What's new

Champion Pub - lost ball issue

richk87

Registered
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the pinball scene so I apologise in advance.

I have recently acquired a Champion Pub and it seems to have an issue of not being able to find the ball in certain situations.

First one being when the ball is locked. The game then doesn't ready a new ball and then the game tries searching for the ball in game.

It also sometimes doesn't register that the ball has gone into the trough, needing a restart.

Any help is appreciated. (This is my first post)

Rich

New to this myself mate but I’d imagine it’s a switch or an opto that detects the ball in those two places, have a good look where the ball sits when it’s ‘locked’ and see if there’s a switch that isn’t quite actuating - maybe? I think the ball trough is an opto on mine, if it works sometimes but not others it may just need a quick clean.

Be interesting to hear other suggestions as I’m on a steep learning curve here and loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rich
Apologies if I’m mistaken but I may have helped you set that machine up the other week next to your STTNG?
It will be worth looking at the manual and seeing if those switches are on the same row or column. It may be a loose connector somewhere. Check wires at the switches and look for anything suspicious. Check the wiring against a known working switch with the same configuration.
Post some pics of you get stuck. We’ll crack it 👍

Hi 🙂 Yea I think you may have, Gareth was it?
I'm just out at the moment, but should be about an hour and will have a look around then.
It doesn't happen all of the time but occurs intermittently.
Thanks for your help.

Hi 🙂 Yea I think you may have, Gareth was it?
I'm just out at the moment, but should be about an hour and will have a look around then.
It doesn't happen all of the time but occurs intermittently.
Thanks for your help.

that’s me mate. If it’s intermittent it could be something loose.

Switch check is your friend.

open the coin door. Press the button and select switch check

now tap on a switch and it will show on the matrix and beep

check the one where the ball locks. If it doesn’t register then check to see if a wire has come off

I would think it’s probably a ball trough problem won’t happen every time but I would check when it’s pop a ball in to the shooter lane that all the balls have moved down in the trough I suspect not first thing is to remove all the balls and check they are not magnetised and sticking together in the trough then also check there are no divets in the trough hence the ball sits in them and does not slide down ready to be served into the shooter lane another obvious thing is to check the optos in the trough as other people have mentioned
If all these are ok then have a look at the lock switch you must do this with the balls and not just press them with your fingers and do all 3 as it would be when playing the game ie all 3 balls stacked

Mine was intermittent on family guy. If no luck with Chris's suggestion above try wiggling the connection to the opto board. Mine was a dry solder joint.

Back
Top Bottom