What's new

Any recommendations for WPC95 replacement CPU?

Matt Vince

Site Supporter
I bought a rottendog for my AFM a few years ago and it has never been very reliable. Now I need a couple more replaced and could use advice on a better alternative.

Thanks

There's this DumbAss guy on pinside who does repro PCBs - I don't have any experience with them but guess it's another option?

I think the OP is considering more than 1 but getting OEM is still a reasonable idea.

I can second the pinled stuff if Phill is still doing it. Looks to be well engineered but I have only used the WPC display board replacement

pinled boards are smd parts so factor in the life expectancy of 3-5 years tops before you need a repair/new one ...

rottendog design theory and layout is good, but the assembly process and chip sourcing isn't and i don't think they are being made anymore anyway...

These look like they could be ok to, and there's the option to repair with plate through later. https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-wpc89-mpu.html , but i haven't used one to find out what they are like out of the box. (wpc-89 only though it seems)

Every man and his dog has had a go at making a wpc board replacement in the past. Most of them aren't any good and its a race to the bottom on price hence why many of them are rubbish quality.

, frikin battery holder on it , Jesus Christ.,,
with a pair of terminals for remote battery connection....

1663745265315.png

But yes... alas SMD all over... at least it's not connected to the bottom of the PF...... :D

On the plus side it does have a socket for NVram... so best of both worlds i guess..

with a pair of terminals for remote battery connection....

View attachment 181543

But yes... alas SMD all over... at least it's not connected to the bottom of the PF...... :D

On the plus side it does have a socket for NVram... so best of both worlds i guess..
Yeah my point was why even add a crappy cell battery holder on the board these days. Just asks for trouble and is pointless.. I love the fact it’s add your own asic, processor,rom,ram,pic aswell on them all now to. Lazy ****ing bastards…

I do wonder how many issues with these new boards are caused by putting in chinese fake ****ing 6809's or ****ty rom, rams... When you sell barebones boards you just ask for issues, as the owner can put in any old ****..

Anyway that's just my 2p, back to sorting out ****ty smd stern node boards... :)

Back
Top Bottom