What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Bram Stokers Dracula -BSD Restoration

Ant-H

Site Supporter
Ive had this Pin in my possession for over a year now waiting to be restored.

The owner is in no rush for it so I’ve been working on the game, on and off over the past few months, as a little side project whilst working on other restorations.

It came to me as a bit of an unfinished project pin and was partly dis-assembled both on the playfield and back-box. The plan when finished is to hopefully have a nice super minted BSD 😀.

IMG_5767.jpegIMG_5768.jpegIMG_6652.jpegIMG_6653.jpegIMG_6738.jpegIMG_6739.jpegIMG_6740.jpeg

Me three! This will be a peach when done! Looking forward to watching the progress. I know first hand how good Ant's work is.

First job was to strip the cabinet down so that I could see what needed to be done
IMG_6951.jpeg
The cabinet had been painted and re-decalled in the past but I was asked to remove it all so that I could fix anything that I felt needed doing and start again.
IMG_6954.jpegIMG_6953.jpegIMG_6956.jpeg
Luckily for me the decals pulled straight off without the need of my heat gun and scraper 😀
IMG_6959.jpegIMG_6960.jpegIMG_6961.jpegIMG_6962.jpeg
Next I wanted to go over the entire cabinet and back box and remove any old fixes/filler.
IMG_7014.jpeg
IMG_7020.jpegIMG_7022.jpegIMG_7023.jpegIMG_7021.jpeg
Once this was done I gave everything a sand with 120 grit so that I had a good base to start fixing all damage.
IMG_7025.jpegIMG_7027.jpegIMG_7026.jpegIMG_7029.jpeg
IMG_7032.jpeg
IMG_7017.jpeg

My first machine was a Dracula, great game,, looking forward to seeing this all done. Well done so far.

I had an idea to install some flush mounted under cabinet lighting on my TAF, but it was to late to start cutting up the cabinet at that stage so I thought I’d do it on the next project.

The plan is install regular led strip lighting but instead of sticking it to the bottom of the cabinet I want it to be flush with the base, so the first job was to router out 2 channels for the lighting strip to fit into.

IMG_7050.jpegIMG_7051.jpegIMG_7053.jpegIMG_7054.jpeg
Next I needed to square off the ends so the lighting bars would fit.
IMG_7055.jpegIMG_7056.jpeg
IMG_7057.jpeg
Once this was done the light bars fitted nice and snug but with another room for paint build up etc.
The wires will go straight into the cabinet and out of sight.
IMG_7058.jpegIMG_7059.jpeg
Whilst I had the router out, I sunk the playfield mounting bolts into the cabinet. I like to glue these in place with some epoxy to help stop them moving.
IMG_7060.jpegIMG_7091.jpeg
Ideally if doing this, I wouldn’t recommend regular filler to cover the bolt heads as it’s too brittle imo and can crack. If that happens your see the cracks under the decals once applied.
So to avoid this, I use fibre glass filler as it’s incredibly hard.
IMG_7100.jpeg
IMG_7104.jpeg
I use this same method to fill deep holes like these old security bar holes by the coin door.
Again to avoid cracking, I plug the hole first by gluing a wooden dowel in, making sure it’s not flush.
IMG_7301.jpegIMG_7302.jpeg
Once that’s dry, I use the fibre glass over the top followed by a skim coat of regular filler.
IMG_7308.jpegIMG_7324.jpeg

Last edited:
I like how Ant carries forward his ideas that he does on one pin and makes it better on his next. Great idea about the routed channels for the lights.

looking forward to following this one @Ant-H you do some of the best work on the forum now :)
Thanks mate. I’ve been working on this BSD on and off between other jobs.

Ive actually got a couple of FT’s in the workshop for full on restored as well so I’ll might start another build log on them as well.

I like how Ant carries forward his ideas that he does on one pin and makes it better on his next. Great idea about the routed channels for the lights.
That’s because I always seem to think of a idea half way through a restoration, when it’s to late to try out so I have to wait until the next project 😂

Not sure if you are doing full powder coating Ant? But I just thought i'd share this video I just saw with a full blood red powder coat. Looks very nice

Not sure if you are doing full powder coating Ant? But I just thought i'd share this video I just saw with a full blood red powder coat. Looks very nice

Thanks mate. Yes I’ve seen that video. I enjoy watching his restores.

For me, I’m not a fan of that shade of red on a BSD as imo it classes with the bright red of the Dracula logo on the decals.

