What's new

Calling gottlieb experts

It's all worth it Dom.... ;). Hadn't been done on any of mine either.... think I've done them all but a couple now. 5v regulators too.

For info, the music on my Excalibur drops in and out. Usually switching machine off and back on again sorts it.... but definitely intermittent on mine. Not got round to sourcing the problem.

Yes my gottlieb dream has been a bit tainted by the whole experience so far. But I'll get there in the end. I do like the game as it is nice and simple but still challenging.

I was where you are Dom a few years back with my first Sys80B (Arena). Stick with it, once sorted.... they're cool. :cool:

Yes my gottlieb dream has been a bit tainted by the whole experience so far. But I'll get there in the end. I do like the game as it is nice and simple but still challenging.

Don’t be put off just yet!! Remember these games are over 30 years old and will need a few basics sorting first as things don’t last forever. How many 30 year old cars are still running fine without restoration?

My gold wings would be the sole game if I could only have 1 in a collection :thumbs:

Reactions: JMP
Don't worry. Took me a long time to source the game in the first place. I won't let it go.

Reactions: JMP
My gold wings would be the sole game if I could only have 1 in a collection :thumbs:

There was A Gold Wings on Ebay Germany this week Jim I had my eyes on.... went for £815. Shame they don't come up over here often... 90's operators not keen at the time it appears. Shoot whoever came up with MDF !

Three gold wings up for grab in france but all around 1500 euros each.

Update on Excalibur.
Andy came to bring the game back to life. Thanks Andy.
Jim fixed the sound board. Thanks jim.
So I now have a fully working game with sound for the first time! Yipee.

Next challenges: high scores get lost every time I turn the game off. What can I do?
Also is there any way the game can be set of free play????
Thanks

Hello,

The loss of high scores may be a problem with the back-up battery if all the scores are lost, but that era Gottlieb games did have an option to retain only the No.1 score when turned off. In an arcade, this would've seen some sense of 'achievement' each day, without a high percentage of replays being awarded. While not being totally au fait with Gottlieb solid state games, I'd be surprised if there isn't a Free Play facility

Edit - Apparently there isn't a free play option with the standard software, though there is an alteration available to provide it, by changing one of the program chips

Last edited:
It is interesting what you have just said as I noticed that if I turn the game off and on within few minutes, only the highest score remains.
If however I wait a day before turning it back on, all the scores have disappeared.
It suggests it is keeping a score somewhere but is unable to keep it for long periods of time.
What do the backup battery look like on this?

Update on Excalibur.
Andy came to bring the game back to life. Thanks Andy.
Jim fixed the sound board. Thanks jim.
So I now have a fully working game with sound for the first time! Yipee.

Next challenges: high scores get lost every time I turn the game off. What can I do?
Also is there any way the game can be set of free play????
Thanks

No problem on the sound board. Glad to be of service :thumbs:

Re high scores check dip switch setting number 6 is off & number 23 is on

Change battery or fit new remote one if not installed

Re free play, yes you need a new set of free play roms. I can supply if you need them.

Dom, as above for freeplay ROMS, or simply fit an additional second switch to the start button and attached coin credit wires to it. Every time you start a game, it credits at same time. I've done this on a few of mine.

@lukewells is developing NVRAM chips for the CPU's, negating the need for batteries. Got one in my Alien Star as a test prototype.... can let you know if/when sorted.

Ah he's a good lad that Luke Wells, saves me making one.

Heh... and what project number would that have been ? ;)

I got five on order.... just need him to escape his cave !

Alternative way for freeplay that's not been mentioned is to jumper a high score button press to add credits... Normally done on the switch diode board inside the cabinet on the left of the coin door.

Alternative way for freeplay that's not been mentioned is to jumper a high score button press to add credits... Normally done on the switch diode board inside the cabinet on the left of the coin door.

Yes making better use of those hs entry buttons is worthwhile!

I'd love to have been in the Gottlieb engineering meeting when they decided the easiest way to allow hs entry was to add 2 more buttons :hmm:

I'd love to have been in the Gottlieb engineering meeting when they decided the easiest way to allow hs entry was to add 2 more buttons :hmm:

At an arcade in Weston way back then, I saw two young women playing a Monte Carlo (yes, some people did) who were trying to use the h/score buttons to operate the r/h flipper

AIR the original fitment battery was a circular 'coin' type

yup,and that photo tranlights really do look good,mdf for cabs is giod,
At an arcade in Weston way back then, I saw two young women playing a Monte Carlo (yes, some people did) who were trying to use the h/score buttons to operate the r/h flipper

AIR the original fitment battery was a circular 'coin' type

nah mate that's system 3,80b is a battery a few inches long

Trying to check the batteries. Took the attached picture. You can see a previous attempt at relocating the batteries that hasn't worked. A couple of questions:
- Is the original battery the grey squarish component shown on second picture?
- any idea why the external batteries haven't worked?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20180323_133828.jpg
    20180323_133828.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180323_133832.jpg
    20180323_133832.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 16
Trying to check the batteries. Took the attached picture. You can see a previous attempt at relocating the batteries that hasn't worked. A couple of questions:
- Is the original battery the grey squarish component shown on second picture?
- any idea why the external batteries haven't worked?
Thanks

The square ish grey component is your clock crystal mate. I'm assuming that you have changed these remote batteries for fresh ?? and that the output voltage is 4.5v or around that? I wouldn't be surprised if the 5101 ram is on its way out to

Also, did you check the settings I mentioned?

The remote batteries setting was installed by Andy when he looked at it. He did warn me he wasn't sure it would work. So the batteries are new.
Dip switch checked and ok: 6 is off and 23 is on. See photo.
I haven't checked 4.5v out of holder. I will do it.

Attachments

• 15218161598091410003127.jpg
    15218161598091410003127.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom