What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Good First Pin??

neilljj

Site Supporter
Hi guys so after getting my first Virtual Pinball machine at the beginning the year as a Christmas present I'm totally hooked and now need a real Pinball machine to stand next to it. I have seen that there is a Williams Rollergames on the forsale forum.
Would this be a good Pin to have fun with and learn how to look after one?

This is my Virtual Pinball machine that I play all the time.

Attachments

• 20231108_082641.jpg
    20231108_082641.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20231108_082706.jpg
    20231108_082706.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 75
That Vpin looks very confusing. It looks to have 3 displays? a dmd under the glass, an LCD display above the glass ( in the usual location for a dmd) and then the back glass display like on a jersey jack game. And what is the deal with all of the buttons on the side? they look too low to be able to rest your hands on the side armour, and reach down to them?

That small screen under the backbox works as the dmd on games and the one under the glass is the led matrix that lights up as well as the led stripes either side of the playfield.
Anyway I like it. I'm sorry if it's all wrong.

That small screen under the backbox works as the dmd on games and the one under the glass is the led matrix that lights up as well as the led stripes either side of the playfield.
Anyway I like it. I'm sorry if it's all wrong.

That's all that matters! A lot of us got our first taste of owning a real pin first through virtual. You've done it the right way imo. Although be warned, once a real pin gets in the house, virtual just wont feel the same ever again.

What games are you enjoying on the virtual machine ? Those are the games I’d be looking out for.

Great advice. Why don't you try getting rollergames on the vpin, see if you like it?

You will though, its a banger. Good value for money also, and if I'm not mistaken, is being sold by @MajesticPinball who looks after his games immaculately, and will have good followup on any questions you have.

Hi Neill,

Replicas has a good point but it could also be an expensive one as the virtual game you like might be a 10k machine.
If you have roller games on your virtual and like it then that could /should translate.

If the price is right for your budget and you like the theme then thats a good start.

As far as a good one to start you ref care and maintenance. Pinballs are like cars.
The older (solid state) ones are simpler and easier to work on when things go wrong but you run the risk of more issues.
The newer ones (last 10-15 yrs) should be relatively issue free but thats not always the case.

The basic maintenance cleaning, replacement of rubbers etc and parts are the same regardless of age if the playfield is in decent /good condition.

Yes i have rollergames on the vpin i enjoy it and play it a lot.
and yes i have been watching the one Majestic is selling for a long time now, i like a lot of the ones williams made in the 90's like high speed 2 and Diner, Taxi and also like the Sega machines.

HS2 was my second pin and I've bought another since . Great game . Very simple rule set but you don't really get bored of completing it, sometimes several times in one game

Nothing wrong with RollerGames, but I would go for something from the DMD era
Creature from the Black Lagon
Fishtales
Black rose
But these games are now 30 years old
Something like Monopoly is only 20 years old

That's the Arcadeland Vpin isn't it? I've watched their promotional videos and I think they look spot on for a Vpin.

I'm not sure it's critical what your first pin is, so long as it's not a lame duck.

Is it daft to suggest the Super Mario that's up for sale?

That's the Arcadeland Vpin isn't it? I've watched their promotional videos and I think they look spot on for a Vpin.

I'm not sure it's critical what your first pin is, so long as it's not a lame duck.

Is it daft to suggest the Super Mario that's up for sale?
It depends what you're into, play-wise. My first pin was Fish Tales, but I happen to like mean pins whereas other people like toys, theme and/or more casual gameplay.

Depends how comfortable you are with fixing and maintenance, pre white star stern 2000 can be temperamental, especially things like Star trek the next gen

If it's been well maintained and rebuilt not so much, even the twighlight zone I currently have that's been fully rebuilt has issues. The boards are 30 years old and mostly will cause some sort of problem at some point.

