What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any love for this?

DrPinball

Registered
I was messing about with a pair of RGB LED screens to make a direct replacement for a plasma...

You can select 6 colours, and change the brightness - it's just a cheap and simple alternative to getting a new plasma, maybe around £100.

Just interested if people think this is something to pursue. I can also do the same for large Sega screens.

Get these to market for £100 and you can sit at home watching your bank balance spin like the reels on a fruit machine.

Can I just ask is this a DMD replacement? Is it a direct plug in?

I would presume it is like the Stern DMDs. You would connect the ribbon cable and then supply it with 5v (or maybe 12v).
You wouldn't use the high power supply that a plasma uses.

It's a direct replacement. The led section is exactly the same size as a plasma screen. It can all fit on mounting plate that is the same size as a conventional plasma screen.

I would presume it is like the Stern DMDs. You would connect the ribbon cable and then supply it with 5v (or maybe 12v).
You wouldn't use the high power supply that a plasma uses.

It runs from 5v.

On stern I believe there is a suitable power supply for the existing led screens.

For wpc it needs a power supply to convert 110v to 5v.

It's a direct replacement. The led section is exactly the same size as a plasma screen. It can all fit on mounting plate that is the same size as a conventional plasma screen.

Great can I ask how is it powered?

Is it easy enough to get a 5v supply?
I think I remember reading somewhere that it's quite easy?

Is it easy enough to get a 5v supply?
I think I remember reading somewhere that it's quite easy?
It's easy to find 5v on a pinball. It's more difficult to find 5v that isn't already supplying key parts of the machine, and isn't already under stress due to age and overuse.

I know some dont like modifying wiring buts its easy to put a socket in the cabinet after the switch before the transformer and just use a 2A phone charger to supply 5v

So it's just a matter of removing old dmd, installing replacement and ensuring that the power is correct?

Stern is fully plug and play. Older need a dedicated power supply?

How robust is the 12v on WPC games ? A simple voltage regulator could drop the 12v down 5v providing it didn't put too much stress on the 12v.

Be interested in this are you taking orders or just gauging interest?

I think there is clearly a lot of interest in these. Get them done sir! [emoji3]

Thanks for all the interest. I'm currently working on 20+ DotClk units for people that have shown an interest and for future orders.

As a bonus, I may be able to offer an interface board for anyone with a DotClk or RunDmd that'll turn your large screen into a DMD for your pin, a bit like those GiantDots screens from Boston Pinball.

I'll start looking at this after August. Cheers again. David.

Back
Top Bottom