What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An appreciation of hospices and funeral directors

Julian Hepworth

Site Supporter
Apologies if this is out of place, but I've seen similar content on here in the past

Looking back, I never really understood what either did. A hospice was one of those places signs in the town centre pointed to. I'd assumed they were depressing places that I hoped I'd never experience.

Every high street had a funeral directors - I must have walked passed dozens over the years - I always found the window displays perplexing and never really knew what went on behind them. Who would ever want to work there ?

It was my 52nd birthday yesterday. The day before was my mother's funeral. She was diagnosed with cancer in September and it took her fast.

She spent her last few weeks in Exeter hospice. The unconditional kindness and respect they showed her, my sister and me was truly exceptional. Rarely have I felt such a profound connection with complete strangers. It's like they brought her gently into land with a combination of skill and kindness . It was a strangley beautiful thing.

My sister and I had no idea about funeral directors, and took the hospice's advice of the family business in Okehampton. From the moment we walked in, until the day of the funeral the respect, kindness, professionalism and patience was again exceptional.

It's a shame it's taken me so long to understand the incredibly important role these two institutions provide.
It's completely changed they way I think of them and I am sincerely thankful to all the people associated with them and what they do.

- Julian

Last edited:
Certainly not out place.
I had a similar experience a number of years ago and also concluded you needed certain unique skills to work in those industries and be able to support people and families during a very difficult time in their lives.
All the best to you and your family during this difficult time.

Certainly not out place.
I had a similar experience a number of years ago and also concluded you needed certain unique skills to work in those industries and be able to support people and families during a very difficult time in their lives.
All the best to you and your family during this difficult time.
Thank you. I agree entirely with your sentiment.

Back
Top Bottom