But I’ve also seen a few where the powder coating matched that red on the decals and I wasn’t keen either as it was too bright for a gothic style game.

Thanks mate. Yes I’ve seen that video. I enjoy watching his restores.

For me, I’m not a fan of that shade of red on a BSD as imo it classes with the bright red of the Dracula logo on the decals.

But I’ve also seen a few where the powder coating matched that red on the decals and I wasn’t keen either as it was too bright for a gothic style game.
I agree the mismatch of reds isn't the best and I'm also with you on the brightness of the red in the decals being too bright.

So what colour are you thinking? or is it just staying original? Either way i'm sure it will look stunning when you're done Ant 👍

I agree the mismatch of reds isn't the best and I'm also with you on the brightness of the red in the decals being too bright.

So what colour are you thinking? or is it just staying original? Either way i'm sure it will look stunning when you're done Ant 👍
I’m probably going to stick to the gothic theme so might go for black 🤔

I got the cabinet and back box fully prepped and ready for primer.
All the seems on the back box have been filled and blended in so there will be no joins when painted.
All corners were also rebuilt and are now nice and straight.
IMG_7326.jpeg
IMG_7327.jpegIMG_7331.jpegIMG_7332.jpegIMG_7333.jpegIMG_7329.jpegIMG_7330.jpeg
I usually start with 120, followed by 240, 400 and lastly 600 grit. I do this to the entire cabinet, both inside and out. The reason I like to do that is I feel you get a much better finish once the paint has been applied, especially on the interior of the cabinet.
IMG_7510.jpeg
Because the underside of the cabinet has already been painted, ill paint it again, so I could use some filler to fix any damage, which I wouldn’t usually do if it was to be left as bare wood.
IMG_7509.jpegIMG_7508.jpeg
The first stage primer I like to use is a grey filler primer. Everything gets 2 coats of this. Before I do this though, I wiped everything down with a tac cloth followed by some panel prep to remove any grease that can react with the paint.
IMG_7514.jpegIMG_7511.jpeg
Imo this is an important stage, as when you fill a cabinet and rub your hand over it, it might feel silky smooth. However your finger tips will not pick up minor imperfection but when the decals are applied, they definitely will and by then it’s too late.
I learnt this the hard way when I restored an arcade cab a few years ago 😭

This primer fills any tiny holes in the wood but more importantly highlights any areas that need more attention, especially those areas that have had a lot of work done to them, like the corners.
Once these are rectified, I spray only these areas again with some beige high build primer (rattle can) which gives you a final visual confirmation that these areas are now spot on.
IMG_7516.jpegIMG_7515.jpegIMG_7518.jpegIMG_8068.jpegIMG_7547.jpegIMG_7546.jpegIMG_7545.jpegIMG_7544.jpeg

IMG_7545.jpegIMG_7544.jpegIMG_7543.jpegIMG_7542.jpegIMG_8069.jpeg
For the transformer, I used a wire wheel in a drill to remove all the rust, then this gets a coat of primer as well.
IMG_7519.jpeg

F*#k me you are next level for detail, absolutely amazing!
Is it the same approach when decorating the house? 😂

After I went over the cabinet/back box and filled any areas that I wasn’t happy with, I rubbed everything down with 600 grit sand paper so it was ready for paint.

I use thinned down black in a spray gun as I find the application and finish is a lot nicer. Plus I find it’s cheaper that buying loads of rattle cans.
IMG_8072.jpeg
Before I lay down the first coat, I use compressed air to blow out any hidden dust, followed by a good hoover. It all then gets wiped down with a tack cloth and finally panel wipe. That ensures the finish is as good as I can get it without being in a professional spray booth.

For me, this is important especially for the back of the back box and cabinet as any marks or dust will be visible.
IMG_8073.jpegIMG_8078.jpegIMG_8079.jpegIMG_8074.jpegIMG_8077.jpegIMG_8075.jpegIMG_8080.jpegIMG_8081.jpegIMG_8082.jpegIMG_8087.jpegIMG_8486.jpegIMG_8488.jpegIMG_8487.jpeg

That ensures the finish is as good as I can get it without being in a professional spray booth.

Hey Ant, where do you do the painting.. do you have a tent/tarp setup or is this just done outside? Looking fantastic as usual :thumbs:

Nice and smooth. what air compressor gear are you using? I’m thinking of swapping away from cans, and have no experience of painting systems, so any advice gratefully received.

