What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally flipper crank hold problem.

Martin.D

Registered
Alias
No-Clu
Having problem with crank holding flippers on Bally Mr & Mrs pacman.
Adjusted flippers recently, but when I flip they are slowly moving out of position.

Not sure if need more torque when screwing them in or 2 points of contact not helping.

Note screws (enclosed picture) but not ones showen in stock part below.

Was think maybe filing down tip to allow more contact with flipper shaft. Flipper shafts do not look damaged.
But are there any beter ways to fix this problem maybe better screws?

IMG_0771.JPG

CrankInsert.jpg

Swap the flipper bats left for right so the screw is In a different location and retry. Ideally swap tailored grub screws for pointed ones but once tightened they pretty much won't stay in another position.

they are usually not tight enough if the bat moves out of position,remember they are an imperial size not metric,so make sure you use the correct allen key

I had this on one flipper on my EBD. The grub screws would come completely loose every 2 to 3 days and would flap about
I used BLUE threadlock (Loctite 248) on the grub screws and it has been fine since, so I did the others 2 with it as well, even though they had no problem staying tight.
The beauty of the blue version is that it can still be undone with an allen key. The red has to be heated up quite a bit to break it down (not what you want to be doing under a wooden playfield.
I got it last year for about £7 for a Pritt stick sized tube at Halfords. The Loctite 248 is a gel ( I normally get the liquid version everywhere when I use it), so just put your grub screw on your allen key and roll the threads in it. Screw it in and let it set. I just left mine for 24 hours so that it was at full strength.

Attachments

• Threadlock.jpg
    Threadlock.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
I have heard of people using nail varnish before instead of threadlock,never tried it myself but apparently it works

Had this problem recently and found it wasn't the grub screw but slight play in the flipper shaft, the round section with the grub screws is pressed on to the arm and it slips after a certain amount of wear...!

just tighten them up and there is usually two ? the two work together to put in opposing force to hold the shaft very firm.

Yep have 2 screws per flipper, seems I might need a bit more force when screwing them in.

I had this on one flipper on my EBD. The grub screws would come completely loose every 2 to 3 days and would flap about
I used BLUE threadlock (Loctite 248) on the grub screws and it has been fine since, so I did the others 2 with it as well, even though they had no problem staying tight.
The beauty of the blue version is that it can still be undone with an allen key. The red has to be heated up quite a bit to break it down (not what you want to be doing under a wooden playfield.
I got it last year for about £7 for a Pritt stick sized tube at Halfords. The Loctite 248 is a gel ( I normally get the liquid version everywhere when I use it), so just put your grub screw on your allen key and roll the threads in it. Screw it in and let it set. I just left mine for 24 hours so that it was at full strength.
Thanks will look into this.
Have heard of problem with screws coming loose, but not sure I used enough force screwing them in.
Last thing I wanted to do was strip hex or threads. Not sure I can but new screws on there own.

Last edited:
I use Loctite 243 (also blue) myself, larger 50ml bottle rather than the 10ml.

Back
Top Bottom