What's new

All aboard for the Rush hype train

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
what game is TWD the same as? what game is Munsters the same as? what game is turtles the same as?

when Keith has done as many games as John lets see how he is doing!
I did say this in a previous post about the amount of games Borg has done be interesting you recon 30 plus over Keith s 4
We are already seeing similarities in avengers and Godzilla the magnetic post and the ark reactor tower is one even the way they hold and release the ball is same and the type of count down sound effects

You been drinking tonight Tony 😂wizard mode portal is a bitch to get to
I have had a bottle of Jack Daniels Chris, but I must be a better player than I thought as I definitely got to the wizard mode more than on most games I’ve had.
Mind you, that was a few years ago before I started playing with 3 balls and the glass on 😂😂😂
I also had a fully modded LE with chrome apron, cars, arcade mod as anyone that knows me will know I like a mod here and there 😂

Lots of things in rush taken from other game not a bad thing really captive ball lock taken from maverick time machine Austin powers I think Ripleys had a double scoop thing too
On John s last game turtles I much prefer the pro
Spinning disk going clockwise and anti clockwise make no odds to the game
The static ball lock 6 balls in the van is cool but half of them drain on release
The adjustable diverter is ok to direct the ball on to the flipper but it’s not available all the time and you just forget about it
The moving karang thing makes no difference to game play and is not even that noticeable
What does the extra ramp do on rush ?
I think the pro is best value for money and will be just as much fun to play as the premium
I think unless you are a massive rush fan then you would be bonkers to pay £2500 over the premium for the le when in the uk often the premium sells less than the le making it more limited
I am going to wait for the game release before I make my mind up if I am going to buy one or not and if it will be a pro or premium

Rush is the Canadian flagship when it comes to music, even over Celine Dion :p Yes, I am Canadian. I don't know who does the market research for Stern, but they have a fetish for rock bands. Where is the Prince or the Madonna pin?

When are we going to get something electronic? Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, or even a theme that mixes loads of different electronica, like a general clubby theme or science fiction like TNA. I think TNA showed there is a hunger there for that kind of vibe and also with electronic music it can be mixed live with the events of the game like the Guitar Hero people did with Frequency and Amplitude on PS2. Or Rez. So many possibilities. Like Wipeout 2097 pinball.

Rush is the Canadian flagship when it comes to music, even over Celine Dion :p Yes, I am Canadian. I don't know who does the market research for Stern, but they have a fetish for rock bands. Where is the Prince or the Madonna pin?
I presume when they do their market research Prince and Madonna don't register much. I'm generalising here but I'd imagine the key demographic for buying Pinball machines is middle aged to older white guys.

With regards to electronic music I think the band's songs would have to have some kind of story to them to be able to come up with the rules and what is shown on the DMD and playfield. I don't know enough about electronic music to comment on that as it's not a genre I'm interested in.

I can see it now, a string of stern Music throught the decades pins. "The Sixties", "The Seventies", "The Eighties", etc. All they need to do is raid the top of the pop archives for the soundtracks (removing GG of course from the 70's).

I can see it now, a string of stern Music throught the decades pins. "The Sixties", "The Seventies", "The Eighties", etc. All they need to do is raid the top of the pop archives for the soundtracks (removing GG of course from the 70's).
I'm surprised that Australian band ever got a Pin made, the one who forced that school kid to play guitar all the time and miss a ton of lessons, it was tantamount to child abuse. What were they called, AC/DC?

I presume when they do their market research Prince and Madonna don't register much. I'm generalising here but I'd imagine the key demographic for buying Pinball machines is middle aged to older white guys.
I would agree with that. Stern selected bands that were at their peak in the 70s and 80s for the most part. Nothing from the mid 90s onward as far as I know.

If it's the middle aged folks (I am one) who support the resurgence of pinball with their wealth and nostalgia, then the bubble will burst when we hit retirement age, and can no longer keep up with the silver ball.

