What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC/DC interactive LCD mod

I was thinking the same thing. Uses the raspberry pi, but it works interactively with the game so there would probably be some programming work there.

Dave's good with stuff like that so I am sure he could give it a go.
Eh Dave ?
And I ain't even go a friggin AC/DC.

Dave's good with stuff like that so I am sure he could give it a go.
Eh Dave ?
And I ain't even go a friggin AC/DC.

Hahahah. Nah, me either. I'm no AC/DC fan, but I love the pin.

I was thinking more like a generic thing where you could add your own images/videos and even your own switch inputs so you can tailor it for any game?

This mod uses oga's pinball browser software to update the game rom - when a feature is activated I think the updated rom sends some info down the serial port of the cpu board - the Raspberry Pi picks up the serial data and presents a video to match the mode.

No wonder it's out of stock - like all good ideas, the practicalities of building all of these screen systems and cables is a pain! After 200+ DMD Extenders I've nearly had my fill!!

Hahahah. Nah, me either. I'm no AC/DC fan, but I love the pin.

I was thinking more like a generic thing where you could add your own images/videos and even your own switch inputs so you can tailor it for any game?

I thought about doing this before - something that interfaces to the switch matrix and allows you to program sounds/graphics based on a switch input.

This mod uses oga's pinball browser software to update the game rom - when a feature is activated I think the updated rom sends some info down the serial port of the cpu board - the Raspberry Pi picks up the serial data and presents a video to match the mode.

No wonder it's out of stock - like all good ideas, the practicalities of building all of these screen systems and cables is a pain! After 200+ DMD Extenders I've nearly had my fill!!

Everything you have done has been hugely appreciated. Even if you stopped tomorrow (please don't...ever.) you would still be the guy that made affordable screen options available to everyone.

I thought about doing this before - something that interfaces to the switch matrix and allows you to program sounds/graphics based on a switch input.

Now you're talking. Already I am thinking of some sort of projection that lights up a lane or a ramp for example so as to give a better visual cue on where to shoot next?

You need someone on minimum wage putting these things together for you.

Do it Dave, there are loads of machines that this can run with.

Do it Dave, there are loads of machines that this can run with.
I'm a bit short for time at the moment!
If I paid someone else to do it either the cost would double, or I'd make nothing from it - and it takes too much time to not get anything from it!

Sounds like you need to raise your prices then. Didn't realize you were short on finding time to look into this.

I'm a bit short for time at the moment!
If I paid someone else to do it either the cost would double, or I'd make nothing from it - and it takes too much time to not get anything from it!

I bet there is a fair amount of tedium building the harnesses and whatnot. I promise to buy more when funds allow :thumbs:

I bet there is a fair amount of tedium building the harnesses and whatnot. I promise to buy more when funds allow :thumbs:
Plus my OCD doesn't help... I have to test everything very, very carefully so I don't destroy someone's pinball!

Plus my OCD doesn't help... I have to test everything very, very carefully so I don't destroy someone's pinball!

Perhaps a simple test rig setup could speed up the process? Something like a few leds that light up (or not) when you plug a harness in? I say simple, but probably extra work you don't need.

Your product is second to none Dave.
It's a great piece of kit at a great price.
Oh that reminds me I want another DMD for a WPC 89 machine.
Whenever is convenient to you pal, just let me know.

Perhaps a simple test rig setup could speed up the process? Something like a few leds that light up (or not) when you plug a harness in? I say simple, but probably extra work you don't need.
I have some test equipment setup - I run a DMD Controller simulator on a Raspberry Pi playing back the preview data, this allows each DMD Extender to be tested and I don't need to plug each one into a pinball machine. I probably need to get some rigs setup to test continuity of my cables.

Back
Top Bottom