What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battlefield drop target bank problem

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
After putting a load of games on the Shadow over the weekend the 4 bank drops at the back of the Battlefield have stopped resetting after they've been knocked down. When I first turn the machine on they are reset but then you can hear the mech trying to push them up another 3 or 4 times like it doesn't realise they're up already. During gameplay, when you knock them down, they don't reset like it doesn't realise they're down.

This made me think dodgy opto so I had a quick look underneath tonight to see if there was anything obvious. In switch test, 3 of them register but opto 3 doesn't when i use a bit of card to trigger them. I also noticed that jiggling the wires going into the connector on the opto board seemed to trigger some switches as well. Does this sound like a knackered opto or a dodgy connector (or both)? It was working fine on Friday and during Saturday but started playing up yesterday evening (don't know if this helps identify what the cause of the problem could be).

I'll try the camera test tomorrow on the optos to see if that shows anything as well.

My knackered opto issues has the opto's firing other switches but when ever the opto was activated. From the switch matrix, are the other switches connected via a row or column?

I did find that some opto's worked without problems but one or two were the cause of the nuisance. Check if the opto board is already socketed, if it is then changing the chips will be cheap/simple but all my experience is from my one machine.

Bit more info on this, I had a look at the opto's with a camera and I think they're ok. It's a bit tricky to see them on the game as they're the drop target type and there's a load of stuff in the way but I'm pretty sure opto 3 that isn't registering in switch test has the same blue light showing as opto 4 (which is working).

I'm thinking the connector could be the cause of my problems which could also explain why it was working then after a load of games it's not. Maybe something has come loose through driving it back and then putting some plays on it. I'll start with reflowing the solder on the board and then replacing the connector and see what happens.

I'm struggling to resist the temptation of stripping it down and shopping it so that might start this week
biggrin-1.png

Taking the mini playfield off is no big job and it will let you to see what the problem is more easily.

Better to get it fixed before the big strip down.

Battlefield is fixed
smile-1.png
as suggested I took out the mini pf and it turns out it's the connector that was a bit loose. I've made it a bit more stable and reseated all of the connectors and everything is working again. I'll probably replace the connector when I strip it down to be 100% sure but she's all good for now.

Result.

Good to know you have it sorted.

Now its just a few more games before the strip down, or loads more games.
rolleyes-1.gif

Now its just a few more games before the strip down, or loads more games

Loads more games, I'm loving the Shadow
biggrin-1.png
An awesome game and got that "just one more game" factor....plus it's bloody hard! Might have something else coming next week that might need to go to the top of the list for getting shopped as well
smile-1.png

ronsplooter' date=' post: 1695871 said:
Loads more games, I'm loving the Shadow
biggrin-1.png
An awesome game and got that "just one more game" factor....plus it's bloody hard! Might have something else coming next week that might need to go to the top of the list for getting shopped as well
smile-1.png

Ooooorrrr, Do tell.:cool:

nooooooo ....Red and Ted made homeless for a bunch of trekkies ...the inhumanity of it

biggrin-1.png
I have started to rotate pins out quite regularly. They're like Pokemon......gotta catch em all!

Back
Top Bottom