What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arcade 1Up machines. Good? Bad?

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Does anyone have any Arcade 1Up machines? I quite fancy a Dragons Lair but have heard very mixed things about them. What do you guys think of them?

Does anyone have any Arcade 1Up machines? I quite fancy a Dragons Lair but have heard very mixed things about them. What do you guys think of them?
There ok, the sticks/ buttons are a bit rubbish, but these can be changed if you desire. Played turtles and some display models, mortal Kombat, street fighter.

Good for themes that are harder to replicate such as outrun ,star wars that have unique interfaces.

Ive got the Dragons Lair one and quite like it, it can bit a bit finicky to do with credits and attract screen if youve played a game I think but I tend to just turn on and play so not too bothered about that.

I would avoid the virtual pin, had one for 6 months one of the solenoids failed and the motherboard blew and they said they didnt have any replacements so it got returned for a refund, replacement PCB turned up a couple of months later. It did play quite well when it worked though,

Hey mate ... they definitely fill a gap , so DL for example it scratches the itch at a very low lay out , and also it works all the time can't imagine the stress of keeping a DL running and it has the bonus of having space ace and DL2 as well .
The lCD score bit on DL is a nice touch as well and I reckon the more titles they do the better they will get.
Another way I would describe 1up is like having a fake Rolex or Changing the badge on the back of your car , you know and feel a bit dirty but no one else does 😂
You can buy my DL if you want it's served it's time , as in it's been in my collection for two months , what's app me if you want it
Found some random pics on the phone

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpeg
    IMG_0001.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8098.jpeg
    IMG_8098.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8091.jpeg
    IMG_8091.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8095.jpeg
    IMG_8095.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 69
I think they're OK. I've got the Pac-man. It's nicely done with smart decals, reasonable sound, good graphics. When lit up, the lit marquee is rubbish though, with uneven lighting and shadows of the wiring visible behind the perspex. I disconnected it and it looks just fine.

But the cabs are weak and can break if flexed, my cab was flexing a lot with excited joystick movements. I reinforced it by fixing more MDF inside it, which wasn't difficult, now it's fine.

I have a ridge racer and a star wars. Star wars is decent and yoke feels great. I’ve modified mine so it now has pedals and over 100 driving games and other stuff that work well with the yoke - paperboy etc (mod was really expensive though - came from Canada so vat added too).
Ridge racer wheel and feedback is good but pedals are flimsy. I added pedal covers to it though which helped a lot. Also had a street fighter 1up in the past. Joysticks and buttons were not great so hadoukens were not as easy to do as they are on a proper old jamma cab. I would buy an old school jamma cab before a 1up SF2 and just fire a pandoras box into it but for stuff like Star Wars then its a viable alternative to splashing out 4k on an actual original star wars cab.

Hey mate ... they definitely fill a gap , so DL for example it scratches the itch at a very low lay out , and also it works all the time can't imagine the stress of keeping a DL running and it has the bonus of having space ace and DL2 as well .
The lCD score bit on DL is a nice touch as well and I reckon the more titles they do the better they will get.
Another way I would describe 1up is like having a fake Rolex or Changing the badge on the back of your car , you know and feel a bit dirty but no one else does 😂
You can buy my DL if you want it's served it's time , as in it's been in my collection for two months , what's app me if you want it
Found some random pics on the phone

Cheers Will, I'll give you a buzz soon mate

can't imagine the stress of keeping a DL running and it has the bonus of having space ace and DL2 as well .
With the swap of a Sony Lasermax and conversion card they're OK. I couldn't get past a LCD in a cabinet myself, I'd swap in a old TV CRT.
Roadblasters upright too, a fun title!

I've had the MK 30th anniversary edition for over a year, the worst part was the washed out horrible screen so I changed that out for an equivalent 5:4 monitor.
Now have a RasPi in there with a batocera image to play other things, Metal Slug series and Neo Turf Masters are the only things I'll actually stop and play for a while.
Everything else is a short novelty, me and Leah played Simpsons arcade until completion when I first converted it.... much shorter game when it's not munching through your 25p credits.

oh also for a flat pack assembly this version is pretty solid, I don't think the earlier iterations were quite the same based on the negative build comments on the first couple of gens.

With the swap of a Sony Lasermax and conversion card they're OK. I couldn't get past a LCD in a cabinet myself, I'd swap in a old TV CRT.
Roadblasters upright too, a fun title!
And there's dexter now as well to replace the Laserdsic player.

I think the LCD in the 1UP is pretty good, they've sorted the interlation out as well in the video so no dodgy lines on the edges of objects.

I too have the Star Wars arcade1up, it's decent and as Jason mentioned the original cab and yoke controller are expensive and unlike anything else, I would recommend it if it came up on a sale.

I also picked up one of the bezel mods found on etsy, again expensive for a bit of flimsy plastic but it does make a big visual difference to the unit.

I have an Atgames legends ultimate its a decent full size cabinet with 24" screen and comes with 300 games already on it but the main reason i went for it is because its very easy to install CoinopsX on it and then run all thousands of arcade games through it.
I also have the Bitlcd Marquee on mine which looks brilliant as it changes to match the game you are playing, it also has an HDMI input so you can run your old Nintendo Wii or PS3 on it and if you have a steam deck or the new Legion Go hooking one of those up like i do running Batocera is brilliant.

I’d strongly advise against these.

Controls are ****, LCDs look terrible with old games, and these have horrible lag. If you actually want to play the games seriously,look elsewhere. For a 5 minute blast for a casual they might be alright I guess.

It’s not quite vpin v real game but it is the arcade equivalent.

My advise would be to get a Jamma cab and mame / MiSTer it. I have a Jamma cab I bought in the 90s. Apart from a monitor service about 20 years ago, it’s never missed a beat and probably gets played every other day at least.

Just buy dragons lair trilogy for £16.99 on ps4 and be done with it; video quality is great 👍🏻
1UP Outrun cab I'd love though, as in addition to the Outrun games (no outrun 2:-( ) it has Powerdrift on there.

I’d strongly advise against these.

Controls are ****, LCDs look terrible with old games, and these have horrible lag. If you actually want to play the games seriously,look elsewhere. For a 5 minute blast for a casual they might be alright I guess.

It’s not quite vpin v real game but it is the arcade equivalent.

My advise would be to get a Jamma cab and mame / MiSTer it. I have a Jamma cab I bought in the 90s. Apart from a monitor service about 20 years ago, it’s never missed a beat and probably gets played every other day at least.

This 100% complete ****, everything feels cheap about them just get a old chippy jamma cab for half the price and stick a pi etc on it.. These are awful

Back
Top Bottom