What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Centaur inlane plastics

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
Does anyone have spare inlane plastics for Centaur? these must be the smallest inlane plastics ever....

Attachments

• image-17.jpg
    image-17.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 36
Sorry, @kevlar. No replacement CENTAUR plastics here, but I do an inlane plastic that's at least as small on my GOLD BALL!

farm8.staticflickr.com_7553_16280526881_07bd84a08b_c.jpg

It's so tiddly I completely missed it when I took all the plastics off to clean them :rolleyes:

Does anyone have spare inlane plastics for Centaur? these must be the smallest inlane plastics ever....

They are included in the full plastic set from CPR, but quite frankly they need to be sold separately as well, as they are always missing /broken on Centaurs.

I've got a CPR set coming, so we need to work out how to repro the inlanes and make a bucket full of them for people with the same problem

I've got a CPR set coming, so we need to work out how to repro the inlanes and make a bucket full of them for people with the same problem

Sounds like a great idea, we have a few electronics experts on here, do we have anyone good with plastics?

I need to experiment with reproducing a plastic as this one is munzted on my GOLD BALL:

farm8.staticflickr.com_7575_16106511969_e6b4726d83_c.jpg

They all seem to be like this on GB, a real week spot, so I though I'd use some thicker plastic, at least 3mm maybe even 4 or 5mm. The plastic will be Lexan/Makrolon (polycarbonate) as it's tough - much stronger than the original 30+ year old stuff.

For the graphics I was going to experiment with window stickers. These are reverse printed and designed to be stuck on the inside of a glass window, just like how pinball plastics have the images reverse screen-printed on the plastic underside. Stickers can be supplied on either clear or white vinyl. White to me seems the obvious choice as pinball plastics are usually white on the back to diffuse the GI lighting. It should be possible to get them stuck onto the Lexan completely bubble-free. I have a sample pack somewhere... I'll see if there's a window sticker in there and trying it on a bit of Lexan.

As a guide to prices, a 1-off A4 sized sticker costs £12.20 including delivery from diginate, which I reckon would be large enough for maybe 8-10 slingshots.

I need a completely new unobtanium plastic for Jolly Park.... i have a scan.....

Ok! Challenge accepted!

I had a rummage and found a sample window sticker from http://www.edgestickers.co.uk/, type ST07 - Full colour vinyl window sticker, digital print CMYK, removable adhesive, white backed (type ST06 has permanent adhesive). I've got some scrap Lexan left over from my GOLD BALL playfield protector. It's only 0.75mm but will do get an idea:

Stage 1. Remove protective film and slap on the sticker!

farm9.staticflickr.com_8580_15970532943_ec4ab68867_c.jpg

Flip it over. Not bad, few air bubbles (possibly some dust, I wasn't trying very hard!):

farm8.staticflickr.com_7363_16564319966_e00d9273e6_c.jpg

Remove film from the top-side:

farm8.staticflickr.com_7456_16403278610_1204a6075f_c.jpg

Shiny!

farm8.staticflickr.com_7294_16403278350_f728bb289d_c.jpg

farm8.staticflickr.com_7318_16564319146_132f652999_c.jpg

Excellent quality in natural daylight:

farm8.staticflickr.com_7449_16404447719_b42c680908_c.jpg

And a basic light test in front of 60W strip light:

farm9.staticflickr.com_8683_16564318616_218fca7b44_c.jpg

So far, so good. I reckon that warrants further investigation unless anyone else has access to a UV Solvent Printer?

Good enough for me to order some stickers to try on GOLD BALL. I'm going to scan and vectorise a few plastics (slingshots, etc.) including the one that's broken one for the targets and get a sticker printed. I can then make repros and compare them to the originals side-by-side as well as fixing the broken one, which I have to do no matter what (that one is a bit different as mounted vertically and no GI underneath it).

Have you got a scanner @kevlar? If so, chuck your CENTAUR inlane plastic in it and send me the file. I'll add a few copies onto my sticker sheet. Whilst I was rummaging I found an A3 sheet of 3mm Lexan I forgot I'd ordered! Not promising they'll be brilliant but worth a try.

If you do scan it put a ruler in there too for scaling!

How are you going to cut the plastics? Do I remember a thread with you talking about a mini-CNC machine from a while back?

Looks like lasers are the way to do it. I keep fancying picking up one of those cheap Chinese laser cutters, but I don't have the room

They all seem to be like this on GB, a real week spot,

I hadn't noticed before but it's clear on this photo that mine is broken too. Obviously somebody has effected some kind of repair per the extra screws. Whilst I'm looking at this area do you want me to bring this cover plate over to Salisbury tomorrow to borrow for the replacement pattern?

WP_20150220_13_50_50_Pro[1].jpg

How are you going to cut the plastics? Do I remember a thread with you talking about a mini-CNC machine from a while back?

Looks like lasers are the way to do it. I keep fancying picking up one of those cheap Chinese laser cutters, but I don't have the room
My next-door neighbour has a benchtop mini-CNC for doing control panels and one-off PCBs. He mentioned about wanting to get a laser... @astyy has conveniently put a photo above of the metal plate that sites above the triple spot-targets on GOLD BALL. I am going to use the mini-CNC to cut out some new ones for us.

But for the plastics I'd use my new trusty mini-router for the Dremel. I also have a scroll saw. The edges can then be cleaned and buffed (no flame polishing for polycarbonate!).

The thought had crossed my mind @Paul ;)

Need to perfect my cutting and polishing. Polycarbonate edges can be solvent polished with methylene chloride, but I've yet to lay my hands on some of that! Apparently acetone works so may have to raid the wife's nail polish remover :D

Also, need to run a few trials with different stickers, or see if it's possible to adhere a printed photographic paper (although I'd want to use a synthetic film rather than actual paper).

If you do manage to do the inlane plastics for @kevlar, then I would buy a pair 2.

I don't have a scanner, but I will help by getting mine scanned in if I can when they arrive

See? I just can't resist trying something new. Paul sent me his Jolly Park plastic scans... terrible quality! Have started to vectorise in Inkscape (the little white star in the middle so far). Black and white "inks" sit on different layers above the original image at the bottom. Layers can be turned on and off as your editing. The white fill of the star slightly extends under the black edges, which is how proper screen-printing would work:

Vectorise.png

I have done this previously made my own plastics that is. I used to scan them at 600dpi but you will have to recolourise them with a program like photo shop etc prior to printing though as they will look washed out otherwise
@TYHO done his own custom plastics for his Ramones machine

Last edited:
Got my scanner working, is 300dpi sufficient Peter? Scanner goes upto 1200. Also JPEG, Bmp or Tiff?
300dpi is sufficient because the commercial printers for these sticker products work at 300dpi. If you can go higher then do so, although on a lot of cheaper scanners this is actually done through interpolation in software. Don't worry about it, just go for the highest settings. Don't save as JPEG as it's a compressed image format that will introduce irregularities. BMP or TIFF are fine but may end up being too large to send via email but we can work that out. If you use TIFF make sure it's non-compressed.

Don't worry if there are any odd bits here or there, I'll clean it up best I can. As CENTAUR is black and white I can also re-colour the image to use pure tones.

This is all experimental, so I'll do a few sets with different shades so you can get a best match. Just chuck me a beer token later via PayPal to cover postage etc. I'm going to do an A4 sheet of stickers which costs £12.20 plus £2.75 for the Lexan. I should be able to fit on several CENTAUR test sets for @kevlar and @lukewells, a couple of target plastics for mine and @astyy's GOLD BALL, @Paul's missing JOLLY PARK inlane guide and @Hiro996 needs something unobtanium for one of his pins.

Back
Top Bottom