What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold Apollo 13

cooldan

i like pizza
for sale, Sega's Apollo 13 pinball machine. i had this since Sep2013, bought from another pinhead on this forum i think, or coulda been on the yahoo group. this machine has more pinballs in it than any other, next most is Stern IJ with a mere 8. so if you want a game with a ridiculous excess of metal balls in it, either get a pachinko, or consider this, as you don't see too many in the wilds. it has a video mode where you have to land a ship on a flat surface that reminds me of some game from the 80s but i can't remember what it was.

good points: nice playfield with no visible damage and covered all over with mylar; most plastics fully intact; DMD works perfectly and has a bloke called CLINT in it; functioning 8 ball playfield lock (these are £150-200 if they don't work, but this is fine); topper present; good strong flippers; unique 13-ball multiball. fires up without any errors or credit dot.

bad points: moon magnet doesn't work at present, you can try to fix it or just ignore it (game works fine without it) - i had a go at replacing a transistor, and @Calimori replaced a chip and put a varistor on the relay board, installed a circuit breaker in place of the fuse, and a connector so the moon wires can be physically detached if you choose .... but we didn't get to the bottom of it, and i need the space so someone else can have a go; cabinet has some scratches and scuffs, siderails some wear; one damaged plastic in front of moon; base of cabinet is a few months pregnant with some bowing; plastic coating on the habitrails is coming off in places.

£1100, located West London.

first the video so you can see it in action -

followed by an excess of pics, spread over two posts. i tried to photograph every noticeable area of wear as i don't want the buyer getting any surprises or thinking they were hoodwinked when they see a chip or a gouge, this thing has some scrapes and dents, it's been played a lot and has its battlescars. but the main bit, the playfield, is in good nick.

Apollo 13 pictures (17).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (31).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (18).JPG

Apollo 13 pictures (1).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (2).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (3).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (4).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (5).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (6).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (7).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (8).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (9).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (10).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (11).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (12).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (13).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (14).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (15).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (16).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (19).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (20).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (21).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (22).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (23).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (24).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (25).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (26).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (27).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (28).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (29).JPG
Apollo 13 pictures (30).JPG

Last edited:
and the rest of the pictures.

A13 pics again (1).JPG
A13 pics again (2).JPG
A13 pics again (3).JPG
A13 pics again (4).JPG
A13 pics again (5).JPG
A13 pics again (6).JPG
A13 pics again (7).JPG
A13 pics again (8).JPG
A13 pics again (9).JPG
A13 pics again (10).JPG
A13 pics again (11).JPG
A13 pics again (12).JPG
A13 pics again (13).JPG
A13 pics again (14).JPG
A13 pics again (15).JPG
A13 pics again (16).JPG
A13 pics again (17).JPG
A13 pics again (18).JPG
A13 pics again (19).JPG
A13 pics again (20).JPG
A13 pics again (21).JPG
A13 pics again (22).JPG
A13 pics again (23).JPG
A13 pics again (24).JPG
A13 pics again (25).JPG
A13 pics again (26).JPG
A13 pics again (27).JPG
A13 pics again (28).JPG
A13 pics again (29).JPG
A13 pics again (30).JPG

located West London. £1100. welcome to come and see and play.
trades also always considered (but not XFiles).

Bring it along tomorrow Dan, if no - one else buys it, I could well make you an offer!

Can I add that I had the moon magnet working 100% until some loose wires shorted and started the issue again. As the under ramp needs removing and I had a whole house to restore, I just gave up and just played it. I can talk someone through fixing it if they have the right end of a soldering iron. The service bulletin work has been done so the short probably took out one of the mofets or timing chip. Honestly though, it plays just as well without the damn thing working as it is a bit of a let down as a toy
13 ball multiball however never wears off, though it practically impossible to do anything until you get down to a more reasonable number of balls. If you play pretty well and lose the balls slowly, you don't have to wait for the machine to reload all 13 in one go. The shaker motor really makes sure you know good stuff is happening.

Thanks for the full instructions in DMD form :D
i wish they all did that now, i think it was a great feature tbh. they probably abandoned it cos people were reading instead of putting money in the slot.

ok i've now had three lowball offers by PM so i know there's interest (westdude HTF did you get my mobile number?). to answer all Qs in one place, yes, i will be interested in trades or part exchanges with cash either way; yes of course i am open to offers, this is the sales forum; no, i am not interested in fixing up the moon magnet before i sell it, i want the space and you can choose to ignore or fix and it's built into the price - according to THIS, not only do they seldom come up for sale, but they probably would go for more than i am asking, on the open market; no, i am not selling up, but i am having a cull, so expect another 3 or 4 machines in the coming days; no, i don't know how to fix it, and no, i offer no aftersales service as i haven't the time or the inclination - but i am happy to direct you to fixing experts in your area who will assess and possibly fix at your expense - no warranty is offered, sorry; yes, it is indeed 13 balls; no, i cannot guarantee that the balls aren't magnetised at present, though they seem very new looking and show no signs of magnetism).

Quasidutch auction. price will be slowly reduced by unspecified amount every unspecified time period until sold.

i wish they all did that now, i think it was a great feature tbh. they probably abandoned it cos people were reading instead of putting money in the slot.

ok i've now had three lowball offers by PM so i know there's interest (westdude HTF did you get my mobile number?). to answer all Qs in one place, yes, i will be interested in trades or part exchanges with cash either way; yes of course i am open to offers, this is the sales forum; no, i am not interested in fixing up the moon magnet before i sell it, i want the space and you can choose to ignore or fix and it's built into the price - according to THIS, not only do they seldom come up for sale, but they probably would go for more than i am asking, on the open market; no, i am not selling up, but i am having a cull, so expect another 3 or 4 machines in the coming days; no, i don't know how to fix it, and no, i offer no aftersales service as i haven't the time or the inclination - but i am happy to direct you to fixing experts in your area who will assess and possibly fix at your expense - no warranty is offered, sorry; yes, it is indeed 13 balls; no, i cannot guarantee that the balls aren't magnetised at present, though they seem very new looking and show no signs of magnetism).

Quasidutch auction. price will be slowly reduced by unspecified amount every unspecified time period until sold.
Wow .....those questions [emoji12]

Possibly owners, do not let the moon magnet not working put you off. It isn't going to change the game play in a significant way that you would even notice it wasn't working.
The magnet just picks up the ball, drops it into a hole that feeds the ball back round to the plunger and fires it back into the top of the game. Other wise the ball continues round the wire ramp and back to the flippers. As a feature it really wasn't all that great compared to a rocket that has a target inside and when countdown has been reached, the rocket starts to tilt upwards, dropping the ball into the under ramp and back to the flipper and then the number of balls for multiball are fired on to the playfield.

Dan, if you need, I can babysit one machine. If you didn't want to sell. Good luck with the sale on this.
It's a great game. I'd have it myself if I could afford it

Nice one.
If the new owner wants to pm me I can walk them through fixing the moon magnet. Or they can just play it which would be more fun.

Back
Top Bottom