After I went over the cabinet/back box and filled any areas that I wasn’t happy with, I rubbed everything down with 600 grit sand paper so it was ready for paint.

I use thinned down black in a spray gun as I find the application and finish is a lot nicer. Plus I find it’s cheaper that buying loads of rattle cans.
View attachment 244464
Before I lay down the first coat, I use compressed air to blow out any hidden dust, followed by a good hoover. It all then gets wiped down with a tack cloth and finally panel wipe. That ensures the finish is as good as I can get it without being in a professional spray booth.

For me, this is important especially for the back of the back box and cabinet as any marks or dust will be visible.
View attachment 244465View attachment 244469View attachment 244470View attachment 244466View attachment 244468View attachment 244467View attachment 244471View attachment 244472View attachment 244473View attachment 244474View attachment 244475View attachment 244476View attachment 244477
You can’t knock that … it’s as smooth as a babies bum that ! Great work as always

Hey Ant, where do you do the painting.. do you have a tent/tarp setup or is this just done outside? Looking fantastic as usual :thumbs:
Thanks mate. No I don’t have a tent, it’s all done outside, which is a pain in the **** due to the weather and in the summer months when it’s good, you then have to deal with bugs landing on the paint as it’s drying.

If I had a bigger workshop, I’d definitely want a separate spray booth inside.

Reactions: Max
Nice and smooth. what air compressor gear are you using? I’m thinking of swapping away from cans, and have no experience of painting systems, so any advice gratefully received.
I’ve got a SGS 100 litre direct drive air compressor. You can use smaller ones for spraying, they will just go off more.

You want to look at CFM on compressors. My one is 14.6cfm which if I remember correctly it good for spraying as well as other air tools which I also use.

In regards to spray guns, you can spend hundreds on them but I like to use Sealy gravity spray guns which are readily available on Amazon and are pretty cheap.

I use one with a 1.3mm nozzle for top coats and one with a 1.8mm nozzle when doing the priming. I also prefer to add air regulators to each gun as well as you get a lot better control or the airflow, but you don’t have to use them.

You can also add a filter to the air line to help remove moisture from the air that builds up in the compressor, but again you don’t have to.

I’ve got a SGS 100 litre direct drive air compressor. You can use smaller ones for spraying, they will just go off more.

You want to look at CFM on compressors. My one is 14.6cfm which if I remember correctly it good for spraying as well as other air tools which I also use.

In regards to spray guns, you can spend hundreds on them but I like to use Sealy gravity spray guns which are readily available on Amazon and are pretty cheap.

I use one with a 1.3mm nozzle for top coats and one with a 1.8mm nozzle when doing the priming. I also prefer to add air regulators to each gun as well as you get a lot better control or the airflow, but you don’t have to use them.

You can also add a filter to the air line to help remove moisture from the air that builds up in the compressor, but again you don’t have to.
Hi Ant, thank for this - I found the SGS 100 whilst googling the other day - their website seemed to have some good advice too, so nice to know that's what you are using.

Hi Ant, thank for this - I found the SGS 100 whilst googling the other day - their website seemed to have some good advice too, so nice to know that's what you are using.
No problem. I’m happy with it. It’s pretty good value and I’ve had no issues with it at all.

Next job to tackle was installing the decals. These came from Mr Pinball in Australia and I found them really nice to apply and were good quality.

First thing was to wet sand all areas where the decals will be applied with some 1200 grit sandpaper, to knock of any dust particles and to get a smooth finish.
IMG_9286.jpegIMG_9294.jpeg
Next I lined up the decals and used a wet method to apply them, after I give everything a final wipe down with a tack cloth followed by panel wipe.
IMG_9287.jpegIMG_9296.jpeg0BDB5146-89BD-4A24-A1D3-EEE490AAAA39.jpeg
For me, I generally like to leave the decals to settle for a day or 2 before moving onto the screen printing, which is a job I don’t particularly like doing 😂
IMG_1372.jpegIMG_0249.jpegIMG_1492.jpegIMG_1493.jpeg
Depending on the temperature, I find the ink usually is fully drys after a couple of days. I can then install new Earth braiding to both the back box and cabinet.
IMG_0845.jpegIMG_0847.jpeg
963D03B0-ABF2-48D4-B22B-6826155CBD22.jpeg
Next thing to do is to restore the lamp board for the back box and to start on the playfield 👍

Back
Top Bottom