representing 10 pence inserted), I'd highlight those for the values where a credit was to be posted; e.g. for 30 pence 1 play/50 pence 2 plays/£1 4 plays these would be 3, 5, 8 & 10 (a 3rd credit at 80 pence).

Each row of the table would be used for a different coin, showing how the counter would increase as that coin was inserted, depending on the value selected as that coins' unit value. So, for 10 pence valued a '1', it would increment from 1 to 10.

A crucial factor in pricing is getting the lowest coin valued right - often '1' doesn't work out satisfactorily. In our 30 pence play example, it wouldn't. But with 10 pence valued at '2', the pot will progress as 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. This allows some flexibility to use the accumulating pot (which doesn't reset automatically*, remember) to get the awards right. Setting Units/Credit to '5' with 10 pence at '2' has the pot at '6' with 3 coins inserted, enough for 1 credit, with 1 unit left over. 2 more coins see the pot reach '10', awarding a 2nd credit for 5 coins inserted, and so on for 8 coins (16) and 10 coins (20). Plotting out the other coins as multiples of the value for 10 pence, e.g. 20 pence as '4', produces the same results (4,8,12,16,20) with 5 coins.

* the counter is cleared when a game is started, or when any points are registered. Also by entering the test routines, or by switching the machine off.

Last edited:
Thanks Jay, that sounds a good approach.

I will hopefully get a look later tonight or else Monday/Tuesday and will no doubt have questions. I remember there being a uk option and then a custom coin slot setting which I set like in pinball heavens guide. But it only took 20p (old mech I guess, though it did say 10p, 20p, 50p and £1) will hoke out a few different mechs and try them. Have a newer programmable one in one of the machines also...

Guessing I will set it at 50p a game or 3 for £1 to encourage non players to have a go.

Ok, got a quick look.

It's an Addams family. Rom ver 20017 L-4, sound L-1 sy 2.31

In Pricing adj menu I have
01 game pricing - u. Kingdom ph
10 coin door type - custom ph
11 collection text - 00
12 left slot value - 1.00 ph
13 centre slot value - 5.00 ph
14 right slot value - 10.00 ph
15 4th slot value - 2.00 ph
16 max credits - 10
17 free play - no
18 hide coin audits - no
19 1-coin buy in - no
20 base coin size - 0.10
21 coin meter units - off

The settings with ph after them is what I'm assuming the settings on Phils site are talking about. I also managed to set 17 free play to no all on my own

With this setup I can insert 20p and get the coin noise but no credit, 2nd 20p gives me a credit, 3rd 20p gives me a credit, 4th gives me a credit 5th gives me a credit (now at 4 credits) 6th gets a shock noise but no credit, 7th give me a credit, 8th gives me credit, 9th gives me credit, 10th gives me credit, 11th gives me shock noise but no credit again

I'm assuming this means a credit is costing 25p but have no idea why
Edit--------
Confirmed this by inserting 50p which gives me 2 credits each time. 10p and £1 just drop out again. It's an sr5 coin mech which are apparently programmable by putting into learn mode or some such and feeding it coins, I might look into that later in the house

Last edited:
Doh...

Ok just realised I'm not reading it right.

Have now set it to custom rather than U. Kingdom.
Should probably have also said its a one slot door with one coin mech.

50 pence 1 play/£1 3 plays wasn't the pre-programmed 'UK' scheme at the time, AIR, from your description it sounds like 30/50/80/£1 producing 1/2/3/4 credits, so you'd have to either find another that suited (I think there's a French 5 Fr 1 play/10 Fr 3 plays) or set a custom scheme.

I'm assuming that your Addams has the coin inputs as standard, i.e. a £1 coin registers as 'Left/D1', 50 pence as 'Centre/D2', 20 pence as 'Right/D3' and 10 pence as '4th/D4'. There may still some of my works old games about with this reversed, for bookkeeping purposes.

With Pricing Adjustment 01 set as Custom, the basic adjustments 02 to 09 for the scheme become visible/selectable. For the scheme you want, the values below should work;
  • Left slot units 20
  • Centre slot units 10
  • Right slot units 04
  • 4th slot units 02
  • Units/Credit 10
  • Units/Bonus 20 (necessary to get the 3rd credit at the £1 mark)
Note - in this case, the lowest coin (4th) could be set as '1', with all other values also halved. It was handier to use these values because changing to 30 pence play would only need the U/C and U/B values changed.

Remember to check 'Coin Meter Units', adjustment 21. This has to be Off for the knocker to operate as intended, rather than as a drive for the coin meter.

Last edited:
Been out all day so only seeing this now.

I will have a play hopefully tomorrow and see how I go.
Those numbers are definitely different from what I have set at the minute so hopefully....

Right, got sorted I think.

Was doing my head in but turns out the coin door pcb was faulty. :hmm:

Swapped the one from creature in and all is well.
Have it all set up now for 50p a game with no bonus games £1 gets you 2 games rather than the Normal 3

Feel like such a doofus for not trying the coin mech in another machine sooner, although in my defence I have zero room to work on Addams let alone any other machines.

So will get the machin cleaned up over the next week ready for installation in work the Monday after NLP

Cheers all for the pointers and help etc. I might even have learnt something this week

Back
Top Bottom