What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus Canyon remake chat

i had a good look at the ones supplied , they look ok to me, i know that sterns are not very good , don`t really know if cgc use better quality or not,, will keep checking them as the months go by
Thanks I’ll keep them in there for now then and keep a eye on them

Howdy folks, I wonder if anyone can help.

When I press and hold the left flipper if flips twice and then drops down, I've checked the EOS switch and thats fine.
With the machine powered off I have metered the left and right flipper coils (in place so still connected to the game) and they both give the same readings.

You can see the issue while the machine is in the flipper test here;

Should I replace the coil?

When I press and hold the left flipper if flips twice and then drops down, I've checked the EOS switch and thats fine.
With the machine powered off I have metered the left and right flipper coils (in place so still connected to the game) and they both give the same readings.

My first call would be to wherever you bought it from, Pinball Heaven?

That looks like one of the coil windings is broken, it's trying to use the gold winding but it isn't working so it drops.

Check the coil lugs and connections to the coil, whether it solder or spade connectors. I find it hard to imagine a coil winding is broken on a brand new coil, it's probably just something that came loose in transit assuming they test these things before they ship and a winding can't break in transit (I could be proven wrong 😄)

Broken coil
fuse gone
Or
Bad mosfet

I am not near a manual to give anymore advice.
I've checked the fuse and its good.
I also metered the coil and get the same reading on the good flipper coil.
So bad power board? I guess.

Very frustrating to have a fault after waiting over 2 years for your machine.

Is there a test for the flipper coil windings, as there was for the original Fliptronic systems? i.e. the software pulses the windings on its own, without use of the flipper buttons. If so, select left side hold and see if it actually works; it won't be much of a flip, but if the winding's okay it should move a little. Or hold the flipper raised, and feel for a surge as the winding's pulsed. The symptom I see in the video shouts 'hold winding not working'. Before solid-state flipper control came along, a coil with the hold winding broken would 'chatter' like that until it burned out, if the button was held long enough.

Can a coil fail during transit? A brand-new Getaway had a hold winding broken when unpacked at work, showing exactly the situation above. You'd think it couldn't have left Williams like that, but after our experience with Diner, I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Found the issue….

First off I did not mention here my first issue with the BNIB CCr LE, that being when I unpacked the game, I found that the larger black cable-tidy that goes from the backbox and into the playfield was so F’ing tight that it was almost snapping!
Needless to say I carefully folded the head back and then checked the connectors in the backbox, sure enough who ever the clown was on the CGC packing line they had ripped two connectors out in the backbox, that had resulted in bending most of the pins on those connectors.
I had to gently bend the pins back in place to get the connectors back on.

So much for QA and testing of machine before they go out.

So onto the issue, tonight I replaced the coil and got the same problem.
I found in the menu for coils that the left hold would not fire, so started looking at the grey/white wire, and lo and behold due to the way the idiots at CGC had folded the head down during packing the grey/white wire had been stripped back to bare wire by a cable-tie, whilst other wires look OK, but you can see and feel that due to the tightness of the cables others have got pretty big indentations!

With the bare wire it allowed me to meter to the coil, that was fine, then to meter to the power board, and I got an odd reading i.e. not straight through but resistance!
So I examined the wire all the way from the bare point back to the power board and it looks fine, although with me having to pull and trace it now reads as a break!

Tomorrow I will replace the broken wire and hope that it is fixed.

My worry is with the way CGC packed the game am I going to get issues in time with other wires?

CGC what a F’ing joke!

Attachments

• 20240119_195849.jpg
    20240119_195849.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240119_195923.jpg
    20240119_195923.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 45
What's the code like on these? Did they sort out & finish the original or is it just as wms left it. CCC is alot to live upto..
Have to be honest, CCC blows the pants out of the CGC code. Erik (think I go the right spelling) did a marvellous job.

It is a shame that @myPinballs and Erik can not sell a kit to install CCC on the remake.

I think the original game is pretty average, but the CCC really improves things. I would rather own a CC original (with PROC and CCC) than a remake. Sure the screen is better in the remake but that is about it.

You can put makeup and a dress on a horse, but it is still a horse.

CGC have gone very quiet over the Lyman code, along with the 'barn doors' mod they are supposed to be supplying in a kit (something from the prototype).

as i have now owned the 3 versions of this game here`s my take on the game, the original was a okay game but not finished code wise ,very rare game to own, had to scratch the itch to own one,, the ccc that i had was fantastic with the continued code,, fart multiball , drunk multiball,, cowboys v aliens etc, the only let down for me was the code was pc based and on quite a few occasions it would freeze up mid game, not being that computer literate this scared me , if that pc failed i would have a large paperweight , so when a fellow forum member offered to buy it it was gone,, this latest ccr le is what the original should have been, the original code has been updated with some more smaller modes to complete , there is now an ending to the match scores, or course the lighting is a lot better with led`s etc, the topper is a work of art, reminds me a lot of the indiana jones bar shootout in video mode,, got a couple of mods coming from the states ,,the water tower mod that covers the motor that drives the train and rosie`s sallon door mod that will cover the big switch gate in front of bart ,,time will tell if the lyman code comes out , if it`s half as good as the continued program it will sell well,, if it never comes out the game is good enough for me.

I think with the lyman code and the hardware add on this will be next level the kids weren’t ever interested in playing previous pins with this it’s hard to get a go on it

I'm really enjoying it. Oddly enough its one of a few games I have never owned so feels new'ish (apart from the similarities to MM, AFM & MB).
Needless to say one has to set the game up harder as on defaults it is quite easy to finish.
But loving the old old school feeling of it, the callouts, flow and simplicity are just fun.

I can not wait for the LFS code, I do wonder how much longer that will be...

I don't believe you can buy the mirrored back glass separately, at the moment anyway. Though I might be wrong here.

People who ordered the CGC CC remake from certain distributors are also given the option to purchase the mirrored back glass , Freddy's Pinball Paradise being one for example,

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 12.59.40.png

https://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?f=3&q=1547374806

The mirrored back glass looks really nice though, see some photos and a video below,

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2kmef8jow1yjv1jyfk8y9/h?dl=0&rlkey=h6sxkwejmbpymw5zpfljcqnui

Could well be worth contacting Freddy's if you have CCR to see if they will sell to you.

Have you asked Phil at Pinball Heaven, all other mentions of it seem to say only available from the retailer?

I don't believe you can buy the mirrored back glass separately, at the moment anyway. Though I might be wrong here.

People who ordered the CGC CC remake from certain distributors are also given the option to purchase the mirrored back glass , Freddy's Pinball Paradise being one for example,

View attachment 243360

https://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?f=3&q=1547374806

The mirrored back glass looks really nice though, see some photos and a video below,

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2kmef8jow1yjv1jyfk8y9/h?dl=0&rlkey=h6sxkwejmbpymw5zpfljcqnui

Could well be worth contacting Freddy's if you have CCR to see if they will sell to you.
Yea I will give it a try and give them my le number and see what they say

Back
Top Bottom