If you just want to play your be better getting a newer game

Depends how comfortable you are with fixing and maintenance, pre white star stern 2000 can be temperamental, especially things like Star trek the next gen

If it's been well maintained and rebuilt not so much, even the twighlight zone I currently have that's been fully rebuilt has issues. The boards are 30 years old and mostly will cause some sort of problem at some point.

If you just want to play your be better getting a newer game
It does vary a lot. I'd be confident buying from @MajesticPinball. Generally, as a rule, if you want to play pinball - rather than collecting machines - purchase from someone who plays regularly or does repair work (or both). We've worn holes in the artwork of a Stern Godzilla we bought new-in-box, so we hammer our machines, and all the old ones we didn't buy from a regular player broke down within days.

We got a second pin because our first pin (the Fish Tales) broke down fortnightly for the first seven months and, even though it's now more reliable, it broke down three times during a London and SE League tournament. Our Attack from Mars, which we got from a tournament player, had a fuse problem when we got it into the house and then the flippers broke after our tournament and needed a rebuild, but it's otherwise (touch wood) been pretty bulletproof. We've also got a pretty bulletproof Creature from the Black Lagoon (touch wood), but that had been traded about a fair bit in the community before we got it. Our Lord of the Rings (post-2000 Stern) was bulletproof except for a child breaking the auto plunge. But we've also had a couple of pins with complex electrical faults that spent most of the time here with an Out-of-Order sign propped on the backglass.

Unfortunately, you can't tell what will die under sustained play from a brief try at someone's house. So, I'd try to get the history of the machine (or buy from a restorer).

Last edited:
My first pin was a Roller Games, I had it for many years and was pretty Rick solid, very reliable and so much fun, especially with the ability to steal other players locked balls.
For me at the time I couldn’t afford the more desirable High Speed as the layout is fairly similar without the higher price tag. Just as much fun, both games designed by the legendary Steve Ritchie.

Once you’ve had a system 11 for a while, you could upgrade to a 90’s DMD era game. But be warned, it won’t be long before you’re on the lookout for your next machine 😁.

It does vary a lot. I'd be confident buying from @MajesticPinball.

100% this - James is absolutely trustworthy- he beautifully maintains the games at pinball republic and has phenomenonal feedback from everyone who deals with him.

The rollergames for sale is a total steal at that price, would highly recommend.

Yuen

Hi guys so after getting my first Virtual Pinball machine at the beginning the year as a Christmas present I'm totally hooked and now need a real Pinball machine to stand next to it. I have seen that there is a Williams Rollergames on the forsale forum.
Would this be a good Pin to have fun with and learn how to look after one?

This is my Virtual Pinball machine that I play all the time.
Whereabouts in North Wales are you mate? I'm in Broughton.

Wow thanks everyone for all your brilliant and helpful comments, it's great to have a nice conversation about something else which isn't doom and gloom.
I'll try now to answer some of the questions.
@Tilt_Birmingham thanks so much for your kind offer i really wish i was closer but i am up here in North wales now.

@Pop Bumper Pete Yes i do really like fishtales and definitely black rose very good games both of them.

@JWG9999 Hi and yes it is an arcadeland machine and i love playing on it, Since i got that and my arcade machine the PS5 just sits in the corner gathering dust! Im on the edge of turning 50 soon so i'm treating myself now lol.

@VeeMonroe Hi and yes i get what you mean it's just like buying a car it's either going to be nice to you or a total nightmare, but i do have a bit of a soft spot for rollergames as i remember watching it on sky tv all those years ago with my Mum, so when i saw it on the VPin i was well chuffed to see they had made a pinball table of the show.

@cmrl9 Hi and thanks for the reply, i'm not adverse to tinkering with the pinball table and fixing things if i am able to as i think that's part of the fun of owning something like a Pinball machine. and hopefully there will be plenty of decent people on here like yourself to offer help and suggestions if i have problems once i do finally get one.

@Chris P Hello mate yes this is where i find myself already! i told myself i'll get a VPin and then i won't need a real machine. Silly Silly me!!!!!

@Jackpot Hello and yes i completely agree James does a lot of great work and i have been watching his videos on youtube.

@Crewey Hello mate funny you should say Broughton as I just got back from there with the Mrs. I'm in Denbigh mate.

There is a riverboat gambler not to far from me at £1500 on Facebook market place. Is thita good price? It looks in decent condition but I can see that the slot machine is missing on the top left of the playfield.

There is a riverboat gambler not to far from me at £1500 on Facebook market place. Is thita good price? It looks in decent condition but I can see that the slot machine is missing on the top left of the playfield.
No mate. Don’t make the map fit the ground just because you’re excited for your first pin. Make it the right choice. Facebook can be the Wild West for pins. Try and stick to here

Yes i was thinking that. Ok so i want to spend up to £2000 for my first real Pinball Machine i could possibly go up a little more if i have to, i'm not looking for showroom model but something that works and i can play, but i can slowly spend my time learning and doing jobs on it to bring it up to a lovely machine.
I was interested in the Rollergames that was on here and was willing to up my price but it seems someone got a bit upset with the offers that came in, but hey welcome to the real word i get constant shall we say offers all the time when i am selling stuff. it's par for the course i'm affraid! and things are only worth what other people are willing to pay, something we all learn the hard way.

Yes i was thinking that. Ok so i want to spend up to £2000 for my first real Pinball Machine i could possibly go up a little more if i have to, i'm not looking for showroom model but something that works and i can play, but i can slowly spend my time learning and doing jobs on it to bring it up to a lovely machine.
I was interested in the Rollergames that was on here and was willing to up my price but it seems someone got a bit upset with the offers that came in, but hey welcome to the real word i get constant shall we say offers all the time when i am selling stuff. it's par for the course i'm affraid! and things are only worth what other people are willing to pay, something we all learn the hard way.

I'd message him, he'd probably still sell it for the right price, really that game is worth 2k>

I didn't get "upset" I'm exceptionally busy and don't have time to entertain lowballers. You told me you couldn't afford more than 1k because your going to Orlando for 3 weeks then comment here how you could stretch to 2k or more 🤷🏼‍♂️ Baring in mind I'm already loosing £500+ (not including labour) by selling at £1700

Last edited:

You're very unlikely in my view to get anything better than that rollergames for your £2K. Would try and snap it up if you still can/if you are serious about owning a real pin.

I have a very good reason why i have more money to play with now James and i'm happy to tell you the reason via PM if you like and i had sent you a PM a few days ago apologising to you about my hasty low offer if you saw it? and i also asked if you could send a couple of photos of the cabinet as i just wanted to see what the sides looked like as i was seriously thinking about going for this.
but i don't want any bad blood with you mate i'm far to old for all that crap, thanks.

I'd agree. For under 2k you'll get a corpse of a game that you'll be putting in months and months of labour plus a lot of money.

That Rollergames was around 2.5k a year or so ago (or thereabouts) and since James has had it it's been fully 'serviced' and given a lot of love.
I find it absolutely insulting people think it's worth 1k, no surprise he removed it from sale.

No doubt it'll return to a decent value soon, we're just in a funny time at the mo.

To put things into perspective I have just bought a BOP for 1750 less than 2 weeks ago.
Bought as seen in 2 parts (head removed) so no way of testing.
Absolutely filthy as I like them to be albeit PF and ramps looked ok and checking over boards only 1 slight hack.
It also had scrappy legs minus bolts / feet and the cab faded with scarring everywhere.
There was no history as the guy had passed away but to me it basically looked like it had originally bought as a project.

So about now most are thinking WTAF 😱
I’m sure lots would have walked away and I did kinda consider it too but what does sub 2k actually get you now?
A. Not a lot!
So this Rollergames looks like a NIB in comparison. 👍

As for an update on the BOP after a couple of hours tinkering we got it working and it has became a great 1st project for @Chaggers who is actually spending far too much 🤪

Back
Top Bottom