What's new

Chroming a Lockdown Bar

AndyB53

Banned
Registered
Nearly finished a full blown restoration on a Getaway. All the usual stuff including a colour DMD and cabinet l re-decal new chrome legs etc I bought new chrome side-rails they look great! Sadly the stainless Lock-down Bar now spoils it. I can "Mop Polish" it and remove all scratches etc but is will never look as good as chrome. Seeing the price of a Chrome one is just plain silly. I am gonna try to get my one chromed. Has anyone tried this? If so can anyone recommend a good chroming company?

There are a ton of metal finishers about, you may wish to find one local. However these are two I've had recommended:

In the north:
Yorkshire Plating Services Ltd
Unit 16-17/Alma Works/Ama St Cutler Heights, Bradford BD4 8RY
01274 651148
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fTjEjVEp7nw9GYgq9

In East london:
K K Chrome Plating Ltd - Powder Coating
3B Bernard Rd, Romford RM7 0HX
01708 749255
https://maps.app.goo.gl/J5wdfqGSUiwnT8UT9

I think the side rails will be thin dense Chrome , so I time around the flipper buttons will tarnish . The lockdown bar will tarnish a lot quicker because we have are palms of our hands on than all the time , so I would go for hard Chrome for the legs and lockdown bar , but hard Chrome is a lot thicker so may course some issue to get it to fit . Not done this myself but was thinking of doing it on one of my machines .

After spending a few hours last night using progressively higher grades of Wet and dry (up to 2500 grit) I have been using a polishing mop this morning on the Stainless. I can now see my ugly mug in the shine so spending well north of £100 on chroming is just not worth it!

There are a few chrome effect powder coatings, some are really authentic chrome looking. Polishing probably gives a decent shine etc (not sure how long it will last with grubby mitts all over it)

Chrome effect is utter rubbish! If you try to Laquer it the stuff goes grey! I have spent virtually a day polishing the Stainless on with a proper polishing Mop and it now looks almost as good as chrome (and it will be hard wearing!

I did NOT say "mirror finish" that is not possible with Stainless. I said "I could see my ugly mug in it" I take a set of pics of the finished machine tomorrow.

Yeah I am glad I did not spend money on it. I Have spent just north of £1K getting this restored but the difference between chrome and polished stainless is just not worth it.

I remember going to Dave the Taxmans house YEARS ago when I sold him a Twilight Zone.
He showed me a lockdown bar he polished - it was an amazing finish! That was a stock item.

Another option that a lot of people like is powder coating....

Back
Top Bottom