What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chewlix

SteadyP

Registered
Alias
Steady
Hi all- I’m thinking about a multicade , are these Chewlix cabs any good? Have tried to post on UkVac but it’s awaiting moderator approval…..

I’ve got next to zero knowledge on these but they look more practical than squeezing a MAME cab through the house as the control deck appears to flip upright

Ive got a couple of chewlix cabs and they are ok depending on what you want to do with them. (one like this and one a different model)

This looks to be one of the better older ones, there are newer ones where the monitor surround is one solid piece so you cant rotate it to vertical.

They come Jamma wired (6 button Chamma) with a Pandoras box and arcade PSU.

The monitor is likely a 1080P version over the 768P that proper Vewlixs tend to come with.

They wont have any JVS parts in them PSU, I/O etc. to use with JVS arcade hardware.

They run on 240v so can be plugged in directly without a 100v transformer/drop down.

They have a power strip inside for a PC etc, but its chinese/australian plugs so you need a special power cable.

They wont run standard arcade PCBs by default as you will need a CGA to VGA converter, some machines may have these in them already (Ones usually supplied by Mo at Videotronics) and the PSU may not have a -5v rail that some PCBs need.

The control panels on them should be vewlix compatible so you can easily get a 1 player/special ones easily that will fit. (The cheaper solid screen surround ones dont as they are a different size)

The monitor can be rotated in these, but its not perfect, you need some special brackets and Ive found that there us a gap between the monitor surround and the speakers when the monitor is vertical.

They also come with a sound amplifier which annoyingly is wired direct to the Jamma edge to get sound from the Pandoras Box but that is already amplified for direct speaker connection so the sounds are a bit distorted.

Also price seems ok for what it is based on what they are selling for now new/used from suppliers, but I would make a lower offer for it to see if they would take it.

Just wondering if that could be one of the Videotronics ones as its got stainless/shiny metal trim on the sides where on mine its gloss black, so could be slightly higher spec with a CGA to VGA converter.

They are lovely cabs... I prefer to stick to my atomiswave for the meantime as the prices on the Viewlix etc are £££ :)

I have one, really nice cabs. I have a TTX3 multi image in mine but have also purchased connectors from RS so I can plug in a JPAC and run my PC emulation on without hacking the wiring.

I stripped it and cleaned it, it had 'yellowed' from use in an arcade. I have purchased a new monitor for it but not fitted yet. The existing monitor has a DVI connection in it.

They are really heavy, heavier than I expected (not as heavy as a pinball though)

Guys he's asking about a Chewlix cabinet and not an original Vewlix cabinet.

These are chinese replica cabs that dont come with any of the JVS stuff built in.

Monitor will have VGA and HDMI definately, but possibly also DVI.

Thanks all for the input- @Fantazia2 are they likely to have decent buttons and sticks like Sanwa or will they be cheep clones?

Should also say the control panel doesnt so much flip up but can be fully removed.
When they get delivered new there are 2 brackets that are used to hold it in an upright position for transport, if the seller bought it new they may still have them, I know I kept mine.

I've got four smaller jamma cabs on the way. One, maybe two will be up for sale. One's a Silverline, the other a Winfall with an LCD
I’m not sure how big a Silverline or Winfall is but am mainly considering Viewlix / Chewlix for practicality- as width wise when deck is taken off they should get through into my house easier. Also like the idea of being able to plug and play as in past was sick of d*cking around with button mapping and bios files etc.

I’m not sure how big a Silverline or Winfall is but am mainly considering Viewlix / Chewlix for practicality- as width wise when deck is taken off they should get through into my house easier. Also like the idea of being able to plug and play as in past was sick of d*cking around with button mapping and bios files etc.
They're about the same size as a BAS cab IMG_0405.jpeg

Just wondering if that could be one of the Videotronics ones as its got stainless/shiny metal trim on the sides where on mine its gloss black, so could be slightly higher spec with a CGA to VGA converter.
Pandora’s box seems to have lots of issues with button mapping so would probably look to add a taito x3 multi. Noticed there’s a Nesica 500 GB and also a 1TB multi version but not sure of difference other than no of games? Have contacted the Ebay seller but he’s selling on behalf of a friend so literally couldn’t tell me anything else than what’s in the description of the advert. Mo from Videotronics has pointed me onto this one he has which is an upgraded spec Chewlix which seems decent but not sure if this is best for what I’m now interested in:
IMG_2126.jpeg

I seen this Chewlix when it was first listed, its dropped price now, was/is tempting as its not so far from me.

I have looked at these cabs many times, my plan was to put a Switch inside one. Should just be a case of chopping the jamma/chamma wiring and hook up to brooks universal fighting boards, maybe video adaptors and splitting audio to an amp. Never seems to be easy to find out the right specs when someone lists one on eBay but they do pop up now and again, I asked the specs question on this earlier also, no reply yet.

Quite as few options on these Vewlix and Chewlix types of cabinets, all depends on what you want to run inside them. Personally a Pandora box inside one running in widescreen is these will not be so great.

Originally when I was looking I was always pointed to an original Vewlix from videotronics also, though the chewlix ones will be decent for messing around with.

You will have issues with using a taito type x with a Chewlix as it doesn't have the JVS I/O in it for the controls, you would have to get a jamma to JVS adapter (or JVS to jamma, never sure which way round to say it.

Might be better off with just a mame pc with jpac or pi to jamma setup for HDMI out.

People do all sorts on these cabs, like adding side buttons and an upper LCD marquee to play some pinball.

See around 8mins

Just as an alternative opinion I've had 4 vewlixs over the years and always ended up feeling that after upgrading them with 4k screens, samwa/seimitsu, joysticks/buttons flash panels, hooking up ps4s, switch's etc upgrading speakers etc. I'd rather play on couch on a bigger tv. At that stage I had basically paid for a metal shell which I felt was a bit pointless for an experience that's very similar to playing in living room. Always ended up moving them on in the end, (and buying them again or getting them in trades) they are very versitile for hooking up stuff too but for me the experience wasn't anything like a proper old school chip shop jamma cab with shinobi in it.

Just as an alternative opinion I've had 4 vewlixs over the years and always ended up feeling that after upgrading them with 4k screens, samwa/seimitsu, joysticks/buttons flash panels, hooking up ps4s, switch's etc upgrading speakers etc. I'd rather play on couch on a bigger tv. At that stage I had basically paid for a metal shell which I felt was a bit pointless for an experience that's very similar to playing in living room. Always ended up moving them on in the end, (and buying them again or getting them in trades) they are very versitile for hooking up stuff too but for me the experience wasn't anything like a proper old school chip shop jamma cab with shinobi in it.
Think you have nailed it nothing will beat a chippie Shinobi :)

Depends what you want from these type cabs I guess, I reckon the best option is not to spend a fortune on them unless you plan to run higher end consoles and games. Just use the tv if you want all this 4k stuff.

Back
Top Bottom