I have worked out the band strategy, Gary is working through the patches on his battle jacket :excited

1641752897714.png

Reactions: PAX
Stern know their market they build games they know they will sell enough of.

I would agree with that. Stern selected bands that were at their peak in the 70s and 80s for the most part. Nothing from the mid 90s onward as far as I know.

If it's the middle aged folks (I am one) who support the resurgence of pinball with their wealth and nostalgia, then the bubble will burst when we hit retirement age, and can no longer keep up with the silver ball.

They'll just adjust the brands as the younger people grow up?
The issue will be when there's not enough younger people getting into pinball to carry it on.
I think stern will survive either way , they will just adapt to different markets,new tech and maybe have to alter how they market or sell

I have worked out the band strategy, Gary is working through the patches on his battle jacket :excited

View attachment 157188

Would never happen but give me a Marillion (fish era ) pin plz

Well, theme isn’t the be-all-and-end-all of everything (speaking as the person who owns a fishing-themed pin).

That's different imo.
The original themes from the older games are much easier to get into because of the humour.

I find a classic game with a unique theme more approachable than a modern one that's licenced but that's just me.
I wish there were more original themes again but licence's must do well for stern and others.

I've never fished or been a domestic terrorist in a bulldozer but I love Fish Tales and Road Show😂

That's different imo.
The original themes from the older games are much easier to get into because of the humour.

I find a classic game with a unique theme more approachable than a modern one that's licenced but that's just me.
I wish there were more original themes again but licence's must do well for stern and others.

I've never fished or been a domestic terrorist in a bulldozer but I love Fish Tales and Road Show😂
I’ve got to admit, I’ve had a weird relationship with Stern’s licensed pins…

I played Stranger Things, thought the film clips were interesting, and have subsequently watched the entirety of Season 1.

I played the Led Zeppelin pinball machine, knowing nothing about Led Zeppelin, and have now downloaded Immigrant Song.

I had limited interest in Godzilla, had never heard of Toho Godzilla, and have now watched Shin Godzilla, and am trying to work out how to watch the earlier films…

That said… I have now listened to some RUSH music and don’t like it. I think, with music pins, you need to find the music bearable, even if you’re not a huge fan.

Watching the stream. The music seems very vanilla rock. I am looking for 2 new machines and I'd have to play this first.

Video from playing rush last week. Sorry about the quality but had to dash over and only had my 360 Mini cam charged.

One more to come with slightly better resolution.

Reactions: Jib
Speaking of which I recommend watching the documentary 'Tread'. I found it absolutely gripping, had me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

It's on Sky Documentaries/Catchup.

When are we going to get something electronic? Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, or even a theme that mixes loads of different electronica, like a general clubby theme or science fiction like TNA. I think TNA showed there is a hunger there for that kind of vibe and also with electronic music it can be mixed live with the events of the game like the Guitar Hero people did with Frequency and Amplitude on PS2. Or Rez. So many possibilities. Like Wipeout 2097 pinball.

Electronic music works great for Pinball as a soundtrack. A pin based on a musical artist less so.

I love synthwave and that style of music works so well on TNA, it pumps you up.
Not to mention the aesthetic is a match made in heaven too.

I can imagine a spinner adding sound to the music, different shots adding layers and it building up as you score.

This makes me think pinballs themed after musical artists aren't really themes.
There needs to somewhat of a narrative or journey.

In Fish Tales you're catching fish and lying about it.
In Black Rose you're sinking ships, finding treasure, escaping sharks..
In Road Show you're traveling the USA,collecting souvenirs, killing innocents and destroying (heh they really are terrorists?!)
HS2, police chase....
I can think of other Bally Williams games I barely know and understand the narrative or jist of them

I could go on..
However they are games I know. I'm not that familiar with modern games and I know some have similar feels.
But band or music based ones.. what are you doing? Just trying to get lots of points in efficient ways?

Maybe this is why I have struggled to get into Sterns and especially the music based ones (I'm getting there slowly) and why lots of people find them less approachable?

Slightly off topic but also related considering I am a bit of A Rush fan and still except to the shots and layouts looking good I don't particularly care that it plays music of Rush.
Same with IMdn, ACDC, GNR Etc. If I like an artist l can listen to them, do I really need to hear the same few songs on as pinball machine?

This makes me think pinballs themed after musical artists aren't really themes.
There needs to somewhat of a narrative or journey.

In Fish Tales you're catching fish and lying about it.
In Black Rose you're sinking ships, finding treasure, escaping sharks..
In Road Show you're traveling the USA,collecting souvenirs, killing innocents and destroying (heh they really are terrorists?!)
HS2, police chase....
I can think of other Bally Williams games I barely know and understand the narrative or jist of them

That’s why I’ve always thought a Mamma Mia! pin would be brilliant. Has upbeat ABBA music, a great fun story and the opportunity for humorous video clips. Sadly, I suspect Stern think it wouldn’t poll well with rich middle-aged to elderly American men, which is what I expect they think are their core market.

I could go on..
However they are games I know. I'm not that familiar with modern games and I know some have similar feels.
But band or music based ones.. what are you doing? Just trying to get lots of points in efficient ways?

From playing a bit of Led Zeppelin, yeah. Start mode, shoot the lit shots, shoot the spinner X times, etc.

There’s no purpose or theme to it, really - it is, what I’d call as a board gamer, a bit of an ‘abstract’. You know, like the difference between checkers/draughts and Warhammer 40k as the representation of a battle. It’s mechanically sound, but doesn’t really create a story.

Someone else can probably confirm.

Maybe this is why I have struggled to get into Sterns and especially the music based ones (I'm getting there slowly) and why lots of people find them less approachable?

It’s not really ‘Sterns’, as such. I’ve got Lord of the Rings. You collect the fellowship, defeat the Balrog, start modes to fight Saruman or the Witchking, visit the Path of the Dead to collect undead warriors to start the Return of the King multiball, visit Aragorn’s sword three times to defend the two towers, destroy the Ring, get There and Back again and, finally, if you’re good enough, you get to the promised land.

So… you’re actually playing through a book and three films. You can’t get more narrative-based than that, really.

Godzilla is, from what I’ve seen, also moderately narrative based and probably slightly better than LoTR at representing visually, on the playfield, what you’re supposed to be shooting at. Godzilla needs to defend Earth cities against monsters. You shoot a building - it collapses. You shoot MechaGodzilla, it activates. You shoot the maser cannon and Tesla strikes to activate those things. You select cities and monsters to start a fight.

Slightly off topic but also related considering I am a bit of A Rush fan and still except to the shots and layouts looking good I don't particularly care that it plays music of Rush.
Same with IMdn, ACDC, GNR Etc. If I like an artist l can listen to them, do I really need to hear the same few songs on as pinball machine?
Yeah. I’m trying to imagine a Caro Emerald pin (I like most of her songs) and TBH, unless the track/tempo responded to the action on the playfield, I‘d be better off playing FT with headphones on.

Last edited:
That’s why I’ve always thought a Mamma Mia! pin would be brilliant. Has upbeat ABBA music, a great fun story and the opportunity for humorous video clips. Sadly, I suspect Stern think it wouldn’t poll well with rich middle-aged to elderly American men, which is what I expect they think are their core market.

Stern has no doubts what their core market is, and its not people who are into ABBA.

From playing a bit of Led Zeppelin, yeah. Start mode, shoot the lit shots, shoot the spinner X times, etc.

There’s no purpose or theme to it, really - it is, what I’d call as a board gamer, a bit of an ‘abstract’. You know, like the difference between checkers/draughts and Warhammer 40k as the representation of a battle. It’s mechanically sound, but doesn’t really create a story.

Someone else can probably confirm.

The core object of pinball is to score a high score. - there are further objects of Led Zeppelin which are to 1: complete all songs, 2: get to the World Tour, and 3: score platinum records to get to Celebration day.

Back
Top Bottom