What's new

Big Guns - Williams System 11 - random lock ups

Thanks @Ruaraidh Yep I need a #A-10821 by the looks of it as in your picture, just did an order on Monday from Marco too :rolleyes:. Do you have one could buy of you by any chance with the screws or do you know the screw type ?

Thanks @Ruaraidh Yep I need a #A-10821 by the looks of it as in your picture, just did an order on Monday from Marco too :rolleyes:. Do you have one could buy of you by any chance with the screws or do you know the screw type ?

I might have one Phil though not sure if it was WMS or Data East - will have a look later today.

I might have one Phil though not sure if it was WMS or Data East - will have a look later today.
Also, I see in a previous post in the thread I note that I replaced all flipper coil diodes. I can’t believe I would have missed that end stop being missing - even my eyesight is not that bad!

That's the spring end (the bit that is on there) for the stop end, you need one like this:

View attachment 238911
I was right, I do have an end stop in my toolbox Phil. I think it’s Stern as there’s a brand new Stern coil in the box with it (Lord knows where I picked them up from!) but looks like the one in the earlier photo.

I’ll stick it in the post for you today.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
That would be great @Andy B, Thank You. I looked over the underside of the playfield a few times and missed it, was only when I heard the coil sleeve fall out I noticed :D

Does anyone know or had experience of the System 11 6802/08 CPUs crashing after the machine has been on for a while or maybe the Ram chips. I would of thought Ram failure would be more possible.

I can`t get my head around that sometimes the displays garble then clear on the next game as though the data in the Ram is being corrupted then cleared for a new game if this is how it works, the NVram does lose the settings sometimes.

The CPUs came from the old acid damaged board of course.

I am trying to carry on from @Andy B but im find I am going over what has already been checked.

I have my High Speed but I not keen on putting the Rotten Dog in there to test :)

The only option I can see is to get a MPU from @dumbass on Pinside he sells new built replacements but they are $600 :oops:

Last edited:
Does anyone know or had experience of the System 11 6802/08 CPUs crashing after the machine has been on for a while or maybe the Ram chips. I would of thought Ram failure would be more possible.

I can`t get my head around that sometimes the displays garble then clear on the next game as though the data in the Ram is being corrupted then cleared for a new game if this is how it works, the NVram does lose the settings sometimes.

The CPUs came from the old acid damaged board of course.

I am trying to carry on from @Andy B but im find I am going over what has already been checked.

I have my High Speed but I not keen on putting the Rotten Dog in there to test :)

The only option I can see it to get a MPU from @dumbass on Pinside he sells new new built replacements but they are $600 :oops:
His boards are top notch though... Just get a board, order the parts and build it yourself :)

My thoughts are that this is a faulty rottendog mpu board. only way you will know if by swapping it out for a different mpu.

His boards are top notch though... Just get a board, order the parts and build it yourself :)

Yep I think I might go along with that and order 1 in the meantime, the board is $100 I'm not afraid of building it as long as the parts are obtainable in the UK easily enough. I'm thinking I could try some different CPUs and NVRAM in the RD as I could use the NVRam at least on one of my other pins.

The CPUs look cheap enough

Yep @Andy B had already fitted it along with a RD PSU. I believe the only items you add is the ROMS & The CPUs.
I didnt swap any chips over from old board in to new one Phil. Paid extra for the board with new processor and roms included.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.png
    IMG_1556.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks @Andy B that saves me messing with those :). Did you ever ask the Pinball Palace for any help/info though its not like a normal purchase of course where you would expect support.

w8 and w9 is a head scratcher seems to be to select system 9 or 11 but every board I have seen images has 2 resistors with 1 to remove.

Last edited:
Thanks @Andy B that saves me messing with those :). Did you ever ask the Pinball Palace for any help/info though its not like a normal purchase of course where you would expect support.

w8 and w9 is a head scratcher seems to be to select system 9 or 11 but every board I have seen images has 2 resistors with 1 to remove.
No, I didn’t contact Sean other than to return the Banzai Run roms he had installed in the board by mistake when I got it 😊

Back
Top Bottom