What's new

Calling all AFM and MM owners both originals and remakes!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

So many of you might have listened to Head2Head this week and caught Colin's comment on the drooping flippers on AFMR and MM! @kevlar had mentioned this to me before when he was at my house and I dismissed his claims on the flippers! :D @kevlar listed to the H2H podcast and pointed out the righteousness of his view point that Colin concurred with in which that the flippers should be aligned to the inlines. :D with a ditty mic drop gif. oh really? :) Hold my Beer!

So this became an issue of greater importance than Brexit! - How should the flippers be?

So challenge accepted! I decided I would write to Brian and Lyman (Brian Eddy and Lyman Sheats who designed and coded the game respectively). I actually never expected a reply but was pleased to get the reply :D

I got the first reply yesterday afternoon from Lyman:

Hi Neil,

If my memory serves me correctly, the flippers on AFM (and MM, for that matter) were flopped (angled down slightly over the spotting marks) because Brian wanted the players to be able to make the outside shots (ramps, loops) a bit more. That is what I remember.

But I'll let Brian speak for himself.

Lyman

The pleasing in sharing this with @kevlar was high! There was some Yosemite Sam like grumbling "I stand by my mic drop". Hold my other beer

Late last night I got another email, this time from Brian!

Hi Neil,

Yes Lyman is correct. Dropped. The tip of the flippers are about .25 lower than if they would be if aligned to the return lanes for the exact reason Lyman mentioned - to make the outside shots a little more doable.

While I'd prefer them aligned it really depends on the playfield and where the shots are at. When you have major shots on the outside edges flopping the flippers just makes them easier to shoot and hence just feels better and keeps the flow going. MM is the same as AFM.

Brian

Gentleman, start your allen keys!

Cheers,
Neil.

It's nice that one of the top players in the world agrees with me but you can't argue with the designer :D. It would be interesting to know how everyone's are set up though ( not the remakes, they are all drooped), I bet a fair % have been aligned with the inlane over the years.

If the machines had extremely off center shots, like ghostbusters or the left spinner on IMDN I'd understand the need but the orbits on mm and AFM aren't difficult to hit.

I'll retreat now. :p

Don't the originals have a hole in the playfield under each flipper? The idea being that if you stuck something like a match in the hole the flipper bat should just rest on the match when not being used (presumably without rubber). That's where I always align my WMS flippers to as I presume the designer has decided where the holes should be.

But there is much better flow with the proper design :D

My problem with non-"droopy" flippers is it makes the games too easy to catch and hold the ball. I prefer the games to be more challenging, easy games get old fast.

It is kind of ironic though that the designers dropped the flippers to make it easier to hit orbits, when really controlling the ball is key especially with games like AFM and MM where you can get big points hitting the castle/ufo and regaining control of the ball. But if it's all about flow them I'm with them on that, the remakes do seem to flow well.

Wading into the debate! Nice to get replies from Lyman/Eddy btw :)

So, I looked at the promo video.

Presume this game would have been set up the way Eddy wanted?

No way are those flippers as low as the remake:eek:

They might be a tad lower than aligning to guides but I think remake are too low!

Don’t think you can clearly tell from that angle! They are pretty specific on where they should be. I will measure my AFM tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Regarding the alignment holes, the i500 I used to have had quite droopy flippers ( which I fixed, obviously ? ) but even in their droopy state they were nowhere near the alignment holes! @Nickbs please check for me, it was a few years ago and my memory isn't what it was :(.

Nobody believes the promos anyway! ;)

I’ve left mine dropping and no aligned

You can make the orbit shots better and it’s the way it’s meant to be

Who plays pinball by catching the ball every time on the flippers ????? that’s retarded!!!!

I would align them properly (in my view this is a direct line from the inlanes). If the factory are having them set angled down, i suspect this is to maximise profit on site and not for maximum enjoyment!

Who plays pinball by catching the ball every time on the flippers ????? that’s retarded!!!!

Pretty much everyone who wants a high score:)

Do u not control the ball when u play then? Just crazily mash the flippers and hope for the best

The only time I feel the need to adjust my flippers is when they come back from loan at kevlar's 🤣.

My TNA has one flipper that matches the inlane and one doesn't, that must be a nightmare for you OCD types😂

I always like my flippers to be aligned with the inlanes too. I hate it when they they are dropped lower as it just interferes with the shot geometry for me and makes it harder to aim.

The orbits on MM aren't difficult to hit anyway so theres no real need. If anything fast balls on machines set up this way just tend to float in midair instead of along the flipper.

I don't think having them set lower affects the flow in a negative way either. To those who think it does, perhaps you haven't realised quite how far you can let the ball roll down the flipper before flipping and the kind of shot angles that can be achieved. The flippers in the video below look pretty aligned to the inlanes to me. ;)

Regarding the alignment holes, the i500 I used to have had quite droopy flippers ( which I fixed, obviously ? ) but even in their droopy state they were nowhere near the alignment holes! @Nickbs please check for me, it was a few years ago and my memory isn't what it was :(.
Sorry @kevlar - only just seen this. I'll have a look over the weekend to see if your old droopy flippers are aligned with your holes! 😉 Ooh err missus!!🙈🙈

Very belated response as pinball has bee taking a bit of a backseat in recent weeks, but here's your answer @kevlar, but here's you answer - no droop here!😄😄IMG_0702.JPG

Back
Top Bottom