What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black rose flash lamp issue

newdos

Site Supporter
Alias
Newdos
Hi Guys,

refurbing a Rosie for a friend on here and got a weird issue with one flashlamp. Its bang in the middle of the backbox and soon as you power up the lamp is on all the time. I have to remove the lamp quick as it starts to burn.

Looking at the WPC schemtic the lamp is connected to pin5 of J132 which is also in turn linked to pin of J130 - which is the outhole ball kicker which works fine. My question is this if they are linked together how does the solenoid work fine but the flashlamp is locked on all the time ???

Its got me baffled

here is the schematic with the relevant bits ringed

Cheers

kev

EDIT I might add when I got it this lamp socket didnt have a flashlamp in - now I think I know why !!!! Also voltages on this flashlamp socket are weird - pin5 wire (which is the switch to ground wire done by Q76) measures 50v DC to ground the other flashlamp wire(red) measures the normal 20V DC to ground - still dont get how the outhole solenoid isnt locked on.????

1571592802761.png

Attachments

• 1571592297822.png
    1571592297822.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
according to this Q80 is the outhole on J130
Looks like all flashers are on J123, J125 and J126.

I would go thru every connector on the power driver board, as a couple you can get in the wrong place. Also if the key pins are missing that can cause something plugged into an incorrect header.

It may be something completely daft :) Like me.

Find what this flashbulb is called, and check its wiring. The combination of Q 75 & 76 is a 'High Power' driver circuit, and unlikely to ever be used for a flash bulb.

It is deffo on j132 it’s in the manual as flash lamp on insert and that pic above is from the epic schematic for the driver board???? I will send the pic from the manual later
Has me stumped as well!!!!

It is deffo on j132 it’s in the manual as flash lamp on insert and that pic above is from the epic schematic for the driver board???? I will send the pic from the manual later
Has me stumped as well!!!!
here are the 2 'special' ones - one of them is red for the cannon on the backglass which works fine the other is the one that is stuck on in the midle of the backglass ???

anyone any ideas ????

1571666320888.png

maybe a trapped wire to earth
Disconnect the connector that trigger s it put a bulb in and see if it’s still locked on the you can at least narrow it down to wiring or board
Thanks Chris but already done that as soon as I remove j132 it goes off that’s why I’m baffled just how can the outhole solenoid work ok???

It could be a mistake in the manual - hear me out....

Remove J132 and plug it in at J124.

I believe those two are keyed the same......
Yeah sorry I did mean it is paralleled with j130 pin5 which is the ball release so guess it is supposed to flash as that triggers

It could be a mistake in the manual - hear me out....

Remove J132 and plug it in at J124.

I believe those two are keyed the same......
Confused by this man!!! - why would I do this yes they are keyed the same which means nothing - they are completely different circuits - see below

J123 is the same as J124 so this means the flashlamp would then be hooked up Sol 28 which is the right sword flasher and the red cannon flasher insert would be linked to the cannon flasher on the playfield - whcih sort of sounds right!!!

but even more weirdly the cable loom going to j132 has a factory printed label on it saying J132 !!!! do you think this has been wrong since it was fitted in factory then ???

Suppose it then asks the question why is J132 listed in the rosie manual for this cable, and J124 is not used - manual wrong again I guess ????

Cheers

kev

1571728625552.png

1571728644022.png

Reading this PinWIki I think you may be right looks like the rosie manual is wrong as is the wiring loom labellede J132 !!!! It does seem to make sense - will try it when I get home from work.

Thanks for the point in right direction @Pick Holder wouldn't be the first time I have had a manual totally wrong !!

Looks like WCS has had similar issues - see below

1571729629032.png

Cheers

kev

Why would you do this !?
Nearly 20 years of experience perhaps ?? :)
Found a lot more info on pinside and yes the manual is wrong and it has caught a lot of people out!!

even worse when the cable has a plastic tag on it wrong as well !!

Thanks again.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom