What's new

80s classic Ballys appreciation thread

Love this thread right up my street. Agree on centaur, fathom , Flash Gordon, do not forget Electra , medusa and spy hunter(!) still love my fathom owned it forever but thinking of selling it this year as it has been played so much we always turn another machine on....:hmm::thumbs:
Good call.... Spy Hunter is ace :) I had one here for a while, loved it.

A few of my YouTube vids.

First up is one of the first games I played after finishing the total playfield restoration on GOLD BALL. An often derided title I think GB is excellent. Yes it's very simple and yes it's missing SQUAWK & TALK sound and no it hasn't got any drop-targets but... it's bloody fast, has odd lop-sided gameplay due to missing right-hand in-lane (it's has a passive slingshot too), retro space-hippy art, and zappy sounds that work really well with the play. Like many, mine was bought for spares, but so glad I was able to save it.

Next, from a MR & MRS PAC-MAN here's a Bally AS-2518-61 REV.D SQUAWK & TALK SOUND MODULE in bench test:

As I dig deeper into the architecture I've come to appreciate the genius that the S&T sound board was for it's time.

One word Elektra. Made in the 81. What a year that was for Bally. Still not sure how they didn't wipe the floor with Williams by 84. So many good games and why I spent along time creating a decent s&t replacement sound board. Some of the best sound boards and hardware were developed in the 80s :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't forget the sounds Jim. Centaur probably has the best speech of the era.

But Elektra has awesome speech too. Same guy ? but without the say it again board

Don't forget the sounds Jim. Centaur probably has the best speech of the era.

But Elektra has awesome speech too. Same guy ? but without the say it again board

All the s&t boards have great speech though pretty similar due to the chip used. If you use one of my sound boards then you can have echo/reverb on any game to :)

My personal favourite speech was on pacman. 'Pacman aggressive!'

Second dibs on the fathom :)
I went to look at one on Wednesday in Brighton , it's a bit rough but hoping the guy decides to sell it to me.....

Woah that Elecktra looks awesome ....

Recognising that the dibs thing is now getting out of hand ....

First dibs on any and every currently undibbed 70s to 90s bally, 70s to 90s williams, stern (pre and post data east), 70s to 80s gottlieb, data east, 70s em zacc ... games for sale on this forum at any future time

The segas, re-runs, jersey jacks, BoP 2.0, heighway and other stuff I leave to you guys

Having secured this vast array of dibbing rights, I will sell these rights off to folk that actually want the 95 per cent of titles that I don't

A list titles first dibs can be purchased from me for £200. Mm, cv, cc etc
B list titles first dibs are £100 taxi, swords of fury, cyclone etc
C list titles first dibs are £50. Harlem globetrotters, gilligans island, bad cats etc

I will also sell options on dibbing rights, but it will take me a while to run the data through my black-scholes model

Last edited:
Having nearly completed my holy grail line up (All 80's) it consists of :

Silverball Mania,
Space Invaders
Seeburg DS160 Jukebox (I know this is 1962 but for some reason that's what they had)

The lineup is still missing the elusive Mystic....

Also in my 80's collection are :

Vector
Medusa
Eight Ball Deluxe

Back
Top Bottom