What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning Wiring Looms/Harness - Advice

Dunc

Registered
Hi all,

Ok, i'm at the cleaning stage of my wiring loom for Corvette. Couple of questions...

A) is it ok to just clean with warm soapy water?

B) will all the switches/bulb holders/targets still attached (soldered on) be ok getting soaked?

C) was going to put it in the bath to scrub.....good idea or not?

Any other advice welcome! I'd rather not have to unsolder everything right now!

Dunc

Not done it myself but the amount of people on Pinside who seem to put them in the dishwasher (if you've got one) and are pleased wth the results is a pretty clear indication of the easiest way to do it.

Does seem to be just the looms though, no targets etc still attached.

Reactions: JT.
I used baby wipes which did a pretty good job.

Not done it myself but the amount of people on Pinside who seem to put them in the dishwasher (if you've got one) and are pleased wth the results is a pretty clear indication of the easiest way to do it.

Does seem to be just the looms though, no targets etc still attached.

Ahh yeah, seen them do that. Could be an option, but like i say, im not wanting to take EVERYTHING off the loom. I will probably have to in the long roun as alot is rusty and crap, but it would help me by leaving everything on so i know what goes where! lol

I used baby wipes which did a pretty good job.

Good suggestion! Mine is pretty damn filthy though......not sure this would do it alone!

Dunc

Baby wipes do a decent job as I've done this a lot but chucking it in the bath, dousing with Cillit Bang and then scrubbing it will get it even cleaner. Just have somewhere warm to hang it up to dry out for a few days after :thumbs:

Baby wipes do a decent job as I've done this a lot but chucking it in the bath, dousing with Cillit Bang and then scrubbing it will get it even cleaner. Just have somewhere warm to hang it up to dry out for a few days after :thumbs:

with or without the targets/bulb holders/switches attached?

I do have somewhere I can dry it out :D

Dunc

I think PeteB recommended using Flash orange wipes. That's the route i've chosen to take as well because I was a bit worried about any of the attached parts getting wet. More work of course but the bits i've done so far have cone up pretty nice and the flash wipes end up really grotty.

with or without the targets/bulb holders/switches attached?

With them still attached. As long as you've got somewhere to dry it out so it doesn't sit damp then it shouldn't rust. If you're really worried then you could blast the switches, targets etc with a hot air gun or hairdryer before hanging it up :thumbs:

cheers for the advice guys!

So, I'm going to bung it all in the bath and scrub it with all switches/micro switches, targets and bulb holders attached! The hair dryer it out and then lay it out on the underfloor heating infront of the log burner! that should dry it out nicely!

Sound ok to everyone?

Dunc

An airline too if you have access to a compressor to blow any moisture out of molex connectors, microswitches and bulb holders.
I'd go Flash Orange surface cleaner & a bowl of hot soapy water (which is pretty much what everyone else has already said) and sponges and old toothbrushes.

If you want to keep stuff dry-ish avoiding it getting too wet but shifting muck then 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and kitchen cloth by the roll is fantastic and should be in everyone’s kit. Oh and earbuds and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol for icky-gummy areas like the plastic next to the flipper stop.

TFTC.JPG

Attachments

• TFTC.JPG
    TFTC.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. I expect that cutting off all the cable ties is essential, maybe twist it a bit to stop it getting tangled.

Pictures please when you do it!

+1 for the "cillit Bang" method.
I think i used "Cillit Bang Active Foam Soapscum & Shower" - Stick it in the shower, Spray as per instructions, leave 30 mins, Rince and repeat. Then stick in an airing cupboard to dry for a week or so..

Being Valentines the missus is likely expecting rose petals floating on a perfumed bath, she'll be well chuffed when she finds a crusty wiring loom soaking in brake cleaner

tbh, i did say to her that while she was in the shower later getting ready to go out, i'll be in there with her..................................didnt mention the wiring loom. Thought it might be a nice suprise

Dunc

Old romantics here by the sounds of it.

true romance is going to the bog for a no.2 while shes in the shower/bath :D

Anyway, going off on a tangent here! Will get the loom cleaned with cillet bang and rinse in the shower over the next couple of days!

Dunc

will the wife be doing a number 2 while you are using the cillet bang in the shower ? :D

ok, so I cleaned the loom in the bath using Cillet Bang........wow! It really has come up well!!

Before cleaning, I split the loom into 3. GI loom, switches etc loom and the boards underneath loom. Didn't realise it weas so easy to split it up! much easier!

So, my question is.....im refitting the loom seperatly...but which shal I start with?

Dunc

Sounds like I need to be splitting my looms apart too. Going to be stripping the wiring off mine tonight so hopefully get to give it a good clean up over the next few nights.

Well, i've made a bit more progress tonight and hopefully Dunc doesn't mind me hijacking his thread a little; it is related after all.

I've now stripped the wiring loom off the playfield and i'm left with this little lot.

20170220_191054.jpg

I have to say that I wasn't aware of just how tightly wound the various looms are. Is this unique to Data East machines or is it the same with a Bally or Williams? Is it really just a case of taking some time to clip all the tie-wraps and then seperate the looms out? Please convince me this is a good idea because it's giving me the fear a little, which is odd given the amount of other stuff i've done to this machine without really giving it a second thought.

The loom is covered in these labels that I put on so I wouldn't forget what went where.

20170220_191112.jpg

With hindsight it's a bit pointless because I can find which wires went were by either referring to the bazillion pictures I took or looking at the appropriate part of the manual. Like this.

2017-02-20_1931.png

The only other question i've got is about how far back to strip things before sticking it all in the tub. I presume switches like this will be ok so long as they're all dried off properly?

20170220_190919.jpg

There's also four other targets which right now still have a fair bit of the supporting metal work attached. I'm guessing i'd be best off stripping the metal away and tumbling it and then just cleaning the switch stack?

20170220_191008.jpg

As always huge thanks to those that offer advice. :)

No, don't mind at all! It's good to keep the info all together

Not sure on Data East machines, but on the bally williams machines, all the looms are made and cable tied individually, then cable tied together after. These are the ones I un did, there's only about 8 or so holding the 3 looms together. On each loom though, there are loads more keeping each loom neat. I haven't cut these, I've kept them on.

Dunc

Here's a few pics!

20170219_194118.jpg

20170219_184544.jpg

20170220_182438.jpg

Used the spare bedroom and clothes horse before our new carpet is fitted to dry the loom out over the next few days! LOL! Would be a no go if the carpet was down!

Dunc

Reactions: JT.
I had another look at the loom on mine and i'm pretty much certain that the Data East method of wiring is different to Bally Williams. A lot of the GI wiring actually runs in the middle of clusters of other wires and a soul on Pinside has also chimed in that as far as they're aware Data East built their wiring looms as a single assembly.

Handy to know before I clipped all the tie-wraps off mine. ;-)

Mine will still be getting a good cleanup but i'll do it in the bath in a single piece. Means i'll have to take a bit more care with it but other than that it should all be fine.

Back
Top Bottom