What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulb not lit

idchappy

Registered
So, i have a bulb out on one of my targets and i thought i'd be brave and do my first fix.
Had a spare bulb kit, took out the 'dud' which looked ok then put in a similar bulb from the spares kit i got given, still not lighting though.
I take it i need to see if it's getting power?

If its one on a PCb, then flex its connector and see if it comes on. If so then reflow the solder joints on the PCb

Otherwise temporarily bridge the diode with a piece of wire, if it comes on then replace the duff diode.

If its one on a PCb, then flex its connector and see if it comes on. If so then reflow the solder joints on the PCb

Otherwise temporarily bridge the diode with a piece of wire, if it comes on then replace the duff diode.

Thanks man, it's on one of the lettered targets in the game, the bulbs on the targets beside it work, i think i'll try and swap them then i know it isn't the bulb.
I need a decent soldering iron too 👅

What game, and what target. If its on a PCb then try swapping the lamp sockets over. Could be dodgy socket.

It depends if its on a board, it might be dry solder joints around the bulb holder. Or the little metal "ears" for want of a better word might not be making a good contact with the bulb, they can be bent and adjusted. If its a bayonet style make sure the the little spring in the bottom is making a good connection with the bulb. It could also be a wire off somewhere.

Cool, i'll give it a good look at tomorrow, i had kids running about the garcade so couldn't go too much into it.
They like the pin though so ☮️

Crikey whilst I typed that, all those other posts arrived. Sorry for repatition. I must learn to type faster!!

Ok, so had another look at this tonight, swapped the bulb with a known working one beside it and still no dice.
It's on that wee pcb thing and it's in the middle, i presume the we tabs at the side of the bulb holder have to make a good contact with the solder on the pcb?
It looked ok TBH, so i think it's not getting the power.. where do i go from here?

Oh, and whilst playing today noticed a bit of rubber fly about, whilst looking at the bulb i traced it to this pin here:
Any idea's where i can get a new rubber cover thingy :redface:

IMG_1903-1.jpg

Those rubber bits are common post rubbers. Andy, The Legend, runs http://www.pinballmania.co.uk/ and was helping you earlier in this thread. Get a list of bits and send him a list as he has the best prices, quick term around and is a nice fellow.

Time to take that PCB off and look on the other side. Are those wires on a connector, do they come off? I don't recognise the set up. Take loads of pictures so it goes back together. :p

Bulb not working sounds like a duff diode. Use some wire to jump the diode and see if it lights.
PM sent.

Thanks for all the help guys much appreiciated, should have this one sorted soon :).
Just as a matter of interest, is there a way top hold the playfield up whilst working on it? i noticed a lever on the right hand side of the pin when i had the playfield up does it go into somewhere to hold the playfield up(looks similar to a car bonnet pole for holding up the bonnet when your working on the engine).

To the right of the bulb holder you see two solder spots. On the other side is a diode. If this goes bad, the lamp won't light. You can test this by shorting together these two spots with a piece of wire. If the bulb lights that confirms the diode is bad and needs replacing.

Thanks for all the help guys much appreiciated, should have this one sorted soon :).
Just as a matter of interest, is there a way top hold the playfield up whilst working on it? i noticed a lever on the right hand side of the pin when i had the playfield up does it go into somewhere to hold the playfield up(looks similar to a car bonnet pole for holding up the bonnet when your working on the engine).

Yes. There should be a corresponding slot for the support

But better way is to block the ball server with a piece of rag, then continue lifting the play field until it rests against the back box. This is a more stable position.

The rag stops the balls falling out.

Yes, you use the bar to prop up the table at a sensible angle or you should be able to put the table fully upright at 90o but REMOVE THE BALLS before you do either just in case.

The sound of a ball falling out and smashing some much liked plastics is heart breaking.:tsk:

i'm sure i saw somewhere you can buy a thing to stop them crashing down on lifting the playfield (WPC 90s games)?
i do the same as Andy said, i stuff a rag in there, but if anyone knows what i'm talking about ...... worth installing if cheap and easy?

Well, you got to start small in repairs, so tonight i changed tht rubber that was broken on one of the metal pins :thumb:.
Emm, anyone know where to get spare keys for a backbox? or just take out the lock? :redface:

Well, you got to start small in repairs, so tonight i changed tht rubber that was broken on one of the metal pins :thumb:.
Emm, anyone know where to get spare keys for a backbox? or just take out the lock? :redface:

Keys for your backbox, Check inside your coin door.

Back
Top Bottom