What's new

Backbox LED thoughts/recommendations

MajesticPinball

Site Supporter
Alias
James Reed
I’m looking to finally upgrade my backboxes to LED’s. Previously when restoring my games I’ve always just stuck with incandescent bulbs in the back but the excess heat is getting me as i want my boards to be under the least amount of stress as possible. Anyhow, I’m not lookin for any rainbow backglasses i just want something that mimicks the look of the old bulbs.

I’ve always used Premium 2xSMD bulbs for my GI lighting and love the look but they tend to leave big glowing spots on the backglasses and translites.
EAFD0363-71C0-4DF4-BC73-311A1749EDA6.jpeg

Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated :)

Frosted ones are a lot better but still have them glowing spots ,or you could fit LEDs strips instead !

Or you could use LED strips on a custom board for the backbox lighting... others here have done it successfully (however i cant find the thread at the moment tho i know it's there somewhere!

I only use frosted LED's in all my games. I have just completed a Fish Tales and almost done a Last Action Hero. Certainly enhances the look of the game and less stress on the GI circuit.

I would not recommend the premium SMD bulbs for a backbox as I've had real mixture of results. Some cause that spotting effect that others have already mentioned really badly, others look absolutely fine.

I tend to use frosted or cool white in the appropriate places. Maybe a coloured one where appropriate. These ones for the backbox.

DEI5Uu5i7OxwNYGeQXTbqNk_CWE.png

Either the Comet ones recommended above or give @PinballDaze a shout and see if he's got any of the frosted dome tops in stock. I bought a hundred of these a while back and they're great :thumbs:

Thanks everyone, I’m going to try and get a mix of frosted and the comet sunlight frosted bulbs and see what looks good!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom