What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadband providers

cr5000462

Registered
Alias
CR
Hi Folks,

My contract has come to an end with BT, which I Was actually happy with, I did struggle with WiFi in every room but that's another easily sorted story.

I rang BT, to ask them about pricing etc, trying to manage the payments with Covid impact and all that, for me to take up another contact and it was minimal discount, the person on the phone wasn't interested in keeping my custom, zero chat or help, no help in explaining things to me or offer other alternative products, cancelled my contract (I was out of contract anyway) my services were, bt sport and broadband will now end on the 15th.

Now, I am looking for another provider unfortunately, don't want to ring BT back up to have a chat with them as they just make me feel like I'm waisting there time and they can't get me off the phone quick enough, it was a literal 3minute conversation last time I spoke to BT, well done on trying to keep your customers 👍

Can anyone recommend a good broadband provider with fair pricing and good customer service? Looking for personal experiences not just looking at some comparison website

I have been with Plusnet for a number of years and they have always been good. Ironically they are owned by BT but I believe they are managed seperately (@Neil McRae would know all the facts) . Anyway, I get a good speed, good reliability, good price, reasonable customer service and tech support on the occasions I need it. I chuck away the rubbish router they give you when they join and bought a better one, plus a few TP-Link M5 Deco mesh WiFi pucks around the house and I get good wifi coverage everywhere. And you get a discount on BT Sport with Plusnet. Not as much as with BT I think, but its worth having.

I expect plenty of others will have recommendations for equally good ISPs - the key is to avoid the crap ones (like Talk Talk - I am looking at you Dido)

Have 2 connections to house, BT and Plusnet, Plusnet are always easier to get in contact with.

I’m in the look out for a decent not expensive fibre provider at the mo.

Is anyone with Jurassic fibre? They are currently installing all around Devon

I think it very much depends on what area you live in. I loathe dealing with Virgin Media as I keep getting dropouts, other people fine them ok though. BT speeds are a joke at my end of the street as they haven’t put the cables in, so I’m stuck with VM unless I want absolutely crap speeds. In the summer one of their genius engineers drove up. Randomly cut through our broadband cable and drove off. Took them a week to send someone out to repair it and their remote assistance kept telling. me there was nothing wrong 🤬

I think it very much depends on what area you live in. I loathe dealing with Virgin Media as I keep getting dropouts, other people fine them ok though. BT speeds are a joke at my end of the street as they haven’t put the cables in, so I’m stuck with VM unless I want absolutely crap speeds. In the summer one of their genius engineers drove up. Randomly cut through our broadband cable and drove off. Took them a week to send someone out to repair it and their remote assistance kept telling. me there was nothing wrong [emoji2959]

That sounds like a ball ache

Thought I’d double check the BT situation. Yup they are as on the ball as normal. It’s not like I live in inner London.

Attachments

• 28108F9B-91E5-4ED8-9D0D-57517F455E53.png
    28108F9B-91E5-4ED8-9D0D-57517F455E53.png
    44 KB · Views: 29
VM is made up of many legacy cable TV providers from the 1990s who all had different levels of quality.
The HFC network is still pumping out and new areas are FTTP.
But it does depend which legacy network you are on. The Core network is superb. Edge network is ageing so actively gets node splits to improve.

The network coped well last week with both an COD update and Amazon streaming football.

The traffic levels on top of the usual new normal is unreal.

I’m in the look out for a decent not expensive fibre provider at the mo.

Is anyone with Jurassic fibre? They are currently installing all around Devon
Hi @RudeDogg1

We're not with Jurassic (although Exeter based they're not looking to cable up in Exeter itself as lots of providers already in place and a very crowded market), but they do seem to be going great guns providing new infrastructure in more rural areas.

I do have a bias as they've been a very good customer of ours in recent months as they've expanded rapidly, but from what I've seen they seem to be a well put together and funded business that, so far, has done what they said they were going to do.

Two key things that have stuck out, which probably make them worth a try in your area which they've recently expanded into:

- They appear to be offering some keen deals to get new subscribers on board (as all companies do);
- I understand they offer rolling monthly contracts so if things don't work out and service not what you need you can exit the contract fairly quickly and revert to a more mainstream provided. That in itself ought to work in favour of offering a good service & resolving any issues.

Hi @RudeDogg1

We're not with Jurassic (although Exeter based they're not looking to cable up in Exeter itself as lots of providers already in place and a very crowded market), but they do seem to be going great guns providing new infrastructure in more rural areas.

I do have a bias as they've been a very good customer of ours in recent months as they've expanded rapidly, but from what I've seen they seem to be a well put together and funded business that, so far, has done what they said they were going to do.

Two key things that have stuck out, which probably make them worth a try in your area which they've recently expanded into:

- They appear to be offering some keen deals to get new subscribers on board (as all companies do);
- I understand they offer rolling monthly contracts so if things don't work out and service not what you need you can exit the contract fairly quickly and revert to a more mainstream provided. That in itself ought to work in favour of offering a good service & resolving any issues.

I’ve registered my interest with them for their current deal they were doing the cables right outside our front door the other day. So can’t be far off from going live

Back
Top Bottom