What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD broken wire

Pharo

Site Supporter
20150301_165955.jpg 201503~2.JPG Hi
Was playing bsd last night and I noticed ball plunger was triggering itself during the game and so was the castle release solenoid like every 5 seconds.
Went to have a game this morning switched it on and it started going nuts triggering everything so had a look underneath playfield and found this problem broken wire pictures below how do I go about fixing this and will I need a new connector if so what is it called.

Cheers again Brian

Hi
Thanks for that will try to take better pictures,any helpful hints on the best way to do this as I am quite new to this and my soldering skills are a lot be desired.

Cheers again Brian.

Ok Brian if you are no good on the soldering iron then bare back the wires and join with a block conector not the best rapair but will get you up and running again

Hi
I used a wee red connector to join the two wires now the problem I have is it saying check castle opto 1,2,3 checked opto on switch test 1 and 2 work as should 3 stays open,also castle release is still triggering itself every 5 seconds so is plunger was looking under playfield and saw a coil that has some thin copper wire wrapped around it and then soldered to the lug of coil is this the norm or could this be triggering the problems picture attached.

Any help would be great cheers in advance Brian. 20150305_172953.jpg

i would think you have a faulty opto somewhere and it thinks you have a ball in the lock hence why your coil is fireing the coil looks like a bodge but i dont think thats your problem

Hi Chris
Thanks for reply have checked all optos they all trigger in switch test bar castle opto 3 which stays open used my camera on phone to look at opto it looked purple on camera the same as the other castle optos can it still be faulty.

Cheers again Brian

Maybe the opto receiver? Try using anon-LED torch to see if you can trigger it. If not, see if there is voltage there at the receiver.

Hi
I know could do with help but I also need to learn which is the daunting bit might have to move out of Scotland :rofl:

Bought a new solder and desolder today to get me started will upload a picture in today I received thread.

Cheers again Brian.

Hi
Forgot to mention bsd has two homepin boards under playfield one for magnet and one for optos I think,both have their LEDs lit on them.

Cheers again Brian.

Hi Brian the camera trick is not always conclusive but it does sound like the transmiter is fine as dan said its more than likely the reciever your best bet is to buy a multimeter and test the voltage or just short it out but thats not a great test i am pretty sure this is your problem the other 2 opto boards under the playfield are your main opto board and the small one is for the mist ball opto

Hi Chris
Thanks for help multi-meter is on order along with some led and receiver optos also some switches and solder prepare yourself more questions to follow.:)

Cheers Brian.

Hi
Eventually got round to checking with a multimeter here are the results I got when opto 1 and 2 are closed I get a reading of 0.19 on both and when they are open I get a reading of 13.60 but on opto 3 it is always open even though there is no ball in it and I get a reading of 0.19 I gather this to be wrong so is it the receiver any help would be great.

Cheers again Brian.

Hi Chris
Thanks again looks as if the soldering iron will get used when de-soldering what temperature should the gun be at so not to knacker the board.

Cheers again Brian .

Hi
Got round to using my soldering iron today after about a week practicing on a DVD player,I still have a problem got some optos receiver and sender from pinball mania thanks Andy,took out opto 3 receiver as that was the one not working put the new one in still nothing thought it might be the wrong way round changed it still nothing took receiver out opto 2 put it in opto 3 still nothing so I put opto 3 the one I thought wasn't working into opto 2 and it worked shine a light on opto 1 and 2 and they trigger but 3 nothing and all 3 receivers work fine.

Any ideas about what my next step should be would be great,thanks in advance.

With my multimeter opto 3 stays the same blocked and unblocked but the other 2 don't opto 3 reads 0.19 all the time.

Cheers Brian

Hi
Another update about the problem with my bsd,today I did a continuity test on opto 3 I get it buzzing from opto to the opto board under the playfield after that nothing,unscrewed opto board and this is what it looks like underneath pics attached also added a pic where I get to on the board doing a continuity test
Haven't got a clue what to look for any help would be great.

Thanks again Brian 20150321_160033.jpg 20150321_155715.jpg 20150321_155701.jpg 20150321_155432.jpg

think you have answered your own question there has had a the lm 339 chips replaced at some time and that repair is not the best i have seen
might be a good idea to post and see if anybody has a spare one they want to sell

I did a continuity test on opto 3 I get it buzzing from opto to the opto board under the playfield after that nothing

I'd reflow the solder for the connector pin on the opto PCB for opto 3. Follow the trace on the PCB from the reflowed pin and check continuity up to the chip fix any faults found(!). Try the board again in the machine to see if the reflow/repair has done the trick. If not then see about replacing LM339 chip or buy another board and sell that one as not working...

LM339s are readily available and relatively cheap. I'd get a few new ones and some sockets if I were you, clean the board up and do a better job of the repair. If you've seen the board working it can't be that bad underneath. If you have a desoldering station its fairly easy to remove the chips whole, if not cut the legs on the chips and carefully remove the legs one at a time so not to damage the through holes on the board.

Hi
Thanks for your help my soldering skills are pretty bad but I have been practicing but I don't think they are good enough to reflow a trace or replace a chip yet,will see if anyone has a spare for sale,I see that homepin do a replacement board but they only have it in kit form at the moment but they do ones already assembled might have to wait for that.

Thanks again Brian

Hi
got my replacement 10 opto board delivered today from great lakes modular very fast delivery just been installed all problems solved game playing great thanks to everybody who gave me pointers and helped a newbie back playing pinball.

Cheers Brian.

Always good to know you got sorted., and more impimportantly back playing pinball.

Back
Top Bottom