What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Bram Stokers Dracula -BSD Restoration

Before I crack on with the Playfield swap the last job to finish on the cabinet was to restore the lamp board.

First thing to do was to completely strip it down and get the wiring harness in the sonic cleaner as it was filthy.
IMG_7340.jpegIMG_7345.jpegIMG_7357.jpegIMG_7356.jpegIMG_7358.jpeg
The board itself was then sanded both sides, masked up ready for paintings
IMG_7360.jpegIMG_7361.jpegIMG_7362.jpeg
I used some matt white to paint the front and once dry, I like to seal the bare mdf on the rear of the panel as it stops any future dirt build up.
IMG_0856.jpeg
IMG_7363.jpeg
Whilst everything was drying, all the plastics and lamp connectors were cleaned in the ultra sonic do remove all the dirt before being dyed. I find that if they aren’t really clean before hand, the dye doesn’t take to the plastic very well.
IMG_7579.jpegIMG_7580.jpeg
Once everything was dry it was just a case then of putting it back to together.
I also had all cabinet metal work powder coated in a gloss black including the back box parts.
IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg
IMG_0911.jpeg
With the back box attached to the cabinet, I moved onto all the boards. Myself and @Happypin installed new bridge rectifiers to the power driver board and also recapped it. I also re-flowed all the connectors on each board.
The last job I still need to do is install some nvram to the mpu.
IMG_1425.jpeg
Final job was to add new fuse and FBI decals and install the sub and transformer.
IMG_1450.jpegIMG_1424.jpeg
IMG_1433.jpeg

Said it before and will say it again... You do some if not the best retro on the forum!

This is looking beautiful :)
Thanks mate. 👍🏻

It’s been a cool side project. Been working on it in between a few FTs. Struggling for space at the moment 🤔😂

Now that the cabinet is done, I moved onto the playfield swap.
First thing to do was to strip it all down, so that I could see what I’m dealing with.
IMG_9522.jpegIMG_9556.jpegIMG_9557.jpegIMG_9558.jpeg
IMG_9542.jpegIMG_9537.jpeg
IMG_9521.jpeg
IMG_9605.jpegIMG_9606.jpeg
I like to get all the posts into the tumbler as soon as possible, that way they will be ready for when I need them. I always like to use fresh media and generally leave them in there for a good 4-5 days.
IMG_9894.jpegIMG_9895.jpeg
With the mech assemblies now in the bench, I could take a good look at each component while I disassemble them to see if anything needs replacing.
IMG_9601.jpegIMG_9604.jpegIMG_9602.jpeg
Luckily there was only a pop bumper bracket that needed to be replaced. Looks like it had broken in the past and someone welded it back together.
IMG_9600.jpeg Before I send any metal work out for either plating or powder coating, I like to clean everything in the ultra sonic cleaner for 20 minutes, that way I know for sure that all the grease and dirt will definitely be removed and you get and better finish.
IMG_9613.jpegIMG_9626.jpeg
IMG_0013.jpegIMG_0014.jpegIMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_1401.jpeg

Is all that steel getting powder coated Ant ? Can I ask where do you send it ?

Cheers

Kev

Is all that steel getting powder coated Ant ? Can I ask where do you send it ?

Cheers

Kev
Yes, all the mechs etc will be powder coated. I take it to Aurora Powder Coaters in Aldershot.

I’m practically there weekly and the quality of there work is top notch.
They've recently done the armour on my Alien LV using some Prismatic Illusion Royal.

The playfield for this restore is a Mirco and looks really nice. However the owner has opted for a PF protector, plus I’m planning on doing a few things that should help prevent any potential issues to the clear coat.
IMG_0032.jpegIMG_0033.jpegIMG_0034.jpegIMG_0035.jpeg
The underside of Mirco Playfields never seem to be sealed and I find the bare wood can be easily marked/stained, so I always like seal it with a satin clear coat.

Once dry the new T-nuts are fitted next.
IMG_0036.jpegIMG_0039.jpegIMG_0081.jpeg
After that, the pop bumper nails followed by the bodies.
I wanted to use black pop bumper bodies but couldn’t find any available so I ended up painting my own.
IMG_0091.jpegIMG_0092.jpegF6E90CFD-6420-4EA1-98C9-7BFB546958BD.jpeg
Once the bodies are screwed down, the legs of the lamp sockets are stapled in place.
IMG_0113.jpeg
I’d usually now install the side rails for the playfield to help avoid warping but these are at the powder coaters.
So I moved onto cleaning all the PF lamp boards as they were filthy.
IMG_0194.jpegIMG_0195.jpegIMG_0197.jpeg
IMG_0203.jpeg
After 2 x 20 minute cycles in the sonic cleaner they come out like new. Once dry I’ll re-flow all the solder before fitting them onto the new playfield.
IMG_0205.jpegIMG_0204.jpeg
IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpegIMG_0189.jpeg
Wiring harnesses were next. It always surprises me how much grime comes off these.
I hang them up to dry outside then move them onto my radiators which really ****es the wife off 😬😂
IMG_0213.jpegIMG_0218.jpegIMG_0220.jpeg
Lamp boards didn’t take long to dry so I could re-install them along with the magnet plastics.
AA6AA257-1150-49A3-AD04-4266F0D19A26.jpeg
One thing that does need sorting out if installing a Mirco BSD playfield is the double opto bracket that goes on the right side (when looking at it on a rotisserie)

This is how it is on the original PF
IMG_0200.jpeg
This is how the Mirco PF comes
IMG_0198.jpeg
B047A16A-788E-4C57-AC14-FBC1FB8000A6.jpeg
Obviously it’s machined out for 2 single brackets in error as a wide bracket need to go in that position.

So I had to carefully cut the piece out with a sharpe chisel in order to fit the bracket.
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_0266.jpeg
The opto board will be replaced with a more reliable one from Homepin.

Last edited:
Yes, all the mechs etc will be powder coated. I take it to Aurora Powder Coaters in Aldershot.

I’m practically there weekly and the quality of there work is top notch.
They've recently done the armour on my Alien LV using some Prismatic Illusion Royal.

Wow !! that looks really smart Ant!!

I’ve been slowly chipping away on the BSD in between other projects.
I picked up the rest of the metal work from the powder coaters so I can crack on with rebuilding all the mechs.
IMG_1418.jpegIMG_1419.jpegIMG_1420.jpeg
But before doing that I tested all the coils to see if they were good and then gave them a bath in the ultra sonic to remove the 30 years of dirt and grime.
IMG_0722.jpegIMG_0723.jpegIMG_0724.jpeg
Whilst they’re drying, I made a start on the top side of the PF.
Being a Mirco PF, you have to be careful when installing parts to avoid chipping, especially around holes which I think is due to his manufacturing process.

I find the majority of post holes are always to small for the posts and need drilling out, which is where chipping can happen.
IMG_1391.jpegIMG_1392.jpeg
If using regular drill bits, it can catch the clear and chip it. So I basically grind the clear and hole out.
IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1387.jpeg
I then use another tool to make the top of the hole wide enough so that the threads are not in contact with the clear coat.
IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_1389.jpeg
IMG_1396.jpeg
The final stage is to seal the edges of the hole with some watered down super glue. This locks down the edges of the clear coat.
IMG_1390.jpeg
Once I’d done this to all the holes I could test fit the post.
IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg
At this stage I have not tightened down the star posts as there’s one final process to do to avoid the classic pooling underneath them.

Last edited:
From the Mirco playfields Ive installed and reading some of the feedback about GNR in regards to pooling under star posts I wanted to avoid that issue happening on this install.

So I thought I do a little experiment and see what would happen is I installed a star post. I choose an area that isn’t seen, which was one of the PF hanger holes located under the apron.
When fitting it, I didn’t clamp it down hard, I literally just gave it a pinch, then left it for just over a week.

After removing it, this is what I was left with 😮
IMG_0009.jpeg
Obviously I didn’t want that to happen all over the PF itself. One option was to use regular washers, but again I still think it would happen.
So in the end I used small stainless steel washers that has neoprene rubber on the bottom.
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4287.jpeg
These fit perfectly under the star posts
IMG_4288.jpeg
When you first install them they look really high but once you tightened them up, the neoprene compresses and flattens right down so that is the only thing in contact with the playfield. It is also completely hidden by the star post 👍🏻
IMG_4290.jpegIMG_4291.jpeg
Another little job I did was swap out the old flakey opto board for a new one. Hopefully this will save me some trouble later down the line.
IMG_1434.jpegIMG_1435.jpeg
I also made a start rebuilding the mechs. Got the pop bumpers and trough kicker done first but will crack on with the rest next.
IMG_1500.jpegIMG_1479.jpeg
IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpegIMG_1484.jpeg
IMG_1485.jpegIMG_1486.jpeg

Was wondering about that info: 'watered down super glue' .. what does it mean?-I read somewhere to use water thin super glue but it is really possible to thinnen standard viscosity super glue down to make it to flow like water? If so, what thinner do you use?

Was wondering about that info: 'watered down super glue' .. what does it mean?-I read somewhere to use water thin super glue but it is really possible to thinnen standard viscosity super glue down to make it to flow like water? If so, what thinner do you use?
Yes you basically just add a small amount of water to some super glue. No need to add thinners. You just add small amounts until the glue flows a lot easier.

When it comes to using it, I’d recommend using a needle or a small pipette as you don’t want to glue dripping on the clear coat.

I’ve been working on a few other projects most of last week but the mechs on BSD are all rebuilt and fitted onto the new playfield.

Before rebuilding them, I colour coded all the connectors as well as the plastic parts on the sling shot arms. I also polished the heads on all the screws/fixings.
All switches/optos were replaced as were any springs and sleeves , so they should be good for quite a while 👍🏻
IMG_2700.jpegIMG_2870.jpeg
IMG_1601.jpegIMG_1657.jpegIMG_1658.jpegIMG_1661.jpegIMG_1663.jpegIMG_1664.jpegIMG_1665.jpegIMG_2693.jpegIMG_2695.jpegIMG_2699.jpegIMG_2827.jpegIMG_2828.jpegIMG_2829.jpegIMG_2743.jpegIMG_2831.jpegIMG_2832.jpegIMG_2868.jpegIMG_2869.jpeg
The last one I rebuilt was the motor mech. I ended up dismantling the housing to re-grease the gears but I forgot to take some photos of the process . I then gave it a good polish and it was filthy and really tarnished.
IMG_2900.jpeg
Next job is to work on the wiring harness starting with the switch harness first.
IMG_3082.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom