What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware fake Chinese 78H05 5V 5amp regulators

Zaccaria Keith

Site Supporter
Alias
Keith Withnall
The 5amp TO3 packaged 5V regulators ( LM78H05K or UA78H05 ) are used on a lot of pinball power supply boards but have been obsolete for some time and NOS units are typically around £20 each if you can find them. I recently bought some on ebay from a Chinese seller at a price that seemed too good to be true - and it was! I fitted one to a board and thought it best to load it up before connecting it to a machine. It measured fine off load and up to about 1amp before dying. The reason is obvious when I cut it open and compared it with a (dead) real one.

86282 86284 86283

The one on the left is a genuine 5amp device which is fabricated from a controller chip with an external power transistor. The one on the right is the Chinese fake which has about 5% of the chip area of the real one and tiny bonding wires that have fused at about 1amp. I think the large blue glass insulators may be an easy way to spot a fake as they don't leave enough area in the package for the correct size of die. The genuine one also has a thicker base where the die sits and this is visible on the underside of the package.

I have ordered some of these high efficiency 5A switched-mode replacement devices and will update this post when I have had chance to test them, but they have to come from the States:
https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/featured-products-list-home-page/psu7.html#.XPKkPv57mUk
Their 3amp devices have had good reviews so I am hopeful that these will make a reliable replacement.

When you are getting prices come back from RS on these at about £30 - something has to give. The usual suspects however must have good supply lines as their kits are very reasonably priced.

Back
Top Bottom