What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying etiquette

Grazdogster

Registered
Alias
Grazdogster
Hello everyone,

It is great to find this site. I have recently moved to England from Australia and am looking to start a collection. I have found a pin that is too far away to view but the sellers credentials, photos, videos look good. He said it is normal to pay a deposit to secure the sale with the balance paid after the courier picks it up. Is that the way things are done here?

Is the seller on this forum? If so they are probably decent, but find out their forum name, have a look at their history to get comfort.

If they aren't on here I would suggest - what do others think? - that you should tread carefully.

I'm not saying that all honest pinball fans are on here, but most are. Maybe?

I'm not active in buying and selling pins, but I see posts on here about Facebook scams, so I'd definitely take in board any advice you get here.

But if the seller is an active member here it goes a long way to knowing you can trust them. Doesn't mean they're not a bit of a dick in their posts sometimes, mind.

X

Someone here might DM you and privately offer to review the comms tou have had with the seller. There are many people here that are wise to this stuff, and it's a helpful decent bunch on thos forum even if we do have a bit of handbags from time to time.

I think of it as a rugby, not football vibe on here.

All having a laugh with a drink in the bar after the game.

I always when I buy pay for the pinball if the seller wants. Or I will pay cash on collection.

When I sell. I ask for payment straight away unless the buyer collects in person.

You have to look at peoples past on here. Also if you like an item listed - then you could post ‘has anyone dealt with this guy before - I am new here’ then watch replies and inbox.

I would not be knarked off if you put that on a listing of mine.

At the end of the day the forum does not run the sale. It is up to the buyer/seller to discuss terms.

I’ve paid cash/ bacs on collection on all mine.
I’d personally advise that, unless it’s a well known member or a small deposit.

But as someone suggested, ask around on here for references etc. very helpful bunch this lot.

I think everyone is assuming he's buying from here. Doesn't sound like it to me. @Grazdogster Where did you see the advert for this pin?

Hows ebay these days with getting money back if its a scam (paid through ebay/paypal proper channels)

Last i saw its very stacked in the buyers favour, its the seller that has to be careful!! as ebay a very quick to side with buyer.

If thats still the case then less of a worry going that route, The 2 pins i bought through ebay went without an issue, just pricey!

It’s between the buyer and seller, the forum is simply a way to connect like minded people. Proceed only if you feel comfortable and don’t rush into anything.

There can be bad apples, like any hobby, but my personal experience has been very positive - one member even gave me a +£7k game and then asked me to pay whenever I could, which turned out to be over about 4 months. It came by courier, still never met them!

Other forum members can be asked to verify buyer and seller credentials.

Think it depends on how well known you are. I've paid in full and got them to send it when they can, others have done the same the other way. If you're a 1 week old member buying a 7K game, I'd ask for a deposit and it wouldn't ship/be collected until payment and cleared funds.

I’ve bought 5 machines from people from this great forum, 4 very happy with, 1 very very unhappy with! My 2p, if you’re parting with significant sums of money then go and have a look in person.

If your buying from pictures, make sure ALL pictures are of decent quality and show ALL angles of the machine. The vast majority of people on here are very honest, on mentioning defects, but you may also want to be careful when X member is selling a machine and Y member chips into tell you how good/cheap it is, occasionally if you do your digging you find member Y was the previous owner or just good pals with X 🤔

Your money, you take the risks you’re happy with.

Chris.

As a seller if I didn’t know you I’d want the cash up front and cleared into my account before collection. (Or cash on the day if it absolutely had to be)

If I know the person which is the vast majority of the time) then it’s all as and when. Normally dependant on martins delivery time.

Not sure I’d even consider going down the eBay route now as a buyer unless it’s going to be covered by PayPal.

If no one on here can vouch for the seller then I would tread very very carefully.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been a lurker on this forum for a while - since before leaving Oz (needed to know where my next pin would come from!) and the vibe seemed right to get advice. You have just proven me correct, thanks. The seller seems thoroughly legit to me from what I have seen on here - Garry Sp8

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been a lurker on this forum for a while - since before leaving Oz (needed to know where my next pin would come from!) and the vibe seemed right to get advice. You have just proven me correct, thanks. The seller seems thoroughly legit to me from what I have seen on here - Garry Sp8

Can't go wrong dealing with Garry - you'll get a great machine and he's an old skool good guy, Been on the scene since I have ...a long time ! Imagine if Gandalf was into pinball :D

Can't go wrong dealing with Garry - you'll get a great machine and he's an old skool good guy, Been on the scene since I have ...a long time ! Imagine if Gandalf was into pinball :D
I second that - bought my CFTBL from Garry - A very clean, well restored machine - outstanding packing and patient replies to my post purchase questions.

There is often a delay awaiting the best courier - Martin - so a deposit seems fair enough - and regular forum members are used to the slightly erratic, but always eventually reliable Martin.

I take back my comment about a scam you can't go wrong with Garry's machines.

Didn't have much to go off I'm afraid.

Anyone interested in a Funhouse 2.0? It is in very good condition and has had a lot of work on it, very clean.

[Edit]
... was a description by Rossco for a clunker of a machine.

Always check the photos carefully and ask for more if there aren't enough.

Last edited:
Hey @Grazdogster,

I covered purchases here in the guide I wrote at the start.
What a great guide. Will definitely be coming back to that. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom